• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suggestions for a new car

Dom

Hey All,

I'm planing to buy the first car for my self and my budget will be below 1.9 million. I'm not interested in any Indian models. After referring some advertisements on web, I have narrowed down the models as below.

Toyota - Starlet EP91

Nissan - K12, FB15, N16

Peugeot - 207, 307, 406

Perodua - Viva Elite

Since I'm new to this and unable to find the fuel economy, running conditions, spare parts availability, market after using, comfort-ability and other important matters when buying a vehicle, I would like to ask your suggestions for my first car before I take a decision that I will regret in future :). Please advice me with the figures for fuels economy because fuel economy and comfort-ability is the two main factors I'm consider at most :). As the first vehicle I prefer a manual one before an automatic.

I'm open for your suggestions that I have missed as per my requirement.

Thank You.

These cars has been extensively discussed please use the search feature.  Also there is a dedicated thread for posting fuel figures check that out too. As your first car I recommend the starlet. Old but solid, reliable car. The manual should do good on fuel and is fun to drive. But sedans like FB15, FN16 and 406 should be little more comfier when doing long trips.

From your list Starlet would be good selection for fuel economy. But please note that, except Perodua Viva, all others would be extensively used old cars. Thanks to our makabases and careless users who trust makabases, most of them have repaired with cheap spares, corroded bodies due to improper paint scheme while accident repairs, etc. 

Therefore, think again....  

6 hours ago, asrock said:

These cars has been extensively discussed please use the search feature.  Also there is a dedicated thread for posting fuel figures check that out too. As your first car I recommend the starlet. Old but solid, reliable car. The manual should do good on fuel and is fun to drive. But sedans like FB15, FN16 and 406 should be little more comfier when doing long trips.

5 hours ago, gayanath said:

From your list Starlet would be good selection for fuel economy. But please note that, except Perodua Viva, all others would be extensively used old cars. Thanks to our makabases and careless users who trust makabases, most of them have repaired with cheap spares, corroded bodies due to improper paint scheme while accident repairs, etc. 

Therefore, think again....  

Thank you very much for the advice. Even though I heard that it is very hard to find a starlet that in good condition. Please tell me that I should go for a Viva Elite rather than a starlet.

Rather a starlet which is goddamn old try for the japanese swift 1.3 , its really good in fuel(13-14)Kmpl and good pickup and less repairs due to mid range engine... Resale market of swift 1.3(jeep model im referring) is one of the best sellers and surely more than pegeouts and nissan n16 n starlet

Even comfort and boot space you will find more in a swift 1.3 than a starlet... If ur not into swift then surely go for the FB15...(N16 is the most failiure car ever...people dont understand its problem till they use it... So people blindly buy it.. DONT GO FOR N16 OR PEGEOUTS.... THEY SUCK)

Hope i helped.... Thnx! 

2 minutes ago, HaeylM said:

Rather a starlet which is goddamn old try for the japanese swift 1.3 , its really good in fuel(13-14)Kmpl and good pickup and less repairs due to mid range engine... Resale market of swift 1.3(jeep model im referring) is one of the best sellers and surely more than pegeouts and nissan n16 n starlet

Even comfort and boot space you will find more in a swift 1.3 than a starlet... If ur not into swift then surely go for the FB15...(N16 is the most failiure car ever...people dont understand its problem till they use it... So people blindly buy it.. DONT GO FOR N16 OR PEGEOUTS.... THEY SUCK)

Hope i helped.... Thnx! 

Can you elaborate your reasons for saying both N16 & Peugeot suck. Reason is my previous car was a N16 and present car is a Peugeot 406 which I love too much and doesn't give trouble except bad fuel economy. Personal experience of mine makes me challenge your opinion on both N16 & Peugeot.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AJ84 said:

Can you elaborate your reasons for saying both N16 & Peugeot suck. Reason is my previous car was a N16 and present car is a Peugeot 406 which I love too much and doesn't give trouble except bad fuel economy. Personal experience of mine makes me challenge your opinion on both N16 & Peugeot.

Well if u had a N16 back in 2009 it was cheaper than a FB15 ...think abt it and well pegeout 406 was barely 10lacks then... Reasons was due to bad fuel economy as u agree and also for the expensive parts of repair on pegeouts...well taking the N16 has this major engine buzz when idling if u had noticed... Although many say its normal..the actual repair of that problem isnt successful and well taking throttle response even the N16 is bad.....just my opinion btw... No experience im driving a pegeout. Only my neighbor had one and had to hear all his suffer tales... Thnxxx

40 minutes ago, HaeylM said:

Hope i helped.... Thnx! 

18 minutes ago, HaeylM said:

Well if u had a N16 back in 2009 it was cheaper than a FB15 ...think abt it and well pegeout 406 was barely 10lacks then... Reasons was due to bad fuel economy as u agree and also for the expensive parts of repair on pegeouts...well taking the N16 has this major engine buzz when idling if u had noticed... Although many say its normal..the actual repair of that problem isnt successful and well taking throttle response even the N16 is bad.....just my opinion btw... No experience im driving a pegeout. Only my neighbor had one and had to hear all his suffer tales... Thnxxx

Wait what ru on about man???

you say dont go for a N16 or Peugeot but you also say u have a Peugeot, then you have on another thread saying you own a Toyota with a pealing badge. how many cars u have or ru like the (going as "Miraj") recent git i saw opening up bunch of threads about Hybrids and there problems n just moves on without closing the thread.

U must have a low maintenance neighbor who cheap skates on repairs, coz i hvnt heard of a bad rep on N16 except for seeing a decent amount of cars with the dashboard getting cracked. maybe due to excessive heat or poor materials but apart from that no mechanical issues.

