• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

D.I.Y. A/C register fix

So I had had it with being unable to direct air flow from the A/C in the Starlet. Being too lazy (and cheap) to buy new vents, I decided to spend my Sunday afternoon fiddling with them. I popped them out using a long shaft flat head screw driver. Please note YMMV with your particular make of car, but I think it's safe to say this is common to the majority of 90's Toyotas. It's a very simple mechanism, each louver has a pivot point, to which is attached a spine (for lack of better term) which moves them along in unison. It's this spine bit which disintegrates with age, along with inserts on either side of the vent which mate with round nubs in the vent itself which hold it in place and allow vertical movement. My theory is that these bits are made from a low friction plastic which is more brittle and prone to aging.

The fix requires a bit of patience, and some left over pieces of PET (collar inserts from new shirts in their packing work a treat). Note, my fix is extremely ghetto, and I only spent 10 minutes per register; one could easily fabricate much neater and robust pieces, but I have the patience of a 4 year old child.

20160717_151515.jpg

20160717_150742.jpg

Edited by terrabytetango

Great simple DIY project. Thanks for sharing. Inserting a L or U type piece of PET might be more stronger and durable if the space permits, just an idea!

great.. I also once did the same with a piece of cardboard and mine survived almost 2 years... However, if was not very flexible like the original fitting.. So need to handle with care, otherwise there is a tendency of breaking inner parts..