• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 406

Urmask

My father is obsessed with Toyota and all the Japanese cars. But is it that hard to maintain a  Peugeot 406? Is there a significant difference between Peugeot 406 parts and Corolla 110 spares? I don't understand what's wrong with europ cars second hand market value in Sri Lanka. 

Is there a significant difference between Peugeot 406 parts and Corolla 110 spares?  . Yes !!!  you cannot get cheap spareparts for a peugeot 

And it isnt hard to maintain a peugeot . only thing is that a 110 can keep running with minimum or no maintenance while a peugeot would need to be looked after and maintained correctly. 

• Like 1

You're comparing apples to oranges bro.Depends on where you maintain the car.

The local agent for Pug, - there ok ,nothing exceptional.

Toyota - they are right up there as the best car company in the world.

Yes there are copies, and copies of copies of Toyota parts. But not for Pug in SL.

There are copies for Peugeot spare parts as well. That has become an issue as of recently. Copies are also expensive. I used to bring down parts from ebay for my 407. As of labor and maintenance, I never went for agents. But for accident repairs agent was better (as long as your insurance pays off the bill ) :D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am having an issue with my 406.

the idle rpm gets stuck in 1500 range and just wobbles in that range after driving 50km straight. The worst part is if if i take my foot off from gas in gear the engine makes a sudden hard knock and kind of feels like the engine stops or something.

So far I have replaced the stepper motor, did a carbon clearing of throttle and intake but nothing seems to work. I am going to replace the TPS also and see whether it will help.

Has anyone had this issue before? can some one tell me or point me to where this issue might be coming from.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

@harshansenadhir any idea bro?

On 11/3/2016 at 3:58 PM, 88_NANA said:

the idle rpm gets stuck in 1500 range and just wobbles in that range after driving 50km straight. The worst part is if if i take my foot off from gas in gear the engine makes a sudden hard knock and kind of feels like the engine stops or something.

So far I have replaced the stepper motor, did a carbon clearing of throttle and intake but nothing seems to work. I am going to replace the TPS also and see whether it will help.

Has anyone had this issue before? can some one tell me or point me to where this issue might be coming from.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Clean the throttle-body.

↓↓↓↓

On 03/11/2016 at 9:28 PM, 88_NANA said:

Thanks in advance.

@88_NANA, Before blindly replacing the TPS, get a diagnosis done and observe the readings of the TPS and watch for "dead spots" when you press the accelerator pedal.

Hi all thank you so much for the inputs.

In a cold start the car revs up-to about 1000. and it usually revs down to about 800 after warming up. with AC theres only a little diff but never reaches 1500rpm to warm up.There was an issue with pulse air pump not working and I fixed that too but still the idle issue is there. 

I've spent a lot (mentioning these so you can rule them out, AC compressor, alternator, clutch with pressure plate, timing belt kit +water pump, radiator, throttle position sensor (TPS), stepper motor) on the car so I am very reluctant to sell it.plus shes a beauty :) 

Well, for me the issue boils down to the stepper motor for the following two reasons although it has been replaced once.

1. Cold start revs at 1000 RPM is on the lower side, which means the stepper motor is not retracting enough to open the air passage to rev up more.

2. While on the run if you take your foot off suddenly the engine knocks and stalls. Again this is a sign that the stepper motor is not retracting back fully and be ready for a sudden throttle closure when the engine is operating at cruising speeds.

Did you replace the motor with an original new one or a used/after-market one? Did you have the same issue with same symptoms before you changed the stepper motor or were the symptoms different then?

6 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

Well, for me the issue boils down to the stepper motor for the following two reasons although it has been replaced once.

1. Cold start revs at 1000 RPM is on the lower side, which means the stepper motor is not retracting enough to open the air passage to rev up more.

2. While on the run if you take your foot off suddenly the engine knocks and stalls. Again this is a sign that the stepper motor is not retracting back fully and be ready for a sudden throttle closure when the engine is operating at cruising speeds.

Did you replace the motor with an original new one or a used/after-market one? Did you have the same issue with same symptoms before you changed the stepper motor or were the symptoms different then?

This is what my technician said and my personal feeling too, so at first I had a used one then I replaced it with a Magneti Marelli (original one also) I also had my wiring checked for this to make sure that its the issue. I will try to get a temporally one and test again.

The original stepper couldn't hold idle and stopped when ever I took the foot off gas that's when I got that replaced. but yes the throttle unstable issue surfaced after I replaced the stepper.

20 minutes ago, 88_NANA said:

This is what my technician said and my personal feeling too, so at first I had a used one then I replaced it with a Magneti Marelli (original one also) I also had my wiring checked for this to make sure that its the issue. I will try to get a temporally one and test again.

The original stepper couldn't hold idle and stopped when ever I took the foot off gas that's when I got that replaced. but yes the throttle unstable issue surfaced after I replaced the stepper.

If at any point the replacement stepper motors were cleaned before installation by spraying throttle body cleaner directly at them, there is a high chance that they would have failed due to that. Plunger type stepper motors are known to fail this way as the liquid runs into the motor housing and damages the coils inside. The recommended way is to clean the unit by spray throttle body cleaner to a clean rag and use that to clean the stepper motor. Just saying because it looks like you have gone through a couple of stepper motors without success. Our mechanics are known for spraying stuff directly on throttle bodies and electronic components. :)

Also, if you have a workshop manual at hand, you can follow the procedure to check the voltage at the stepper motor connector (and the TPS connector if possible) to make sure the ECU is regulating the voltage properly. It should be a quite straightforward process. 

