• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying Kia Picanto

chamilka

Hi all,

I'm planing to buy a Kia Picanto soon. I'm struggling to choose between Celerio and Picanto. My daily travel to work includes 80km with Kandy city traffic. So I'm looking for a good looking, Fuel efficient around 2.8 mil.

Would like to know your valuable opinions on picanto's,

1. Fuel efficiency of 1000cc MPI engine.

2. Maintenance and parts availability of Kia vehicles.

Thank you,

if you're talking about the new Kia Picanto, spare parts won't be an issue as you have KIA lanka as the agent they are kinda bound to bring down any part if you ask them and they should probably have all the common spares in stocks. 

I have never driven either the Picanto or the Celerio but if you can check the safety ratings, I think Picanto has like 4 stars while most of the Indian cars recently scored zero. so my suggestion is without limiting to fuel efficiency and spares, be mindful about the safety and safe features such as ABS, Airbags etc.  

True on the space. But of all brandnew offerings in this price bracket the picanto has the best interior fit & finish. Plus the vehicle feels solid to the hand & simply reassures those safety ratings. Celerio is meant to save fuel hence the lightweight panels & cheap plastics.

Going solely by the two denominators on fuel efficiency & spare parts availability celerio wins hands down. 

But if youre willing to compromise on the added fuel & maintenance cost you'd get a nice looking car with better safety & ride quality. Just make sure you dont have above average sized family/friends who cant fit in it.

• Like 1

Once I saw a Celerio with Reg. no CAE-**** floor board has start rusting, think the metal is thin and low quality comparing to a Jap car.

No experience with Picanto, so cannot comment on it, but look wise it's a nice car.

On 7/19/2016 at 11:55 PM, NeroX said:

True on the space. But of all brandnew offerings in this price bracket the picanto has the best interior fit & finish. Plus the vehicle feels solid to the hand & simply reassures those safety ratings. Celerio is meant to save fuel hence the lightweight panels & cheap plastics.

Going solely by the two denominators on fuel efficiency & spare parts availability celerio wins hands down. 

But if youre willing to compromise on the added fuel & maintenance cost you'd get a nice looking car with better safety & ride quality. Just make sure you dont have above average sized family/friends who cant fit in it.

Haven't driven/been in a Picanto but I agree on the plasticky feel of the celerio. Picanto has some excellent reviews worldwide. Plus it just looks good. I've seen a quite a few with CAQ plates even in the outstations - I guess this will be quite a hit in SL specially given the current market .If I'd had a budget of around that amount and needed to go for a B/new I'd definitely go for the picanto.

• 11 months later...
On 19/07/2016 at 3:13 PM, chamilka said:

Hi all,

I'm planing to buy a Kia Picanto soon. I'm struggling to choose between Celerio and Picanto. My daily travel to work includes 80km with Kandy city traffic. So I'm looking for a good looking, Fuel efficient around 2.8 mil.

Would like to know your valuable opinions on picanto's,

1. Fuel efficiency of 1000cc MPI engine.

2. Maintenance and parts availability of Kia vehicles.

Thank you,

Hi Chamilka, since you are driving in Kandy traffic, I will describe our experience with Kia Picanto 2016 model in Kandy traffic and my wife has this car and it is her daily drive.

The car has 5 year warranty, ABS, Dual Airbags. So the spare parts will not be a problem you can always get it from Kia Sri Lanka. The build quality of the Kia is excellent compared to Celario and safety wise it is also better choice.

It has a good pulling power though it has 1l engine and speeding up Kadugannawa will not be a problem.

It has very comfortable front seats and very nice interior compared to Indian cars. The space in the back seat is not sufficient for adults with long legs ( height > 5'6") and ride in the back seat is not a comfortable experience.

Fuel efficiency.

My wife bout this car in March 2016 and now it has 2400 km on the ODO, we tracked the fuel efficiency using an app, the average is around 11.3 in Kandy traffic. In the long run (Kandy-Colombo-Kandy the average is around 14.0)

Celerio may have slightly better fuel efficiency in the Kandy traffic but you have to sacrifice the safety and build quality for the slight fuel efficiency, it is better if you can get the real fuel efficiency of Celerio from a person who daily drives in Kandy traffic.

The price of brand new Kia picanto 2016 or 2017 will be more than 3.1 Million with ABS and Dual Air bags,

Do not buy the picanto version without ABS and Airbags which goes around 2.9 million,safety there is no much difference with this version and Indian cars.

Edited by tbird

21 hours ago, tbird said:

Fuel efficiency.

My wife bout this car in March 2016 and now it has 2400 km on the ODO, we tracked the fuel efficiency using an app, the average is around 11.3 in Kandy traffic. In the long run (Kandy-Colombo-Kandy the average is around 14.0)

uhh..so in 15 months you put only 2400km ? so an average of 160km per month ? The engine has barely broken in and if anything like other cars, things like fuel efficieny might slightly alter after the next few services. 

Picanto is not a fuel efficient car mine (2017) does 10-11 kmpl in Colombo driven in mix of heavy and moderate traffic conditions.

Even after run in i don't expect to that to improve significantly.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

uhh..so in 15 months you put only 2400km ? so an average of 160km per month ? The engine has barely broken in and if anything like other cars, things like fuel efficieny might slightly alter after the next few services. 

Thanks iRage, my mistake, actually we purchased it on late March 2017, so its around 3 months. around 800 km/month

Edited by tbird