• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice on Trading a Jaguar S Type for BMW E38, E39, E60 or Jaguar XJ (X350)

Kal-El

Question

Hi, Gentlemen and ladies (if there any)

I currently own a S Type Jaguar (2000 model year), which is a great machine that has very unique and distinctive looks and loads of road presence, specially where I live most of the time (outside the Colombo).

However, I have been thinking of trading my Jag to one of the following models.

1. BMW E38 - 740iL preferably (1998-2001) - used to be a dream car for me and still is to some extent,very rare to find.

2. BMW E39 - 525i, 530i preferably (2001-2003) - not sure if this will be a downgrade from my S type Jag in terms of looks, sheer road presence and power.

3. BMW E60 5 Series - (2003-2006) - Nice car, not many on classifieds like the F10 5 Series

4. Jaguar XJ (X350) - (2003-2007) - The big brother to my S Type. Amazing looks, expensive and very rare.

5. Audi A6 (C5) - (2000 - 2003) - also, not sure if this will be a downgrade from my S type Jag in terms of looks, sheer road presence and power.

6. Merc W211 E Class ( 2002 - 2005) - Looks elegant, may not be a bang for the buck due to high demand for Mercs in SL

Since I am used to fuel consumption, parts availability and maintenance cost of premium euro's, I humbly request from you to guide on on,

1. What kind of improvements that each model will offer in comparison to my S Type Jag ?

2. Can you point out a mint condition E38 (long wheel base LCI), E39, E60, XJ - X350 that is intended for trade / sale ?

3. Other general advice ?

Thanking you for your precious time..

Kal-El

bmw-740il-1.jpg

09_jaguar_xj_gray_2007_classic.jpg

66157769116da27c78b0b-in-hq-2003-bmw-540i-m-sport-preview-spec-and-wallpapers.jpg

BMW_E60_03-750x500 (1).jpg

Audi_A6_C5_front_20080121.jpg

15-mercedes-benz-w211-projector-headlights-03-06.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayman said:

Driving dynamics? Jaguar? The newer ones maybe. But the old X and S type were pretty bad. Jag's are cruisers. Extremely comfortable, but definitely not a driver's car. This is aside from the fact that the old S and X type were a Ford parts bin special.

Is this coming from your own experience or what you heard from some noob talk 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

A Jag is not a driver's car? What gives you that idea may I ask? Jags may be excellent at cruising but if you turn up the heat they respond to it very well indeed. 

Yeah I agree, especially when sport mode is on and the right foot is floored, it is suddenly become a beast of a different breed. Also the exhaust note helps too to sell it as a sports luxury sedan

1 hour ago, tharindra said:

Sorry for pitching in late, but you won't go wrong with the E39, probably the last 'purest' model BMW ever made and an excellent all rounder. Go for a face-lift M54 and I doubt you would want anything more out of a car. You would probably be a bit better off on the parts and maintenance side compared to the E38 as well.

Oh and ride-wise, upgrading to Bilsteins takes the E39 to a different level, so you get the luxury cruiser ride whilst retaining its sportiness.

Welcome to the discussion and thanks for your post. You must have great deal of experience with E39 to praise it such as most other E39 owners do.

But, do you have any hands on experience with E39 and E38 (facelift iL models, post 98) and are you sure, E39 will provide a better experience than my S Type Jag as E39 is a 3-4 year older platform than the S Type (99 tech vs 95-96 tech) ?

I have personally driven an E39 for once but the sample I drove was in bad condition, thus difficult for me to make any good comparison. Also what about E60, have you drove one and if you do, how does it fare against a facelifted E39 ?

I have driven a E60, in fact I had the honor of driving a particular rare version of it in SL, and it was probably the best saloon car I drove, mostly due to its epic engine, still I felt its maybe a bit less "hands on" than the E39. My opinion could be slightly biased however, because I believe BMW stopped building BMW's after the year 2003 :D 

The E39 is our family beater, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of driving an E38 [another great, would love to own one someday] or the S type to compare. 

M

13 minutes ago, tharindra said:

I have driven a E60, in fact I had the honor of driving a particular rare version of it in SL, and it was probably the best saloon car I drove, mostly due to its epic engine, still I felt its maybe a bit less "hands on" than the E39. My opinion could be slightly biased however, because I believe BMW stopped building BMW's after the year 2003 :D 

The E39 is our family beater, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of driving an E38 [another great, would love to own one someday] or the S type to compare. 

