• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Low fuel consumption and Metal Scratching sound Honda Civic EK3 Ferio

andunslg

Question

We have a Honda Civic EK3 Ferio Vtec Automatic 1996 JDM vehicle. My brother has recently bought it.

We did the spark-plug replacement and injector cleaning. Also air filter and oil has been changed. Patrol filter is new and auto gear oil is also good according to technician. But we dont know whether previous owner has used Honda Multimatic oil for the gear box. Also few screws in the distributor is broke, thus we didn't had the chance clean it in the tune up.

Now the problem is it's fuel consumption. It does 11.5 km per liter in the highway with AC on and speed at 100kmph. In Colombo consumption is 6.5 km per liter. I measured it full tank to full tank.

Other than that when we accelerate from idling, it gives a strange metal scratching noise and a knock from timing belt area. Alternator belt and AC belt is also near to packing. Thus couldn't tell exactly what is the noise.

It shows 150k mileage. But surely it has been reverted, I guess t has done more than 250k

Any guesses about the problem.

6 answers to this question

Our mechanic has cleaned the engine head and valves, ignition coil. Also he has repaired the ECU. He said there were some burnt capacitors(I dont know how he found that :D) Anyway the knock, scratching sound and the low fuel consumption seems to be fixed. It does 12.5 km in the long run per liter.

It's difficult to tell what the issue is without listening to the actual sound, but what you are hearing is probably pre-ignition or spark knock. 

Was your MAF sensor cleaned during the tune-up? Better get it cleaned as an initial step of the diagnosis.

Also, hope the mechanic who installed the spark plugs correctly adjusted the clearances before putting the new ones in. Excess clearance between the electrodes can result in knocking.

It also might be an issue with the V-Tec system failing to calibrate timing, but you should first look into the above items before coming into wrong conclusions. 

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Hi,

The technician clean the throttle and main air flow sensor. Also we have checked the plug assembly again. Other than that we check the timing belt and distributor's outer part.

But still no luck. Technician guessed it it is a problem in the ECU. Can that be the problem. Or else, can that be a problem of distributor's inner part?

On 9/18/2016 at 10:32 PM, andunslg said:

Our mechanic has cleaned the engine head and valves, ignition coil. Also he has repaired the ECU. He said there were some burnt capacitors(I dont know how he found that :D) Anyway the knock, scratching sound and the low fuel consumption seems to be fixed. It does 12.5 km in the long run per liter.

Hi andunslg,

Im facing some similar issue with my Honda city Manual car, I get a sudden knock whenever i release my gas paddle as well as every time i press gas in low RMPs. Could you please let me know from where did you get it checked and resolved ? and how long did it take/ how much did it cost you?

Contact details of mechanic and location is highly appreciated. 
I've done all tuneups, filter changes, timing checking but nothing resolved this. I've shown this to 2 mechanics , one was suspecting the Distributor and other was saying lets change the knock sensor and see.