I'm no expert in technical aspects of cars. But I know that Nissan N16 which is having Twin Cam 16 valve engine always having a sensor issue on something called "MAF sensor" . which is positioned near to air filter. This sensor needs regular cleanups or else never ending engine jerk is there until it's cleaned , the jerk stops temporary and it comes back again within a month. I know this very well as My brother was having a hard time with this issue.  

Edited by AbeysinghE

41 minutes ago, HaeylM said:

Is it a bird?  Is it a plane? No its psychic man with his awesome ability to mind read and rate cars just by looking at neighbours cars. 

• Like 2

well i did have a so called 2008 N17 for two years. only one problem with the starter motor which was sorted out by the agent for 4,000/- 

Of course it has issues with pulling power and fuel consumption due to 1.3L engine which was not an issue to me. (I did 50K on the vehicle)

I guess you have to do proper maintenance to expect trouble free operation. 

Comparatively the car projects a good personality and i was never stopped by the police as at that time it was used by the magistrates and i had my wife's lawyer badge on it.:D 

Oh and mine never had the so called engine buzz :huh:

Edited by Quiet

24 minutes ago, AbeysinghE said:

I'm no expert in technical aspects of cars. But I know that Nissan N16 which is having Twin Cam 16 valve engine always having a sensor issue on something called "MAF sensor" . which is positioned near to air filter. This sensor needs regular cleanups or else never ending engine jerk is there until it's cleaned , the jerk stops temporary and it comes back again within a month. I know this very well as My brother was having a hard time with this issue.  

Even after a cleanup if the issue comes right after a month, the sensor probably have to be replaced. The last time someone checked it brand-new at the agents it was around 10k. The thing is, people who are so fond of the FB15 and dis the N16 doesn't even know both cars share the same engine (1.5l) :D

Edited by NRX

33 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Is it a bird?  Is it a plane? No its psychic man with his awesome ability to mind read and rate cars just by looking at neighbours cars. 

Bro poddak danagena katha karamu ne...... I only said abt my neighbors pegeout....ive never risked to buy those euros... So i've and currently owning only japanese cars... And well i drive a toyota now.. Yes... And sufferd anan N16 yes.... Hope it helps... ..i wanted no one else to suffer an N16 thts y i was honest with its faults...if u do care and u do own a N16 u shuld too agree

And well speaking of car market... Its not about the fake values on ######.lk or anything...its always about the real need of it by the public...so pls consult real dealers unlike these people who put up nice assumptions without knowing reality 

Just now, HaeylM said:

Bro poddak danagena katha karamu ne...... I only said abt my neighbors pegeout....ive never risked to buy those euros... So i've and currently owning only japanese cars... And well i drive a toyota now.. Yes... And sufferd anan N16 yes.... Hope it helps... ..i wanted no one else to suffer an N16 thts y i was honest with its faults...if u do care and u do own a N16 u shuld too agree

You have no right to harshly comment about things that you dont know purely based on bogus assumption.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HaeylM said:

I do own an N16 for the past 2 and half years and the only thing I've replaced apart from routine maintenance, that can be categorized as a fault is the crankshaft positioning sensor which cost me 3.5k. Just because you owned a bad apple, don't expect every tom dick and harry out there to own bad apples.

11 minutes ago, HaeylM said:

Bro, ehenan danne nathi labbawal gana advice node imu ne? 

If you have not owned or even driven a pug stop giving advice like they have bad fuel economy and expensive parts etc. This is not gonkiri forum, we have people who owns pugs. You don't have to reply to everything. Let the real users of pugs comment, you are here bickering on about s##t you don't even know for certain. 

My comment was not aimed at your n16 remarks, You can complain as much  as you want about your n16. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Bro, ehenan danne nathi labbawal gana advice node imu ne? 

If you have not owned or even driven a pug stop giving advice like they have bad fuel economy and expensive parts etc. This is not gonkiri forum, we have people who owns pugs. You don't have to reply to everything. Let the real users of pugs comment, you are here bickering on about s##t you don't even know for certain. 

My comment was not aimed at your n16 remarks, You can complain as much  as you want about your n16. 

:D labbawal

Edited by Quiet

well that escalated quickly... 

anyways 

2 hours ago, HaeylM said:

try for the japanese swift 1.3 , its really good in fuel(13-14)Kmpl and good pickup and less repairs due to mid range engine... Resale market of swift 1.3(jeep model im referring) is one of the best sellers and surely more than pegeouts and nissan n16 n starlet

Swift /Cruze is a really good option from my exp  BUT i don't think he can get one for 1.9 currently. Prices are usually above the 2 mil mark. 

According to what I have seen In Auto Lanka forums there are four types of people.

01. People who know the technical aspects and have enormous real driving experience with both Jap and Euro cars.

02. People who does not know much about technical things but have good experience of using different cars.

03. People who are not having experience in driving the cars but use google to good effect and reply like an expert. 

04. People who grab what society generally talks and comment uselessly without knowing the facts.

3 minutes ago, AbeysinghE said:

According to what I have seen In Auto Lanka forums there are four types of people.

01. People who know the technical aspects and have enormous real driving experience with both Jap and Euro cars.

02. People who does not know much about technical things but have good experience of using different cars.

03. People who are not having experience in driving the cars but use google to good effect and reply like an expert. 

04. People who grab what society generally talks and comment uselessly without knowing the facts.

And the million dollar question is, to which category our dear HaeyIM fall into ? :D

• Like 1