Most BMW enthusiasts seems to think that cars post E38 and E39 were underwhelming. E60 has loads of new tech (which I don't care much) and modern looks (which I might care a bit), but I agree E39 and E38 are timeless designs and their somewhat understated stance has ensured a cult following of car enthusiasts.

IMHO, your quote of E39 being a more hands on than E60, could be due to that E39 has less tech and toys. etc.

Before purchasing my S type, I have inspected 03 E39 (pre-facelift) and all three was not maintained well and needed lots of TLC, hence I stayed away. Soon after I have purchased my S Type, a gentleman offered me his minty 2000 E38 740IL for 2.3 mil, i still regret of not buying that one. Recently there was similar sample advertised for 2.85 mil on AL, which is also gone now. Do you happens to know a gentleman who intents to sell an E38 (740il - facelfit) ?

1 hour ago, tharindra said:

Also, does that RARE version of E60 that you drove had over 500 BHP and is armed with a monstrous V10 engine, and does it sport particular badge that starts with the letter M ? :unsure:

10 hours ago, tharindra said:

Will PM you a possible lead on an E38, and yes it is indeed that model:)...

Thank you very much for the PM.

OMG, I didn't knew we have an E60 M5 here in SL. :o

12 minutes ago, Supra_Natural said:

We do. One.

And who drives that beast ?, would love to hear the epic exhaust note of that one in person.

On 08/08/2016 at 4:11 PM, Kal-El said:

First of all, I see you got a great taste with cars and I admire that, :rolleyes:

Second, is there a particular reason why you are in for a W211 E class. I know it is a luxurious and prestigious vehicle. But It may be slightly behind BMW or Jaguar in terms of driving dynamics. Regardless a great choice that I full recommend.:rolleyes:

Actually it is my personal feeling after I had short drives in all cars you mentioned above except Audi. I just shared my view based on experience.

I might be wrong but that's my personal opinion. :)

1 minute ago, AJ84 said:

Actually it is my personal feeling after I had short drives in all cars you mentioned above except Audi. I just shared my view based on experience.

BTW some of them were left hand drive :D

2 hours ago, AJ84 said:

You had short drives of all these (except the Audi) ! :rolleyes:

You must have loads of friends who own Euro's and even bit exotic ones like E38 and XJ X350's.

Can you kindly compare E38 (rise quality, driving dynamics, aesthetics, comfort, etc.) to others as I am now considering a long wheel base, facelift E38 7 series.

Cheers

Ha haa. Thanks for the compliment!

:rolleyes:

Real case is that I was abroad for some time and some of rich foreigners were kind enough to let me drive their cars. :P

E38 i drove was a 740i short wheel base V8 1999 model (as per owner) left hand drive in Vietnam.

Car was good in comfort and aesthetics. Had real comfortable seats and above average comfortable suspension.

Driving I would say I experienced a lag of pickup as it had an auto transmission since that is the only one I drove, cannot compare or comment but it was lagging if I compare with the W211 I drove. Also steering was not so responsive and quick corners can end up understeering which I had to break hard a few times.

Above is completely related to the one I drove and pls do not get it as a general comment on E38.

Happy to discuss more :)

On 13/08/2016 at 2:43 PM, Kal-El said:

You had short drives of all these (except the Audi) ! :rolleyes:

You must have loads of friends who own Euro's and even bit exotic ones like E38 and XJ X350's.

Can you kindly compare E38 (rise quality, driving dynamics, aesthetics, comfort, etc.) to others as I am now considering a long wheel base, facelift E38 7 series.

Cheers

BTW is this you? :)

Screenshot_2016-08-15-08-43-06.png

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 8:19 AM, AJ84 said:

Ha haa. Thanks for the compliment!

:rolleyes:

Real case is that I was abroad for some time and some of rich foreigners were kind enough to let me drive their cars. :P

E38 i drove was a 740i short wheel base V8 1999 model (as per owner) left hand drive in Vietnam.

Car was good in comfort and aesthetics. Had real comfortable seats and above average comfortable suspension.

Driving I would say I experienced a lag of pickup as it had an auto transmission since that is the only one I drove, cannot compare or comment but it was lagging if I compare with the W211 I drove. Also steering was not so responsive and quick corners can end up understeering which I had to break hard a few times.

