• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle transfer fees 2016

Mahinda123

Question

Dear friends, 

I need some help

I am in UVA province, 2 years before I bought a used motorbike from Central province and he was the second owner.

I kept documents as open papers and document transfer process still not done,   Now I need to transfer motorbike ownership to my name. 

RMV web showing year 2013 fees, I guess in 2016 chargers are not same.

If you are experience please help me on below Q
1)    I need to know how much i have to pay for motorbike ownership transfer.  ( Not one day service )

2)   2 years I kept without transfer to my name,  is there any penalty charges  for that  ?( but Insurance and  revenue license taken using first owners name).

3)    Number plates need to be replaced because I am in another providence, what is the procedure and fees for that.

4)    DS office saying, now they not handle Vehicle Ownership Transfer Process and I have to go RMV office at Nrahenpita.   Is there any options without go to Narahenpita office ?

I try to call few days to Narahenpita office but phone always engage :(

If can please share your experience.

Thanks.
Mahinda

Edited by Mahinda123

6 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Mahinda123 said:

Dear friends, 

I need some help

I am in UVA province, 2 years before I bought a used motorbike from Central province and he was the second owner.

I kept documents as open papers and document transfer process still not done,   Now I need to transfer motorbike ownership to my name. 

RMV web showing year 2013 fees, I guess in 2016 chargers are not same.

If you are experience please help me on below Q
1)    I need to know how much i have to pay for motorbike ownership transfer.  ( Not one day service )

2)   2 years I kept without transfer to my name,  is there any penalty charges  for that  ?( but Insurance and  revenue license taken using first owners name).

3)    Number plates need to be replaced because I am in another providence, what is the procedure and fees for that.

4)    DS office saying, now they not handle Vehicle Ownership Transfer Process and I have to go RMV office at Nrahenpita.   Is there any options without go to Narahenpita office ?

I try to call few days to Narahenpita office but phone always engage :(

If can please share your experience.

Thanks.
Mahinda

1. Fees have not changed since 2013

2. If the papers are dated, then you will have to pay a penalty of Rs. 100 per day from the date marked in the papers. You can take insurance and revenue license in anyone's name. Even your pet dog's name if you like. But transfer needs to be done within 14 days or you will be liable for a fine.

They are also planning to implement more severe penalties for delayed transfers. In the future, people who keep using vehicles on open papers can be taken to courts and they can be subjected to a custodial (prison) sentence.

Further, if the date on the transfer papers is more than 6 months old, you CANNOT do a one-day transfer.

3. It will be done along with the transfer. 

4. I am surprised to hear that. DS can accept papers for transfer on behalf of RMV. Anyway, you have a better chance of winning a fight with a lion than with a government official. If you are ok to travel, head over to Colombo and get it done. 

• Like 3

Yesterday I saw a paper article that, RMV is planing to give concessionary period (around three months starting from next month or so) for open paper transfers before implementing court cases. 

Please check this and use it. 

• Like 2

Best you call the and check what is the best way of doing.

I know these numbers are always busy, but there are quite a few number and keep try one after the other and you will get through (That's how I catch somebody to talk).

• Like 1

Dear Crosswind, your reply with lot of information. Thank you very much for help. 

Jayanathkarunarathna , Gayanath and LancerL  thank you very much. Really appreciate your knowledge sharing and your valuable time.

I will go to Colombo that is the best solution.

Thanks.

Edited by Mahinda123