• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Replacing the Engine - Need to know recomonded place to buy an Engine

raveeJaya

Hello Experts,

One of my friend  wanted to replace the engine of her car 121 2004 JDM.

Please recommend good place to buy an engine and a good mechanic to do the engine replacement.

Thanks,

Ravee

Edited by raveeJaya

On 26/09/2016 at 1:51 PM, raveeJaya said:

Hello Experts,

Please recommend good place to buy an engine and a good mechanic to do the engine replacement.

Thanks,

Ravee

Well, Mechanics of course you may have find on your own, And then you could check Engines in Jayasiri Mawanella and along in the Kurunegala Side, Hope you could grab one at a best price from those areas.

On 9/26/2016 at 1:51 PM, raveeJaya said:

Hello Experts,

Thanks,

Ravee

Replacing the engine of a 2004 Japanese Corolla? Doesn't that sound a little unusual or a suggestion of a makabass?

What's the exact problem your friend is facing?

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Replacing the engine of a 2004 Japanese Corolla? Doesn't that sound a little unusual or a suggestion of a makabass?

What's the exact problem your friend is facing?

It is burning Oil. For 5000km it is burning about 1.5L. Also it is having a pre ignition. Probably due to carbon deposits.

AS I can see there are 2 option.

1. Replace with a used engine.

2. Do a engine rebuild, which is expensive I guess.

Initially engine was not burning oil at all. Later he has put engine Flush because of the pre- ignition knock.Now it has started to burn oil. Millage of the Car is 130,000km. but it may be not true.

Thanks,

Raveendra

Understandably you don't trust the mileage of the car, but then how are you going to trust the reliability of an used engine? Burning  of oil can be due leaky valve guides. If so it is not going to be a major rebuild. Even if it requires a full overhaul of the engine (a bit unlikely) still you have a trustworthy engine with you. First check whether the engine really requires a full rebuild and then decide. Is you friend planning to sell the car soon after the engine swap?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

Understandably you don't trust the mileage of the car, but then how are you going to trust the reliability of an used engine? Burning  of oil can be due leaky valve guides. If so it is not going to be a major rebuild. Even if it requires a full overhaul of the engine (a bit unlikely) still you have a trustworthy engine with you. First check whether the engine really requires a full rebuild and then decide. Is you friend planning to sell the car soon after the engine swap?

Hi Rumesh,

If it is a Leaky valve guide is there a way we can get to know without dismentaling the engine ?

If he is going to rebuild from where should we buy the Engine parts. T*y*t* lanka or a place like GS A*TO.

I think prices are bit cheaper compared to the T*y*t* lanka .

He might sell the vehicle in a 1 years time, but he want to make sure the engine will be fine for the next buyer as well.

Thank you,

Ravee

You can find an explanation on how to do a compression test/identifying the cause of oil burning on this thread 

Before that get the PCV valve and OCV filter checked for possible clogging up. 1NZ-FE and 2NZ-FE engines are known for accumulation of oil gunk unless oil is changed at proper intervals. BTW what is the engine oil used (10W30/15W40 etc)

3 minutes ago, Rumesh88 said:

You can find an explanation on how to do a compression test/identifying the cause of oil burning on this thread 

Before that get the PCV valve and OCV filter checked for possible clogging up. 1NZ-FE and 2NZ-FE engines are known for accumulation of oil gunk unless oil is changed at proper intervals. BTW what is the engine oil used (10W30/15W40 etc)

Rumesh , Thank you for your support on this.

PCV valve was tested and working fine. Im unaware of OCV filter.

Initially Toyota 10W30 was using and now he is using Lanka supper plus 40.

Regards,

Ravee

11 minutes ago, Rumesh88 said:

Hi Rumesh,

Could you give me a contact number of a known person do a compression test. I live in Thalahena area. but its ok if the place  is within 10-15km

Thanks,

Ravee

15 minutes ago, raveeJaya said:

Rumesh , Thank you for your support on this.

PCV valve was tested and working fine. Im unaware of OCV filter.

Initially Toyota 10W30 was using and now he is using Lanka supper plus 40.

