• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 engine issue

rukshankr

Question

Hi all,

I have a Mitsubishi pajero 2.8 exceed (manufactured in 1995) in which I have recently observed that the engine sound is little bit louder than usual with little vibration as well. My fuel consumption is also not very good it seams around 4-5 km per liter which I think should work more than that (I have recently bought the vehicle and have very little idea on this). my engine seem healthy with no oil leakages, no oil burning or black smoke.  

One of my friend told me this might link with diesel pump timing issue. Does any of you have any idea about the issue or can anyone point me to a good repairmen who is good with pajeros. It would be a big help friend since I am in big headache with this issue.   

6 answers to this question

Long live the Pajero !  :action-smiley-033:

start with re pressurizing the injectors. New air filterEtc checking by your age the engine may have had many overhauls in it's life up to now  get the engine mounts checked.

The vibration :your engine has a balance shaft which may have  been taken off by the local  engineer who taught the mitsu engineer  :D

Your consumption is heavily dependent on how the vehicle is driven , current engine state, level of compression etc.

The 4m40 engine is no paragon of efficiency and is no better than it's petrol brother when it comes to efficiency.+ check the valve clearances when the engine is warm and adjust if needed.use a good diesel engine oil.

Your A/c has an effect of loading up the engine badly.and is it automatic?

As for the timing and other twiddly bits,.better not worry it runs,..some one knowing what he was doing has blocked tjhe EGR.that's why it's not smoking.B)

Cheers.!

Ps. What's the milage of the Paj?

Edited by Twin Turbo

thank you very much for the reply.. Actually my AC is automatic..as you correctly mention it has a significant loading to the engine :).

Also after I bought the vehicle I replace the engine 3 months ago... and I personally imported it from Japan through a friend of mine.. now the milage is around 180k.. are there any good repairmen who is good with pajeros than can check my vehicle and give me some advice... after replacing the engine I thought everything will be fine though :( 

Also thank again for your valuable advises :)

23 hours ago, rukshankr said:

thank you very much for the reply.. Actually my AC is automatic..as you correctly mention it has a significant loading to the engine :).

Also after I bought the vehicle I replace the engine 3 months ago... and I personally imported it from Japan through a friend of mine.. now the milage is around 180k.. are there any good repairmen who is good with pajeros than can check my vehicle and give me some advice... after replacing the engine I thought everything will be fine though :( 

Also thank again for your valuable advises :)

I ment your Gearbox when I wrote Auto.

17 hours ago, rukshankr said:

Hi all,

I have a Mitsubishi pajero 2.8 exceed (manufactured in 1995) in which I have recently observed that the engine sound is little bit louder than usual with little vibration as well. My fuel consumption is also not very good it seams around 4-5 km per liter which I think should work more than that (I have recently bought the vehicle and have very little idea on this). my engine seem healthy with no oil leakages, no oil burning or black smoke.  

One of my friend told me this might link with diesel pump timing issue. Does any of you have any idea about the issue or can anyone point me to a good repairmen who is good with pajeros. It would be a big help friend since I am in big headache with this issue.   

Where do you live? Depending on that can suggest a mechanic (if needed)