• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What is the best model of Toyota 121?

deshan.048518

Question

Hello Guys,

I'm planning to buy a used Toyota 121 and my budget is 2.9Mn to 3.1 Mn.. I have red several reviews in this forum and what i have seen is some toyota 121 versions doesnt have a good fuel consumption..

My requirement is a Toyota 121(Manual or Auto) or other sedan car with a good fuel consumption..pls suggest me that what version and what cc of Toyota 121 does more fuel??? Or will u recommend me another vehicle to buy for this budget...Im interested in Wagonr also....but feels more to 121.

Edited by deshan.048518

1 hour ago, deshan.048518 said:

Completely agree...

3 hours ago, deshan.048518 said:

I think its a knowledgeable buyer rather than a stupid buyer..Rs 3.0 Mn is a huge amount...doesn't wanna waste hard earned money....Vehicle must have a good second hand demand...

4 hours ago, deshan.048518 said:

If u buy it correctly then u don't have to worry about anything i guess....Otherwise once u wanna sell it quickly you have to keep your vehicle in car sales for loooong time...

You sir, are completely misguided. Buying a vehicle based on maintaining it's resale value is retarded because you can never predict exactly what will happen in our market. Also, no matter what these broker idiots tell you, a well maintained car will always get a good price and a good buyer. 

So instead of doing inane shi*t like you're doing now, pick a model you like, buy the best maintained example you can find (preferably one with full service history and a caring owner, not some dressed up, sale painted piece of shit with an altered mileage reading stupidly low) and then maintain that car in a proper manner and take care of it. If you need to sell, the buyers will come looking. Speaking from experience.

Op just wants someone to confirm his openion and justify himself buying a 121

It seems that Dhork has used a 121 and by his picture likes it.

But the thing is he must be using a good one

But as the 121s are 16 yrs old now and been gang banged by many owners it will be almost impossible to find a good condition genuine one.

In the case of the n17 lancer and similar vehicles we were talking about. They are new and are easier to trace their history.

Most 2007+ n17s and lancers were company brandnew ones qhich means they were climatized and They may have been company maintained for at least half of their life and the rest can be easyly traced.There may be emissions certificates to get the millage also.

Anyways if the thing you wanted to do is buy a 121 buy one.

You didn't need to open a topic if you just consider the one that purely praise the 121 and consider the facts regarding it's competition dumb.

4 hours ago, deshan.048518 said:

Finally a good reply after dumb replies by others....

you should be freaking kidding me right? I have read this thread from top to bottom, and many expressed there views, and also a heavy dosage of knowledge on 121 and WagonR!!!!

Its totally up to you to decide if you want the 121 or WagonR.

3 hours ago, deshan.048518 said:

Hello Guys,

I'm planning to buy a used Toyota 121 and my budget is 2.9Mn to 3.1 Mn.. I have red several reviews in this forum and what i have seen is some toyota 121 versions doesnt have a good fuel consumption..

My requirement is a Toyota 121(Manual or Auto) or other sedan car with a good fuel consumption..pls suggest me that what version and what cc of Toyota 121 does more fuel??? Or will u recommend me another vehicle to buy for this budget...Im interested in Wagonr also....but feels more to 121.

There are gasoline and diesel 121s. Gasoline 121s come in 3 engine capacities. 

1.3L

1.5L

1.8L

Out of these three 1.3L is not that good with fuel economy. 

The other 2 depends on your daily driving conditions. If you drive in city limits mostly with traffic 1.5L would do better on fuel. 

If it is long journeys including  highways, 1.8 L would do better. 

And of course manual one would do better on fuel than the auto, but sadly most of the manual ones came with 1.3L engine which is underpowered. 

Thanks sathyajith for your reply...actually I'm working in ratnapura and on weekends I travel home to panadura via ratnapura panadura road...for 25km there are bends...and after 25km the road is basically straight....so what do u recommend?? 1.5 or 1.8?? And also I'm going to Colombo on evry Sundays...

