• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can I Install 18" On A Prius 2016 ?

gayankap

Question

25 answers to this question

IMHO there is a reason why your prius came with 15" wheels and not some 18" wheels. Sure, larger wheels enhance the aesthetics of a car, but sadly they affect the ride quality as to fit a 18" wheels, you may have to use low profiles, which has less rubber. Less rubber means less ability to absorb shocks by tyres and more stress to the shocks absorbers of your car, which may cause pre-mature wear of shocks. Prius is a compact car and 18" wheels may be too large for it. IMHO to install a 18" wheels, you need a mid size or a large sedan (i.e. a euro luxury sedan preferably). Even I use 16" wheels on my S Type Jaguar (almost 2.0 ton and 05 meter long car) due to above fact. Also most roads in SL do not support the use of large wheels due to pot holes and stuff.

Try to listen to Twin Turbo, he may got a better idea :D 

Edited by Kal-El
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Jumbo wheels look good on any car,. the practicality, suitability and most of all  rationality behind the move must be debated,..

why not a kick ass sound system instead?:angry-smiley-044:

Lol Already Installed A Branded JVC System And A Kick Ass Subwoofer Under The Front Passenger Seat Brother ... It Already Came With Original 4 Stereo Speakers And Two Twitters At The Front Side Of The Dash Board Near The Windshield . Thankyou For The Quick Reply.

2 hours ago, Kal-El said:

IMHO there is a reason why your prius came with 15" wheels and not some 18" wheels. Sure, larger wheels enhance the aesthetics of a car, but sadly they affect the ride quality as to fit a 18" wheels, you may have to use low profiles, which has less rubber. Less rubber means less ability to absorb shocks by tyres and more stress to the shocks absorbers of your car, which may cause pre-mature wear of shocks. Prius is a compact car and 18" wheels may be too large for it. IMHO to install a 18" wheels, you need a mid size or a large sedan (i.e. a euro luxury sedan preferably). Even I use 16" wheels on my S Type Jaguar (almost 2.0 ton and 05 meter long car) due to above fact. Also most roads in SL do not support the use of large wheels due to pot holes and stuff.

Try to listen to Twin Turbo, he may got a better idea :D 

I Know I Think It Came With 15" To Reduce The Fuel Waste. However I Saw The S-Touring 2016 Model Came With 17" So Took Mine Out And Installed 17" (But Not Original S-Touring Rims Though) Some After Market Rims & Road Stone Tyers. Those Are Not Low Profile Either I Guess. Looks Good Though But KMPL Got Reduced From 22 To 17 Lol (In City Limits I Guess) Prius Models Are Notorious For Low Ground Clearance One Good Reason For Going Larger Tyers And Rims. Thankyou For The Quick Reply.

Btw Chicks Already Digging The Car Like They Run After It Lol. The Redesigned Body Of 2016 Prius Is More Than Enough. Its An Eye Catcher Lol.

2pqmejk.jpg

espaus.jpg

• Like 1

i think 17 is the max you could go with.

if you look at the options in Modellista or TRD you will see that they never go more than 2 sizes above the stock rim sizes.

And i guess with 17s u r running a 45 profile. A 18 would mean either 40 or 35. Don't even think about it unless u travel only on the well carpeted roads. :)

Edited by B2Spirit

1 hour ago, gayankap said:

Lol Already Installed A Branded JVC System And A Kick Ass Subwoofer Under The Front Passenger Seat Brother ... It Already Came With Original 4 Stereo Speakers And Two Twitters At The Front Side Of The Dash Board Near The Windshield . Thankyou For The Quick Reply.

I Know I Think It Came With 15" To Reduce The Fuel Waste. However I Saw The S-Touring 2016 Model Came With 17" So Took Mine Out And Installed 17" (But Not Original S-Touring Rims Though) Some After Market Rims & Road Stone Tyers. Those Are Not Low Profile Either I Guess. Looks Good Though But KMPL Got Reduced From 22 To 17 Lol (In City Limits I Guess) Prius Models Are Notorious For Low Ground Clearance One Good Reason For Going Larger Tyers And Rims. Thankyou For The Quick Reply.

Btw Chicks Already Digging The Car Like They Run After It Lol. The Redesigned Body Of 2016 Prius Is More Than Enough. Its An Eye Catcher Lol.

2pqmejk.jpg

espaus.jpg

Yeah, I have to agree. The new generation Prius is the best looking one yet. Somewhat futuristic and screams "LOOK AT ME". I think it is the new lights and contoured face and the posterior. But it ain't my cup of tea though :rolleyes:

On 8/14/2016 at 8:41 AM, gayankap said:

Of course you can fix 18-inch wheels on it bro.. Such a chick magnet deserves the best of the accessories. And please ignore the jealous old farts in this forum who think only Euros should be having 18-inch wheels...

