• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to improve the breaking distance - L200

andunslg

Question

Hi All,

I have a L200 252-xxxx model and I did break system maintenance recently. Maintenance include front break repair kit addition, back break washer replacing and cleaning break drums. Also there are no leaks in the break lines. My vehicle's tyre size is 205/60/15. Also it's front front tyres are new and back tyres are bit old. I have attached photos of them.

Recently I got in to a accident where the vehicle going in front got stopped due to gear box failure and I hit it from the back. I use breaks as much as I can and I heard the sound of wheels slipping on the road while break is locked.

I know this happens because it doesn't have ABS and friction power is not enough to stop the vehicle. There is a part which need to be done by the driver. If we keep that part aside,

What I want to know is, are there any improvements which can be done to reduce this slipping. 

• Increasing the tyre size? Possible sizes?
  • Adding new break pads, liners?

Thanks!

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

4 answers to this question

1. Get your brake rotors and drums resurfaced

With time, the surface of rotors and drums become smooth and shiny, causing the frictional properties of the surface to lower. You can get them resurfaced (commonly referred to as "facing" in SL) which will give the surface the proper texture as well as get rid of warps and heat spots.

2. Use good brake pads

The use of cheap aftermarket brake pads might be the reason for the car "dragging" even under heavy braking. I was once surprised when I changed a set of aftermarket brake pads to genuine ones, noticing how much more efficient they were. Not saying only buy genuine pads and liners, but stick to a good brand.

Looking at the photos of your tyres, the tyre in the top photo seems to be too far gone.

My father also has a 1996 L200 cab. It seems the low breaking power is a known fault in this vehicle. We also tried, all the available options. But failed. You can not expect the breaking power of a modern car. Like someone once said, these vehicles are not made to go fast, but to go any where. So my advice is to keep your distance and drive safely. 

When it comes to effectiveness of the braking system, weight distribution between front and rear wheels also matter along with braking torque distribution. Ideally both should match. Did you feel some swaying of the rear side as the wheels got locked? If so it is the rear wheels getting locked first.

Start with a full flush of the brake system.replace the mastercylincder washers/.and mechiene  the drums and discs. And get rid of the mirror-like polish opn them new good quality shoes and pads check and replace all brake hoses.

Lastly, get 4 new tyres.

By doing all this, you'llget the thing near new condition.If you want even more efficeiency,.you'll have to modify.:mellow:

Edited by Twin Turbo