• Like 1

Fully agree with Davy's comments above. I know a colleague of mine who changed two motors within a couple of years time. If you can fix a temporary one and get a stable idle speed you can follow the steps below to test the original one to some extent.

Bring the engine to a stable idle at the working temperature with AC off and stop it.

Remove the existing motor, fix the temporary one and start the engine. If you inspect the pintel of the removed motor it should now be almost fully extended.

Stop the engine remove the stepper motor connector and connect it to the original one which is in your hand. 

Start the engine again (but do not rev up at all during starting) holding the motor in hand (position is a bit awkward so take care) so that you can feel when the motor is working (or struggling to move). Now slowly rev up the engine to 2500 RPM and hold it for about 10 seconds. The stepper should retract smoothly. Now slowly release the throttle. The stepper motor should move the pintle to its original position in a smooth manner. If the stepper motor struggles to move at any point in its range of motion then it is a sign that it is packed up. You can get your mechanic to do the test.

Also keep in mind that mechanics have a habit of swapping this kind  of accessories between cars unless you keep a close eye on them. Hope the one on the engine now is the original part that you bought is. 

Thanks all, I'm planing to visit the garage this week and I will have it tested. The difficult part is this issue only surfaces after driving 50km or so. So to check whether it worked I have to wait till I go for a long drive and its a hassle to go through this on a long drive.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

This is an update and the fix that worked with my idle issue.

I did all what is mentioned below in the same day so I cant pin point to exactly what actually worked, but after doing below the issue is no more,

1. Replaced the TPS with a brand new one.
  2. Gave a separate earth wire to the TPS as we weren't sure whether there was a misconception in the original earth wire for the TPS.
  3. Cleaned the wire harness connectors (there was a bit of oil in the main connector)
  4. Cleaned the entire fuse box to make sure there were no lose connections.
  5. Removed the newly fixed stepper motor and cleaned the entire surface with brake cleaner and fixed it again.

Thanks everyone for the help.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have a issue on my 406 D9 2.0L 16v. It had rough idle,stalling,jerking and surging of idle issues previously. So far I replace the TPS,Stepper motor and the coolant temperature sensor. So now the car is more smooth and no jerking. But idle is fluctuating slightly and car stalls or feels like stalling when try to take off and when reversing. Also car sometimes need to crank bit more to start. What might me causing this? I cannot detect any vacuum leaks also. Thanks in advance

I

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Clean intake, replace air filter.ciean throttle body.

replace spark plugs.

I forgot to mention that I recently did a Tune up including the change of the spark plugs & air filter

Edited by jmzsl

17 hours ago, jmzsl said:

I have a issue on my 406 D9 2.0L 16v. It had rough idle,stalling,jerking and surging of idle issues previously. So far I replace the TPS,Stepper motor and the coolant temperature sensor. So now the car is more smooth and no jerking. But idle is fluctuating slightly and car stalls or feels like stalling when try to take off and when reversing. Also car sometimes need to crank bit more to start. What might me causing this? I cannot detect any vacuum leaks also. Thanks in advance

My first guess is that there's a "dead spot" in your throttle position sensor. Get the sensor checked (simple resistance check throughout it's rotation range, observing sudden changes in resistance). If the sensor is faulty, replace. 

15 minutes ago, Davy said:

My first guess is that there's a "dead spot" in your throttle position sensor. Get the sensor checked (simple resistance check throughout it's rotation range, observing sudden changes in resistance). If the sensor is faulty, replace. 

I have already replaced the Throttle position sensor and after that jerking gone accelerating is much smoother. Now the only problem is minor idle fluctuation and stalling issue. After stopping the car in traffic when I try to move by balancing the clutch rpm suddenly drops to around 200-300 and goes back up to around 1500 rpm or sometimes car stalls

14 hours ago, jmzsl said:

I have already replaced the Throttle position sensor and after that jerking gone accelerating is much smoother. Now the only problem is minor idle fluctuation and stalling issue. After stopping the car in traffic when I try to move by balancing the clutch rpm suddenly drops to around 200-300 and goes back up to around 1500 rpm or sometimes car stalls

Sorry I missed that in your earlier post. Was an ECU reset done after replacing the sensors (i.e was the battery disconnected and reconnected after installing new sensors)? If yes, how many kilometres have you roughly driven since the repair?

Also, was a diagnostic scan done? 

9 hours ago, Davy said:

Sorry I missed that in your earlier post. Was an ECU reset done after replacing the sensors (i.e was the battery disconnected and reconnected after installing new sensors)? If yes, how many kilometres have you roughly driven since the repair?

Also, was a diagnostic scan done? 

ECU reset was done after replacing the parts and after replacing the coolant temp sensor I have driven around 20km's. Other parts I replaced earlier to that so around 200km's.

I didn't do a scan because I live in Kandy and I'm yet to find a garage that do diagnosis scan on Peugeots.