• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla CE110 is it worth buying?

Hashitha

Question

Hello Friends,

I have found this forum useful with my Corolla DX KE72.

Now I am thinking of an upgrade. One of my relatives owns a Corolla CE110, 1998, Diesel. Auto transmission and he is the first owner. Seems to be in good condition. I going for a test run tomorrow. I would like to get your kind expert opinion about it. vehicle is registered as 65- (can that be, as English numbers were started by 1997 or so)? What should I look when I test this vehicle? My mechanic told me about first heat start, to take oil gauge out while the engine is running and check for any splashes of oil. 

My other question is, that I have not seen a lot of adverts on this model on care sale websites? is that a sign of poor second hand market or otherwise that who owns it does not want to sell?

Your responses are much appreciated.

Cheers

H

Edited by Hashitha
typos

19 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Hashitha said:

Hello Friends,

I have found this forum useful with my Corolla DX KE72.

Now I am thinking of an upgrade. One of my relatives owns a Corolla CE110, 1998, Diesel. Auto transmission and he is the first owner. Seems to be in good condition. I going for a test run tomorrow. I would like to get your kind expert opinion about it. vehicle is registered as 65- (can that be, as English numbers were started by 1997 or so)? What should I look when I test this vehicle? My mechanic told me about first heat start, to take oil gauge out while the engine is running and check for any splashes of oil. 

My other question is, that I have not seen a lot of adverts on this model on care sale websites? is that a sign of poor second hand market or otherwise that who owns it does not want to sell?

Your responses are much appreciated.

Cheers

H

1. English numbers started in 1999 or 2000 as I remember. So 65 is possible. 

2. If it owns by your relative and since he is the first owner, then you could know about the full history of the vehicle rather than any other. So, if past records are clear, this could be the best deal for you.....

• Like 1

Our family had this car between 1999-2013 and it was a 65-Diesel model (registered in 1999 so 65- number for your vehicle is possible). The last few years I inherited it and it was technically my first car. It was a great vehicle and I loved it. It had clocked 265000km when I sold it and it wasn't difficult to sell even after that much use so I don't think you need to worry about the second hand market. It's a Toyota after all.

When I used it I ran long miles with it, as in for around 1000-1500km per month including Kandy-Colombo up and down trips 4 times a month. Apparently this car does 15kmpl in fuel but I think I got 8-10kmpl on average. I never really measured it and I didn't drive it with fuel in mind either way. 

Things to note are that we had to overhaul the engine at 150000km (if memory serves correct) which is not that uncommon for a 2C diesel engine as I know. 

You might also want to check and replace all the radiator hoses. Towards the end mine kept blowing at random times. 

Check the brakes and for any ABS warning indicators. 

• Like 1

Congrats bro,.on your up coming upgrade.

Having said that, your getting a car nearly 20 years old.   And will have the probs of a car having been driven half way to the moon.

you'll prob need

1. Full engine o/.h

.2.reco trans + system flush. ( prob never saw an ATF change.)

3. New suspension.  

4.  New brakes ( since it's auto)

Good luck!:sad-smiley-067:

Note: These recommendations were made taking into account local driving conditions, Fuel-quality and sulpher content,and typical engine oil I wouldn't use to lubricate my wheelbarrow.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ramishkad said:

Our family had this car between 1999-2013 and it was a 65-Diesel model (registered in 1999 so 65- number for your vehicle is possible). The last few years I inherited it and it was technically my first car. It was a great vehicle and I loved it. It had clocked 265000km when I sold it and it wasn't difficult to sell even after that much use so I don't think you need to worry about the second hand market. It's a Toyota after all.

When I used it I ran long miles with it, as in for around 1000-1500km per month including Kandy-Colombo up and down trips 4 times a month. Apparently this car does 15kmpl in fuel but I think I got 8-10kmpl on average. I never really measured it and I didn't drive it with fuel in mind either way. 

Things to note are that we had to overhaul the engine at 150000km (if memory serves correct) which is not that uncommon for a 2C diesel engine as I know. 

You might also want to check and replace all the radiator hoses. Towards the end mine kept blowing at random times. 