1. Get yourself an 18-inch Chrome Toyota alloy wheel set. Scour ikm*n.lk and you will find one. Of course you may find the ride a bit bumpy but you can always keep a pillow on the driver's seat to make it more comfy.

2. Get a huge spoiler. You got a nice liftback boot lid that has the space for a huge spoiler. Any loss of power created by the low profile tires will be compensated by the spoiler.

3. Get some racing stripes and some decals. They will surely attract a set of chicks with shorter skirts.

4. Fix a K&N cone filter and some coloured plug wires that will add 18bhp to performance. Also when the chicks are around, you can always pop the hood and show them what's inside ;)

5. You should also consider going to fibre Dumi##a and getting a bodykit done... just look how gorgeous this one is... you will surely get a lot of chicks drooling over you...

https://i.######-st.com/23c0b89f-56b9-46cf-97f5-1ddc95c35705/612/459/fitted.jpg

Good luck bro... keep us posted of your wild adventures and don't forget to calculate and let us know the increased bhp and the increased fuel economy.

• Like 2

Just now, Crosswind said:

Of course you can fix 18-inch wheels on it bro.. Such a chick magnet deserves the best of the accessories. And please ignore the jealous old farts in this forum who think only Euros should be having 18-inch wheels...

1. Get yourself an 18-inch Chrome Toyota alloy wheel set. Scour ikm*n.lk and you will find one. Of course you may find the ride a bit bumpy but you can always keep a pillow on the driver's seat to make it more comfy.

2. Get a huge spoiler. You got a nice liftback boot lid that has the space for a huge spoiler. Any loss of power created by the low profile tires will be compensated by the spoiler.

3. Get some racing stripes and some decals. They will surely attract a set of chicks with shorter skirts.

4. Fix a K&N cone filter and some coloured plug wires that will add 18bhp to performance. Also when the chicks are around, you can always pop the hood and show them what's inside ;)

5. You should also consider going to fibre Dumi##a and getting a bodykit done... just look how gorgeous this one is... you will surely get a lot of chicks drooling over you...

Good luck bro... keep us posted of your wild adventures and don't forget to calculate and let us know the increased bhp and the increased fuel economy.

wahahahahahahahahahahhaa :D

9 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

What a maxa, fatta, aniwa body kit! And those rims are sublime. I love it! Where can I get this for my car? 

i dont think that body kit ROWAN or WALD is available anywhere here in SL LOL... there was one advertised Dimu##a creation with lambo doors i think a lancer asking for 3mil it was an eye sore... you can put lambo doors too... now that would be pan#y dropping awesomeness right there

Jokes aside you should just keep the 17" and be done with it. just because it "Looks Good" doesn't mean its good. IF you have deep pockets by all means coz near future you will be looking at repairs after travelling in 18" wheels on our roads... Although you wont feel bumps and dips on a 15 to 16" wheels, higher than that you will feel all the things u didnt know there was before on the same stretch of road...

AND most IMPORTANTLY.... IF your book says your car came with 15inch rims and have changed to 16/17/18inch rims RMV people wont be all that happy... according to them you are not allowed to do it since of the speedo reading will read incorrectly. also IF your wheels a jutting out thats a complete NO NO also<_<

23 hours ago, Crosswind said:

please ignore the jealous old farts in this forum who think only Euros should be having 18-inch wheels...

I wasn't implying that, only Euro's should have larger wheels. My point was to install larger wheels without much effect on ride quality, etc., is you need a larger car. Also 18+ wheels on a compact car may look out of place in comparison to larger full size car. How often do you see 5 meter +, 02 ton japanese cars. My point was to illustrate the practicality issues pertaining to the use of larger size wheels than what is originally intended by the maker. 

Also DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO USE THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE HERE? I WASN'T BASHING ANYTHING OR ANY BRAND. I WAS POLITELY MADE MY OPINION. I THOUGHT AL IS A COMMUNITY OF GENTLEMAN & LADIES. 

10 minutes ago, Kal-El said:

I wasn't implying that, only Euro's should have larger wheels. My point was to install larger wheels without much effect on ride quality, etc., is you need a larger car. Also 18+ wheels on a compact car may look out of place in comparison to larger full size car. How often do you see 5 meter +, 02 ton japanese cars. My point was to illustrate the practicality issues pertaining to the use of larger size wheels than what is originally intended by the maker. 

Also DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO USE THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE HERE? I WASN'T BASHING ANYTHING OR ANY BRAND. I WAS POLITELY MADE MY OPINION. I THOUGHT AL IS A COMMUNITY OF GENTLEMAN & LADIES. 

facedesk-facedesk-facepalm-fail-demotiva

9 hours ago, Kal-El said:

55711720.jpg

Edited by The Stig