Regards,

Ravee

OCV filter is a small screen on the path of the Oil Control Valve (VVTi actuator). It sits behind a No.7 Allen key head by the side of the VVTi actuator. However, it would not cause an oil burn.

I will PM you a contact but not in Thalahena area I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

We have an update on the issue. My friend decided to rebuild the engine. I though this information will have a value for the forum users.

Total damage will be around 85K. However once the engine is build it will become like a brand new as the repair will replace most of the parts. Engine bore was not damaged and the Mechanic told that there is no need of put new pistons to the engine.

Following parts will be replaced.

Engine overhaul kit ( this contains,  gaskets, oil seals,valve seals etc..)

Main bearing set

Bggen bearing set

Ring set

Timing chain

Timing adjusters (2 nos)

Chain tensioner

He decided to put all of these stuff, then engine will be good for several years.

I got some picture of the dismentalled engine. It has lots of carbon build up on the piston head.

IMG_20161003_170152913.jpg

IMG_20161003_170201742.jpg

IMG_20161003_171917730.jpg

IMG_20161003_171929200.jpg

IMG_20161003_171934462.jpg

Edited by raveeJaya
  • Like 4

More Updates.

So the total cost was came about 90K +. Good thing id the Vehicle is performing really good.

@DhoRK I got to know the mechanic from this forum. It was Udara Motors, Angampitiya Road, Athulkotte. We can recommend him as we got a real good quality job done at his place.

Thing We leant from this project was as follows.

Parts are not always cheap at G* auto as T*Y*T* l*nk*. So guys its good to get a quotation from several places before buy the stuffs. Because there was a huge price different in above two places for the following parts. It was cheaper at  the Agent.

Full overhaul kit

Timing Chains

Ring Set.

Edited by raveeJaya

20 minutes ago, raveeJaya said:

More Updates.

So the total cost was came about 90K +. Good thing id the Vehicle is performing really good.

@DhoRK I got to know the mechanic from this forum. It was Udara Motors, Angampitiya Road, Rajagiriya. We can recomond him as we got a real good quality job done at his place.

Thing We leant from this project was as follows.

Parts are not always cheap at G* auto as T*Y*T* l*nk*. So guys its good to get a quotation from several places before buy the stuffs. Because there was a huge price different in above two places for the following parts. It was cheaper at  the Agent.

Full overhaul kit

Timing Chains

Ring Set.

Great information. Can you please put some cost breakdown for major parts that got replaced + labor if possible ?

Just now, hrm said:

Great information. Can you please put some cost breakdown for major parts that got replaced + labor if possible ?

Yes Sure.

Cost for the  Labor + chemicals used to clean the engine = 37300

Overhaul kit = 14000

Timing Chain = 11900

Ring Set = 8800

Timing Tensioner  =  2900

Timing Adjuster 1 = 5450

Timing Adjuster 2 = 4100

Biggen bearing set = 2350

Main bearing set    = 3750

Trust Bearing set = 1700

Engine oil 8 Liters +  filter  = 4570

• Like 3

Angampitiya Road is in Ethulkotte innit? Not Rajagiriya?

and you know what's funny... people say Toyota parts are cheap but I got some of the same stuff for my Kia recently (from Hyundai Lanka and Kia Motors) and they cost MUCH LESS than the prices in this list....

Sorry for the OT

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Angampitiya Road is in Ethulkotte innit? Not Rajagiriya?

and you know what's funny... people say Toyota parts are cheap but I got some of the same stuff for my Kia recently (from Hyundai Lanka and Kia Motors) and they cost MUCH LESS than the prices in this list....

Sorry for the OT

Toyota Parts are cheap only if you use the non-genuine stuff. Genuine Toyota parts are quite expensive overall.

9 hours ago, raveeJaya said:

Guys any recommended Oil to put for the engine.  Heard Mobil 2000 is good for the 1NZ-Fe engine.

Anyway thanks for the details abt the mechanic.I use Toyota Genuine oil.I had used the Mobil 2000 but it did not last longer as the Toyota one.

• Like 1