• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help on Finding & Buying a BMW E38

Kal-El

Question

Hi,

This has reference to one of my earlier posts, in which i sought advise from upgrading from my Jaguar S type to a model within BMW E38, E39, E60, Jaguar XJ X350, etc.
With valuable guidance from AL members and through my own evaluation, I have decided to go for a BMW E38 (or X308 XJ LWB Jaguar as X350 is currently out of my budget), preferably a facelifted 1998 - 2001, 740iL long wheel base car.

From my limited knowledge, I think there are very few long wheel base E38's in the country, hence finding one has become somewhat of a challenge, hence I seek the help from
fellow AL members. During last 12 months, there were 02 LWB cars advertised on quick sites and here on AL. I wonder who own these now and also interested to know more details of these elusive cars. 

Thanking you 
Kal-El

bmw-e38.jpg

Edited by Kal-El

3 answers to this question

Very good choice, but it's old!

But you must find a nicely maintained example. Just pop to the Agents and ask the used car people , they're the best people to ask for a well maintained example.

Don't buy a Lwb unless you wan't to be driven in it,.. otherwise you look like the driver.  ;)

Good luck in finding the Ultimate Driving Mechiene,..!

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Hey lovely to see someone who's as equally interested in E38's!

At one point I was head over heels over this car, and in September 2015 I found one of the most perfect models on the island for sale! 

It was a silver/grey model (post face lift) with a 3.5 engine, and an auto transmission. The body kit and rims were identical to the picture you've posted. It was a full option car and not been used a lot. Was formally owned by Harry Jayawardana, and then finally the former SL Airlines head (I believe). I called and checked with the broker in January 2016 and it was still there. I doubt its there anymore but I've still got the guys number.... maybe you could track it down. 

Also there were some more nice ones for sale, like a 740i which had a KX or a KT license plate as it was brought down newly by a Diplomat. It was a bit dark blue, was a bit taller and was pre facelift. It had very miles on it. I'm assuming it would have been stuck at the customs for years so it would have been an almost brand new model.

The max price of these gals was about 3 mil, and the lowest was 2mil +. But one thing that swayed me away from this, was the sheer amount of electronic nightmares it contains. I read a lot on E38/BMW forums about how you should either have a big amount of your budget allocated for this or just know how to work electrical's yourself. 

Because this was technically a 90's baby that went on to the early 2000's as well. So a lot of the technology was new and a little experimental, so inevitably stuff would break down. Not as much as a Jag or a LR/RR I guess? LOL

But the compromise here would be getting an E34 5er . It has a similar design philosophy, its as big as the E38, and on top of that its the last hand built generation 5er, also it has very little electronics = less complicated repairs. Most models came with the legendary 'M60' engine which was built like a tank and could hit 6 figures in miles (so I've read and heard).  Top it all off with a good old 5 speed manual. Who doesn't love a manual on a Bimmer. 

These babies go for about 1mil to max 2mil. You get a lot of 518i's and the occasion 520i. But theres a rare 525Tdi , and a  ultra rare 528i which I saw last week. 

I'd say if you want to build up an amazing BMW, go for the E34, which is quintessentially BMW and stands for all things German. You could build it into one amazing car. 

Check this playlist with some beautiful E38/E34 videos I've found. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeTrwNYLDy0LbrramvzmQm8fXl8kNjfwD

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 10.01.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 10.01.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 10.01.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 10.01.17 AM.png

• Thanks 1

First sorry for the delay in reply as I've been away from this forum for nearly a year.

Also thank you very much for the very comprehensive answer and suggestion and I highly appreciate that.

Yes, E34 is the more practice choice and at one point, I really wanted to buy one.

But now E38 is what I am lusting for.

Please PM me the contact number of the Broker.

Thanks