• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

KE72 high engine noise and engine slowing down

UNIX

Question

Hello good people! We have a 1982 KE-72 wagon which have two main issues.

1) In first and second gears engine gets slowed with A/C on. This happens only with A/C powered on. Without A/C it works perfectly. And only in 1st and 2nd gears this slowness appears. In 3rd and 4th gears engine runs smoothly. This slowness wasn't there before. It was running okay even though it felt under powered with A/C.

2) In 4th gear around 80kmph engine makes a huge noise. That with A/C too. Without A/C doing around 100kmph is okayish but after that again that huge noise comes. I honestly was afraid if this thing will blow up. :D Is this due to engine degradation? It's got almost 300k in odo. Are there anything can be done to restore it to a better state if it's engine degradation? Or this might be some mechanical problem? What things can be done to solve this may be?

Thank you :)

7 answers to this question

Hello and welcome to AL.

The Toyota K series engine should be good more miles and smiles.   Just take good care of it and it'll run till the next millennium.

As for your noise, I suspect your A/c compressor is making the  noise.Just open the bonnet, start the engine,.. and turn on the a/c.

You'll find the thing on the driver's si towards the front.

Get your engine checked up just for safety's sake.And use a thicker engine oil from next service 

The serviceability of an engine can be mechanically tested and should be professionally done by a technically qualified person.

why not upload a vid?it'll give us a better idea,..

Good luck,.!

Edited by Twin Turbo

1. When was the last carburetor clean-up/tune done? When were your spark plugs and distributor checked out? How's the condition of your air filter? I believe the KE72 has a vacuum operated idle control mechanism. If this mechanism is faulty, you may experience the symptoms described. The vacuum lines need to be checked out first and then the idle control mechanism.

2. Could be worn out bearings. When the roar comes up, and when it's safe (clear road), put the car in neutral and listen for changes in the roar. If the noise is still heard, it's probably due to worn out wheel bearings or differential bearings. This check is best done with the car on a hoist.

300,000 KM is nothing for a petrol engine if used and cared for properly. So without assuming the worst, get the little things checked out first.

1) Carburator clean up was done about 3 months ago. Not sure how good it was considering a local makabas did it which I have no idea how good his work is. Spark plugs i dont have any idea.. Distributor replaced last year afaik. Air filter changed last month. 

2) Will do tonight and post.

Any good place I should take this car to a checkup? I have no knowledge on these stuff and it's only a month I got this off from father. Since his care for this car was not very much I would like to check everything and get everything sorted out before using it.

Apart from that shocks are bad too. Most people I know recommend KYB. Any other ideas? If can specify prices, would be even more grateful :) 

On 9/11/2016 at 5:37 AM, UNIX said:

It not the AC compressor I think. Because even I turn off AC around 100kmph without AC this engine makes a huge roar. 

What's the reason for thicker engine oil? I don't have much knowledge in these stuff. 

The fan clutch when locked also causes the engine to sound like a jet engine.it's common practice in SL to keep the engine temp under control.  And get the tappets adjusted.

Edited by Twin Turbo