Edited by deshan.048518

7 minutes ago, deshan.048518 said:

Thanks sathyajith for your reply...actually I'm working in ratnapura and on weekends I travel home to panadura via ratnapura panadura road...for 25km there are bends...and after 25km the road is basically straight....so what do u recommend?? 1.5 or 1.8?? And also I'm going to Colombo on evry Sundays...

I've driven my axio 141 on that route a couple of times and I was totally disappointed of the way it felt at those bends found somewhere between Kiriella and Ingiriya. There was plenty of body roll while taking corners due to soft suspension. I always had to slow down at the corners. This is a common issue of most of the JDM Toyotas  and I am pretty sure this issue is more or less present in 121 as well. So considering your weekly travel on this route I think you'd be better off with a Mazda 3 or Lancer of the same era of 121. If you really want to go with 121, I think 1.5L won't be a problem. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deshan.048518 said:

Thank u sathyajith....there are 121's for my budget but lots of them are J n H numbers...I'm worried about the second hand demand of these J n H numbers...do u think I have to go with a K no? or else J or H numbers have a good demand?

Look harder. I'm pretty sure you'll find a K_ no within your budget. Even a well maintained J or H no would be ok. Don't worry about second hand market as long as Sri Lankans' mentality don't change towards Toyotas. :P

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, deshan.048518 said:

Thank u sathyajith....by the way do u rate wagonr ahead of 121?

Well, Wagon R has its ups and downs comparing with 121.

It is newer so less maintenance and better on fuel and 121 is spacious better handling comparing with Wagon R and comfortable. 

If I were you, I'd go for a well maintained 1.5L 121 out of these 2.

5 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Look harder. I'm pretty sure you'll find a K_ no within your budget. Even a well maintained J or H no would be ok. Don't worry about second hand market as long as Sri Lankans' mentality don't change towards Toyotas. :P

Totally agreed. You could even sell scrap for higher price If Toyota badge exist. :D

• Like 3

I think you better go for a JDM Corolla.121 variant are X , X Limited, G and G Limited. There is another variant with a 1.8L engine, model number is 122.

I don't think a 1.3 Engine manual one has enough power for the 121.

On 16/08/2016 at 1:54 PM, deshan.048518 said:

Hello Guys,

121 vs WagonR is like saying I like Meghan Trainor but im intrested in Taylor Swift too.

Personally I'm all about the Bass, so i'll suggest the larger car.

But 3Mill for a 16 year old car is outrageous and i wouldn't trust any odometer of such an old car below 150 000km unless the owner has solid proof. After all they were bought for their fuel economy so that makes them run more right.

If you need the trips to be as much economical as possible wagonR is the option.

But if you need to carry 4 adults comfortable even once in a while consider a sedan.

Well for that price you could consider a Lancer or Sunny For less than 3mill you can get one around 2008. Most of them were permit brand new vehicles and were company maintained for atleast half of it's life, so millage is more reliable.

Tida Mazda 3 can also be considered.

Any way id recommend a 2008 lancer manual if you want economy and to enjoy the bends, or an auto if you'r left side is Lazy

i think in another 5 years time appreciation of old vehicles will be much much less. look at all these people now looking to buy near brand new vehicles. Honda, Suzuki and Euro's are also now in good demand. 

With shift in income and thinking of our society change is slowly happening. So my personal opinion is to go for an enjoyable ride. buy something you can use for at least 5 years. 

Thats what i did. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Quiet said:

i think in another 5 years time appreciation of old vehicles will be much much less.

Majority won't appreciate but I think the appreciation of old vehicles will be high among the rest... they dont make beautiful cars anymore like the 90's.. nowadays all the new cars are hideous and all made for commercial purposes.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

Majority won't appreciate but I think the appreciation of old vehicles will be high among the rest... they dont make beautiful cars anymore like the 90's.. nowadays all the new cars are hideous and all made for commercial purposes.. 

You seriously are on something aren't you? There are plenty of good looking modern cars, some of which are even vaguely attainable by the average car buyer.