• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer Recall due to faulty airbag

HashanJay

45 minutes ago, nagaya said:

What about air bag ? did they tell you it is not needed to replace it on your CY?

@nagaya Nope, each "upgrade" mentioned in the paper ad is a different recall; my CY only had the "possible bad connection on Signal Light and Wiper Stalk" one. They lubricate the connectors by plugging the stalks into some gadget (which they said single use only) and then they refit it, a 10-minute work

Edited by Hyaenidae

Yep, my CY was also recalled in late 2016 or so for the signal/wiper stalk lubrication recall only. I don't think any of the CS Lancers are affected by this particular (signal/wiper stalk) issue. Takata airbag recall - maybe.

@nagaya, just give the agent a call and have your chassis number handy and they will let you know if your car is affected by any of the recalls. If it is, they are meant to correct them for free. 

My car has a weird issue, I don't know whether this is something to do with Signal/Wiper Stalk Lubrication. When I switch to high beams, they don't get hold in (it acts as the pass-light). But it rarely works normally (holds into the high beam).

I think this is a design issue in the Lancer (and many Mitsubishi vehicles). The high beam switch is not a mechanical switch like other cars (where the switch should push downwards to go for the high beam). I don't know whether this is a common issue, but we had the same in our old L300 van :) 

Edit: it's a CS3

Edited by HashanJay

45 minutes ago, HashanJay said:

My car has a weird issue, I don't know whether this is something to do with Signal/Wiper Stalk Lubrication. When I switch to high beams, they don't get hold in (it acts as the pass-light). But it rarely works normally (holds into the high beam).

I think this is a design issue in the Lancer (and many Mitsubishi vehicles). The high beam switch is not a mechanical switch like other cars (where the switch should push downwards to go for the high beam). I don't know whether this is a common issue, but we had the same in our old L300 van :) 

Had similar issue in my 1994 Lancer CB2. light stalk worked as a toggle switch. It never stayed in high beam when I pressed it down. But if I press  it up then high beam stays. Press up again then low beam.

Edited by hrm

7 minutes ago, hrm said:

Had similar issue in my 1994 Lancer CB2. light stalk worked as a toggle switch. It never stayed in high beam when I pressed it down. But if I press  it up then high beam stays. Press up again then low beam.

Yes, in my case, the toggle doesn't happen. Pushing the switch upwards and holding there will light up both high and low beams, and then when releasing it goes back to the low beam (instead of switching to high beam). This isn't a big concern since I don't drive outside Colombo much nowadays. But at higher speeds, it's pretty annoying. 

1 hour ago, HashanJay said:

Are you sure you're pulling the lever switch all the way up? (1)

Dipper (High/Low beam change)

SvGf9vG.gif

When the lamp switch is in the 8HHxtiF.gif  position, the beam changes from high to low (or low to high) each time the lever is pulled fully (1).

While the high beam is on, the high-beam indication lamp in the instrument cluster will also illuminate.

Headlamp flasher

The high-beams flash when the lever is pulled slightly (2), and will go off when it is released.

When the high-beam is on, the high-beam indication lamp in the instrument cluster will illuminate.

• Like 2

As @Hyaenidae has mentioned, there are two positions to the stalk. The toggle behaviour is by design in Mitsubishi's. It alternates between low and high beam.

The signal light switch (same stalk) has the same behaviour as well. Slight movement and hold for lane changing and push all the way and let go to lock the stalk in position and operate the signal lights until you manually switch off or when the steering return automatically switches it off. On the CY Lancer, lane change position flashes the signal light three times. On the CS, it needs to be held in position. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2018 at 4:26 PM, Hyaenidae said:

Are you sure you're pulling the lever switch all the way up? (1)

Dipper (High/Low beam change)

SvGf9vG.gif

When the lamp switch is in the 8HHxtiF.gif  position, the beam changes from high to low (or low to high) each time the lever is pulled fully (1).

While the high beam is on, the high-beam indication lamp in the instrument cluster will also illuminate.

Headlamp flasher

The high-beams flash when the lever is pulled slightly (2), and will go off when it is released.

When the high-beam is on, the high-beam indication lamp in the instrument cluster will illuminate.

Sorry for late reply and for taking this thread off the focus..

Yes, The even if I pull it all the way up, it doesn't toggle the high/low beam when released instead it acts as the headlight flasher. But once in a while, it works and after some time it stops working. Since I've been using the car for like 3+ years now, I'm pretty confident that I'm pulling the switch in the correct method. 

I couldn't think of any logic behind this, maybe heat or some other issue. Since this happens from a set of relays I thought it might be some issue there, but still, a not a single electrical mechanic couldn't solve this. They either advice to replace the switch or the set of relays. 

Edited by HashanJay

On 5/1/2018 at 5:30 PM, Davy said:

As @Hyaenidae has mentioned, there are two positions to the stalk. The toggle behaviour is by design in Mitsubishi's. It alternates between low and high beam.

The signal light switch (same stalk) has the same behaviour as well. Slight movement and hold for lane changing and push all the way and let go to lock the stalk in position and operate the signal lights until you manually switch off or when the steering return automatically switches it off. On the CY Lancer, lane change position flashes the signal light three times. On the CS, it needs to be held in position. 

Thanks @Davy , I didn't know the behavior of the signal light, gonna give this a try today when I'm heading home. 

Edited by HashanJay

• 3 years later...

Digging up 3 Year old thread, 

My high beam toggle switch does not stay on high beam when fully pulled towards me. I feel the click and release but it's not staying. 

My high beam toggle switch works fine for a flash pass through.

What did you y'all do to resolve this issue and why did it occur? 

I'm sure it stayed on high beam before, dunno what happened.