• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new car for short term use

smartcard

I used to stay inSri Lanka one month a year, and every time when I visit, finding a vehicle "rent" or "borrowing" is becoming a challenge. Therefore, I am planning to purchase a small SUV for vehicle that I have space in our garage.  Accordingly, I have shortlisted either to go with a Toyota Rush or Daihatsu Terios.

I have read many useful information about Terios vs. Rush and I have found  low mileage 2008 Rush for a 3.5 million which I hope is a reasonable price?

Since I will be using the vehicle only for a month in a year, can I go for a short term Motor Insurance?

When I buy the vehicle from the Car dealer, will they do the paperwork? I am planning to register it under my wife.  How long it will take complete the paperwork and drive my car from the car agent?

Thanks

May I ask why you want a Rush ? I don't know what the prices are now but a short time ago those Rushes were going for only a fraction less than some larger cross overs.  Also, make sure that the engine size meets your needs. 

As for insurance....I don't think a short term insurance will make sense because....

1. I would strongly suggest you have some one use the car for a drive or two. i.e. don't keep it parked for 11 months until you come over and go. and I don't mean just starting it....make sure it rolls....you know..tires turn....wind blowing around the body...a doggy sticking its head out with...oh..anyway....Thus, you will need to maintain your insurance policy to drive it on the road.

2. I am not sure if SL offers short term policies, but if they do, are you sure you would be saving that much as opposed to getting something like a liability-only policy ?

Are you getting a registered (pre-owned) car ? If so you should be able to drive it from the minute you buy it (as long as the license, insurance, etc are valid); and just file the transfer papers at the RMV. You can choose to get it done in a day or take the standard route. If you are buying an unregistered car; in which case my first question is if it is a 2007-2008 model why was it sitting in a car sale for this long ?  Then the registration process is more or less not that drastic and would take a day or two (depending on work load at RMV). Usually the car dealers do the registration process' leg work for you.  

Hi iRage, many thanks for the reply...

I am going for Rush, because of its size (dimensions) fit in to my parking area and the wheel base the height of the vehicle.  On the other hand since I have a RAV4 where I am living parliamentary, I don't like to drive normal cars :) 

I strongly agree with you to use the vehicle once in a while.

I will check with few Insurance companies for the policies available.

This is a registered pre-owned car, the agent is reselling it by the request of the owner.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, shinninglikeme said:

If you gather the information on SUVs than I am sure you will love the Tata Safari Storme. With its new look and chrome interiors it has become the favorite in the Srilanka Automotive Industry. Knowing the curvy roads of Nepal a SUV is the best choice. With automatic or manual transmission and also a diesel car it is the best for the roads. Tata motors' new cars in Sri Lanka has a big list with many names like

Tata Bolt

Tata Zest

Tata Indica

Tata Indigo

Tata Gen-X Nano

this sounds like it's straight out of a marketing campaign :D 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shinninglikeme said:

If you gather the information on SUVs than I am sure you will love the Tata Safari Storme. With its new look and chrome interiors it has become the favorite in the Srilanka Automotive Industry. Knowing the curvy roads of Nepal a SUV is the best choice. With automatic or manual transmission and also a diesel car it is the best for the roads. Tata motors' new cars in Sri Lanka has a big list with many names like

Tata Bolt

Tata Zest

Tata Indica

Tata Indigo

Tata Gen-X Nano

By the RUSH not these crap... by a land even....even a tractor

• Like 1

TATA :huh: Looks like you work in marketing for TATA agent in Sri Lanka, TATA Safari Strome, favorite in Sri Lanka :o Its easier to spot a leopard in Union place than spotting that thing.

You can get short term insurance in SL. Union Assurance used to advertise one month and 3 month insurance some time back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shinninglikeme said:

Tata Bolt

Tata Zest

Tata Indica

Tata Indigo

Tata Gen-X Nano

From where did you copy and paste this segment? In which department of D*MO you are working in? How do you say Tata Safari Storme has become the favorite in the Srilanka?  How many units can you see within day when you travel in Colombo? 

Go and check what happen to dashboards of Tata Indica? 

We had one Tata Indica bought in brand new in 2005. After few years dash board started to peel off (this was common with Tata Indicas). So D*MO used to collect such dashboards and issue cleaned one at Rs.3000/= those days. 

Stop doing garilla marketing here. 

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, shinninglikeme said:

Tata Bolt

Tata Zest

Tata Indica

Tata Indigo

Tata Gen-X Nano

5 minutes ago, Sampath Gunasekera said:

From where did you copy and paste this segment? In which department of D*MO you are working in?

Tata Motors Nepal maybe ;) 

19 hours ago, shinninglikeme said:

Tata Bolt

Tata Zest

Tata Indica

Tata Indigo

Tata Gen-X Nano

Your statement might be valid for Nepal, not to Sri Lanka..I also have seen many Tata vehicles in Kathmandu. Sri Lankans have rich taste about vehicle interiors than Indians.. So, no way that Sri Lankans would love Indian crappy interior. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 8:45 AM, smartcard said:

I used to stay inSri Lanka one month a year, and every time when I visit, finding a vehicle "rent" or "borrowing" is becoming a challenge. Therefore, I am planning to purchase a small SUV for vehicle that I have space in our garage.  Accordingly, I have shortlisted either to go with a Toyota Rush or Daihatsu Terios.

I have read many useful information about Terios vs. Rush and I have found  low mileage 2008 Rush for a 3.5 million which I hope is a reasonable price?

Since I will be using the vehicle only for a month in a year, can I go for a short term Motor Insurance?

When I buy the vehicle from the Car dealer, will they do the paperwork? I am planning to register it under my wife.  How long it will take complete the paperwork and drive my car from the car agent?

Thanks

Its a good buy at Rs. 3,500,000/= you could also look at a Suzuki Vitara at that price (same period car) but slightly bigger.

Not sure of short term insurance for motor vehicles, maybe you can get a thrid party insurance since you wont be using it much.

Some will do the transfer for you, transfer will happen within a day if you have the whole set of documents. You can drive off the car out of the showroom after paying the full amount, you can get the transferred documents the next day.

@shinninglikeme how much do you think a duty paid Safari will cost?? And most of the Tata range vehicles still are made on a 10+ year old platform (the Indica platform for Bolt / Zest / Indigo).