Above is completely related to the one I drove and pls do not get it as a general comment on E38.

Happy to discuss more :)

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

E38 (and E39) has the reputation as some of the best sedans ever built. It may be that, the one you drove may not be in the best of conditions, mechanically wise. Or may be that, E38 may not stands up to more modern cars anymore as the technology (even though cutting edge at that time) is now aging and lagging compared to more modern sedans, hence your rather less than enthusiastic impression.

This is one of the more important things I would like to know more. How E38 (and other cars mentioned in this thread) stands up to modern cars (modern successors to those and generally popular modern sedans ? Does a car like E38 is still a good buy if ones goal is comfort, luxury, sheer road presence, driving dynamics, looks in comparison to more modern cars of it price range ?, or are there any more sensible options that meets these requirements better than a 15-20 year old BMW ?

On 8/16/2016 at 11:24 AM, Kal-El said:

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

E38 (and E39) has the reputation as some of the best sedans ever built. It may be that, the one you drove may not be in the best of conditions, mechanically wise. Or may be that, E38 may not stands up to more modern cars anymore as the technology (even though cutting edge at that time) is now aging and lagging compared to more modern sedans, hence your rather less than enthusiastic impression.

This is one of the more important things I would like to know more. How E38 (and other cars mentioned in this thread) stands up to modern cars (modern successors to those and generally popular modern sedans ? Does a car like E38 is still a good buy if ones goal is comfort, luxury, sheer road presence, driving dynamics, looks in comparison to more modern cars of it price range ?, or are there any more sensible options that meets these requirements better than a 15-20 year old BMW ?

I agree with you. May be the one I drove has become old and not taken care of (It looked nice in exterior/interior appearance though)

Answer to your 2nd para, Of course buying a E38 will not make you an idiot. Despite the age of the great car I think most people still say E38 is the best 7 series car BMW made so far. Rather than spending few more millions on a Candy Box with bells and whistles you better buy a E38 as it is giving you the pleasure of driving as we refer to old cars as well as technology still can go together with new cars.

I personally back up your opinion on buying E38 :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, c1nder said:

Theres a good looking 735 for sale. Admins please remove if against rules 

Hey Kal-El

Finally you got one. Beautiful piece there man. Go for it.

Edited by Supra_Natural

3 hours ago, AJ84 said:

Hey Kal-El

Finally you got one. Beautiful piece there man. Go for it.

7 hours ago, c1nder said:

He doesn't want an E65. 

Edited by Supra_Natural

9 hours ago, c1nder said:

link removed - advert 

I saw that ad on the quick site. But it is an E65 (Actually E66 as it is a long wheel base model) of 7 series and the asking price for a 14 year old car is bonkers, almost LKR 6 million. There were a blue color E66 advertised for 3.8 millon few months ago, that is a priced to sell. but not this one, not for that price.

Thank you for the info BTW. I appreciate that :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

He doesn't want an E65. 

Yes, I am looking for an E38 and not E65.

Majority of BMW enthusiasts hates E65 / E66 and E60 due to Chris Bangle's somewhat controversial design choices. Personally I liked the E65/66 and thinks it is much more modern looking and relevant than an E38. But it is not interests me as much as an E38 as I know E65 / 66 are currently out of my budget range. 

Despite boxy and old school looks, there is something about the design  of E38 that attracts me to it so much,. It's rarity could also be a factor for in its favor, specially here in SL roads.

On 8/18/2016 at 9:51 AM, AJ84 said:

I agree with you. May be the one I drove has become old and not taken care of (It looked nice in exterior/interior appearance though)

Answer to your 2nd para, Of course buying a E38 will not make you an idiot. Despite the age of the great car I think most people still say E38 is the best 7 series car BMW made so far. Rather than spending few more millions on a Candy Box with bells and whistles you better buy a E38 as it is giving you the pleasure of driving as we refer to old cars as well as technology still can go together with new cars.

I personally back up your opinion on buying E38 :)

Thank you for backing me up.

But there is still slight doubt about upgrading to an E38 from a S Type Jag. S type is a more modern (with retro looks that is a homage to original S Type of 60's) car (1999-2008) than E38 (1995-2001). So I am worried that, E38 could be a downgrade from the S type.

Now if someone with hands on experience of both cars... doors are open to share your opinions