• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

iPhone 5s Serious Battery Problem

madushan.a

Hi,

I got a serious battery issue with my iPhone 5S. This is now almost 3 years old. Since few months battery was draining very fast even during standby time. Few times I diagnosed this from shops and all said there is nothing wrong. But there is something wrong and software updates did not fix it. Currently it is on iOS 8.1.1 and I cannot update to latest iOS because the phone has very limited memory available, most probably it will not fix this issue (as usual) and anyway I don't want those fancy upgraded features.

Now got a new problem - a real headache. When battery level is reducing around 45% (sometimes even around 59%) it shuts down suddenly. It doesn't show the usual battery low warnings. When it is plugged and restarts automatically for charging, battery level is displayed around that percentage (around 45%).  

I searched on the Internet and went thru few articles and forums including Apple discussion forums. There are 2 options.

Option 1: Do a Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) that may solve software and firmware problems (a painful, time consuming process and there is a risk in this). Even after a successful DFU upgrade problem may not be solved and if so you need to go to option 2.

Option 2: Simply replace the battery from a shop that will cost some 7,000 - 8,000 rupees I think. Most probably this will fix the problem.

If any of you have experience in similar problem/ battery issue with iPhone please let me know how did you fix it/ what do you recommend from above 2 options.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I went to a repair shop in front of Savoy Wellawatta. They checked the phone and said there is a power short and battery replacement may not solve the problem. Anyway they will not simply replace the batteries if there is a short. To fix the power short problem it may take few days.