Check the brakes and for any ABS warning indicators. 

@ramishkad

Since you have used CE110 for 14 years and more than 200,000 km you will be one of a best person to explain the maintenance aspect for long run of same car. 

Could you little explain what maintenance and repairs done at which millage / duration briefly if you have time? It will be a great help. 

Thanks friends for all the feed back. 

It is white car, CE 110 LX, it has done 235,000 km, engine overhaul done at 170,000 km. Paint sun scorched on the bonnet. Owner is paying for the repaint and cleaning. New battery and tires are fairly okay -perhaps another 5000 km. Starts quickly and no splashes of oil coming out of oil gauge. 

Owner wants 1,750,000/-, he assures 50,000 km without any fuzz. 

Is it worth that much?for a 65-

I went to see the vehicle as a quite confidently, thanks to your inputs.

8 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Congrats bro,.on your up coming upgrade.

Having said that, your getting a car nearly 20 years old.   And will have the probs of a car having been driven half way to the moon.

you'll prob need

1. Full engine o/.h

.2.reco trans + system flush. ( prob never saw an ATF change.)

3. New suspension.  

4.  New brakes ( since it's auto)

Good luck!:sad-smiley-067:

Note: These recommendations were made taking into account local driving conditions, Fuel-quality and sulpher content,and typical engine oil I wouldn't use to lubricate my wheelbarrow.

2.reco trans + system flush. ( prob never saw an ATF change.)

Hi TwinTurbo,

Could you please help me to with this point, I am new to tech jargon. 

H

2. This means a replacement used automatic gearbox.

Having said that, Start with a good service of the existing unit, Toyota mak'em tough.l  :angry-smiley-044:  Besides, We don't go replacing gear boxes just  because we don't have anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon.

• ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid . for your car it's a red colored fluid looking like cough syrup AKA the life blood of the gear box. Recommend a place specializing on Auto boxes for a good service.-*Ref previous posts
  • Remember, Maintenance is cheaper than Repair/replacement.

Ah, Do you have any idea of it's maintenance history? as the 2C engine is having a timing belt and must be replaced every 100 000km with genuine stuff.  And if the car was maintained at Daragarage, you can be guaranteed that it's a cheap knock off and will last less than  thee recommended mileage

Cheers..

Edited by Twin Turbo

Hi Twin Turbo,

Thanks for this update. I will get a full checkup on the system once I lay hands on the vehicle. The owner has looked after it through his personal friends garage. The garage is somewhere at Templars Road Mt. 

I will get a check done on ATF before I take it home and the gearbox as well. My gosh, its like learning entire new science. But this is very much a good conversation which helps me to be a better vehicle owner. 

Owner has changed the T-belt at 200,000 km but will double check on it as well. I trust the owner in the sense he is a strict administrator and a strict academic who ran a higher education institute for two consecutive occasions and retired without a single day of extension to look after his own tea plantation. He owns a Toyota Avanza and a tata cab. So there is no space for him to keep the car and does not need it anymore. 

Will post a few pics when I get it. 

Thanks again for the inputs, and I will continue this thread with all the ups and downs to tell others how things move along.

Cheers

H

These are the specifics I got through jpnauction.com

Body type: SED
Catalogue number: 151140
Colour code: 040
Compatible models: AE11#,CE11#,EE111
Engine: 2C
Grade: LX
Model Code: AEPDS
Model: COROLLA
Transmission: ATM
Code of upholstery: FB11

It was manufactured on June 1997.

Well truth betold, We shouldn't give a rats on what the owner does as long as he spends the time and money to properly look after his car.

Smart guy, the owner is,  Once he's done sucking the life out of  a car,he sells it with a lame excuse.

TT.:)

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2016 at 10:42 AM, gayanath said:

@ramishkad

Since you have used CE110 for 14 years and more than 200,000 km you will be one of a best person to explain the maintenance aspect for long run of same car. 

Could you little explain what maintenance and repairs done at which millage / duration briefly if you have time? It will be a great help. 

Hi,

I can't remember all the repairs I did on the car but I'll try to put down the ones I remember.

