• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

catalytic converter in VIOS

puff001

Question

My Vios cars catalytic converter is bugging me for several months now.  Scanners says catalytic converter below efficiency. I talk with couple of mechanics and some say iI need to change the O2 sensor, and some says i need to replace the catalytic converter which happens to be the three quarter of the exhaust pipe. cost of the genuine part is nearly 1 Lahk. Does any one know what needs to be done, Can i clean it without replacing ? I can go for a second hand part which will cost me about 20K but no guarantee.

17 answers to this question

8 hours ago, puff001 said:

Yes it burns oil. I had to add about two liters of oil between services. Does it mean the cat became contaminated as of a engine problem ? 

him : Yes check engine indicator lights up when this happens. 

Just as  I suspected. What happens when you have a oil burning issue is that the catalytic converter gets coated with oily deposits and carbon thus reducing its efficiency. The ECU compares the signals from two O2 sensors (before and after converter) and gives out a fault code if the difference between two signals are less than a predetermined value. But keep in mind that burning oil also weakens the O2 sensors. So the best approach IMO is to attend to the oil burning issue first (could be valve guides and/or piston rings), then clean the cat and O2 sensors and see if it works. (Should work at least for a few months) However,depending on how bad the oily deposits are sometimes you may have to change the cat.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Im not quite sure whether cleaning this will help you out. But its worth trying since buying a new one cost you a fortune. Also I have seen few youtube videos where they soak and wash the catalytic converter and they claim it works (could be vary depending on how badly damaged )

However, I hope experts who have similar experience will help you out.

BUMP...

• Like 1

On 7/21/2016 at 10:47 AM, puff001 said:

My Vios cars catalytic converter is bugging me for several months now.  Scanners says catalytic converter below efficiency. I talk with couple of mechanics and some say iI need to change the O2 sensor, and some says i need to replace the catalytic converter which happens to be the three quarter of the exhaust pipe. cost of the genuine part is nearly 1 Lahk. Does any one know what needs to be done, Can i clean it without replacing ? I can go for a second hand part which will cost me about 20K but no guarantee.

Got the same problem to my vios 2003 as well, replaced both oxygen sensors + cleanup the catalytic converter, no luck, one drive in highway check engine light on, did you got solution for this? 

On 3/11/2020 at 7:17 AM, Maddy said:

Got the same problem to my vios 2003 as well, replaced both oxygen sensors + cleanup the catalytic converter, no luck, one drive in highway check engine light on, did you got solution for this? 

used/ 2nd hand part?

Catalytic converter bugging in the sense? giving an alarm only or it has directly affected to your performance?  I hope this is your alarm code. If so please follow the steps accordingly. 

Fault Code :- Р0420

Affected System :-  Low efficiency catalytic converter
Reasons :-

- Exhaust pipe and catalytic converter.
- Leaks in the exhaust system.
- AFS sensor (S1).
- Oxygen sensor (S2).

34 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

HI,looks like you're going for an overhaul.

best used a monograde oil for the engine.

ad yes the oil may have contaminated to o2 sensor and cat. but keep the oil to the max line only as over-filling makes it worse.

Uhhhh... Why is your comment written the other way? ?