• Had to replace the gearbox with a second hand one around 200000k km. The R gear wouldn't engage properly when starting up in the mornings.  
  • Engine overhaul at 150000km.
  • Fixed couple of faults with the ABS system once ABS warning indicator came up had to replace several sensors.
  • It had a problem with brakes where the stopping distance would be greater than normal especially when braking while going downhill. This did not always happen. But I never really could fix this properly. I replaced almost everything in the brakes including the master pump but it was still there when I sold it. I informed the new buyer of this and don't know if he managed to fix it.
  • Replaced front headlights with Xenon lamps as I could not see properly at night with the factory head lamps. 

Apart from that, routine service at every 5000km. I had to change brake pads at every 10000km or so. Timing belt change at roughly every 100000km. Tire replacement at 25-30000km.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramishkad said:

Hi,

I can't remember all the repairs I did on the car but I'll try to put down the ones I remember.

• Had to replace the gearbox with a second hand one around 200000k km. The R gear wouldn't engage properly when starting up in the mornings.  
  • Engine overhaul at 150000km.
  • Fixed couple of faults with the ABS system once ABS warning indicator came up had to replace several sensors.
  • It had a problem with brakes where the stopping distance would be greater than normal especially when braking while going downhill. This did not always happen. But I never really could fix this properly. I replaced almost everything in the brakes including the master pump but it was still there when I sold it. I informed the new buyer of this and don't know if he managed to fix it.
  • Replaced front headlights with Xenon lamps as I could not see properly at night with the factory head lamps. 

Apart from that, routine service at every 5000km. I had to change brake pads at every 10000km or so. Timing belt change at roughly every 100000km. Tire replacement at 25-30000km.

@ramishkad

Thanks a lot for the information and your valuable time. 

1. Which interval did you change ATF?

2. Is brake pad change at every 10000km a typo error (hope it should be more than that) or is it real? 

2 hours ago, gayanath said:

@ramishkad

Thanks a lot for the information and your valuable time. 

1. Which interval did you change ATF?

2. Is brake pad change at every 10000km a typo error (hope it should be more than that) or is it real? 

ATF changed every 40000km after I started using it. I am not sure what the interval was when my father was using the car.

As for brake pads no that wasn't a typo. I actually am speaking about the last few months I was using the car which is when I noticed this short interval. For some reason brake pads were wearing thin really fast and had to replaced at 10000-15000km intervals. I was climbing down Kadugannawa 4 times a month but I doubt this caused such high wear and tear. In contrast the vehicle I am using right now, I'm using OEM break pads for 88000km and they are still quite good.

• Like 1

I have used a CE110 manual one from 56000km to 285000km in 16 years. It is a very reliable and easy to maintain.

Engine overhauled at 175000km and up to the time of sale doing fine. Almost all parts are available at very reasonable price.

However I had to replace headlamps twice due to discoloration and steering wheel four times due to deterioration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolseley said:

I have used a CE110 manual one from 56000km to 285000km in 16 years. It is a very reliable and easy to maintain.

Engine overhauled at 175000km and up to the time of sale doing fine. Almost all parts are available at very reasonable price.

However I had to replace headlamps twice due to discoloration and steering wheel four times due to deterioration.

Overhauled at 175,000? what might have caused the engine to be overhauled at a lower mileage like that? its not that low i know, but usually when it reaches around 250k or so is when a typical overhaul is takes place right? since you have used the vehicle from a lower mileage, you might know the causes for it pretty well... could you enlighten me on it?

@PreseaLover

Since I wanted to keep the car for some time I got the engine repaired as soon as the  the early signs appeared. Otherwise you have to suffer starting problems, overheating, messy engine etc.,  So It was easy to rebuild  even using the existing pistons unlike the totally abused engine.

45 minutes ago, wolseley said:

@PreseaLover

Since I wanted to keep the car for some time I got the engine repaired as soon as the  the early signs appeared. Otherwise you have to suffer starting problems, overheating, messy engine etc.,  So It was easy to rebuild  even using the existing pistons unlike the totally abused engine.

ohh right okay.