• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maruti Alto or Renault KWID

sathmal

It's tempting to go for a brand new car at that price I know specially when the used cars that you can get for that price is quite old. But please bear in mind the novelty of these cars wear off very soon. compare a 5 year old Indian car and a 5 year old Jap car and you'll see the difference. Spending 2 Mill plus for a very very basic car just doesn't make sense to me. If you are looking for a fairly new-ish Hatchback for that price maybe you can consider a used viva-elite : I know it isn't Jap but it is based on Daihatsu and It's a fairly good car.

BTW has anyone seen the KWID threads on everybody's favorite rubbish forum (you know what I'm talking about)  after reading that thread I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Apparently a KWID owner has compare ride quality to a vezel :unsure: 

6 hours ago, sathmal said:

i need to buy a car around 2 - 2.4 million. thinking about maruti alto or renault kwid. guys need your opinions 

How much a good looking corpse of you and your children/family you ant to keep behind?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, matroska said:

BTW has anyone seen the KWID threads on everybody's favorite rubbish forum (you know what I'm talking about)  after reading that thread I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Apparently a KWID owner has compare ride quality to a vezel :unsure: 

I don't know what they are on about but in terms of handling it has the driving dynamics of a 70's Datsun.

And I sure hope op has already arranged his last will cause he's gonna need it in one of these 

Edited by The Stig

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

I don't know what they are on about but in terms of handling it has the driving dynamics of a 70's Datsun.

And I sure hope op has already arranged his last will cause he's gonna need it in one of these 

I know plenty of 70's Datsun owners who would be offended by that remark! Anyone with a 510 for example would be most displeased.

12 hours ago, sathmal said:

i need to buy a car around 2 - 2.4 million. thinking about maruti alto or renault kwid. guys need your opinions 

For 2 to 2.4mil these are the only cars you are interested in? :unsure:

I can think of much better alternatives

10 hours ago, matroska said:

Hey did you saw that interior review thread there? funny as hell.

thanks for supporting me. I thought on this way, If I buy a old car I must be on workshops. if i will buy new one at least two three years can manage it. so I feel most of they don't like it. thus I need what are the options i can go with my budget. 

21 hours ago, sathmal said:

thanks for supporting me. I thought on this way, If I buy a old car I must be on workshops. if i will buy new one at least two three years can manage it. so I feel most of they don't like it. thus I need what are the options i can go with my budget. 

this is a very common misconception among some. Under that logic everyone driving older cars will be spending their time in garages all the time and there would be no traffic on our roads except for Nanos marutis and hybrids. 

You'll be spending over 2 million : why spend it on a fragile little eggshell that doesn't even have at least the basic options.

Getting an old car is worth it compared to driving a 'new' but very very very basic car with no comfort or safety with a wheezy engine and interior that will start falling apart in a couple of years.

If you're sticking to hatches :

Toyota Passo (2005-2007)

Suzuki Swift/Chevy Cruze (same vehicle) 2004

Honda Fit GD1 (2004)

Viva Elite (2011+)

Then for that price there's a wide selection of really solid sedans.

Just look for a well maintained one and you'll be good to go.

machan let me know what are the options  

The whole notion " If I buy a old car I must be on workshops" is wrong. Most of the time, people who end up in garages are the people who buy old cars which are improperly maintained. Most of the time, these are sold for a bargain price or sold by baiyas (buying and selling types). Many car buyers get fooled by the flashy looks and also by the slightly lower price tag. You will be fine if you spend a little extra to buy a car with proper service history with records and if you buy it from a registered owner who has used it for at least a year.

If you know a trustworthy mechanic, take him with you to inspect the car. If you don't take it to this Car Checks place and get it examined before buying. 

I am sure everyone at AL will agree, unlike the rasthiyaadu kaaraya's forum that Kwid is not a safe vehicle and neither is Alto. We cannot recommend either of those cars. All the Indian Renaults (Kwid, Duster, Logan) are actually cars designed, developed and have their significant components made by Renault's Romanian subsidiary - Dacia. Since its inception, Dacia has been a joke in the world of cars and is notorious for creating cheap deathtraps. 

• Like 4

On 7/11/2016 at 9:42 AM, Crosswind said:

The whole notion " If I buy a old car I must be on workshops" is wrong. Most of the time, people who end up in garages are the people who buy old cars which are improperly maintained. Most of the time, these are sold for a bargain price or sold by baiyas (buying and selling types). Many car buyers get fooled by the flashy looks and also by the slightly lower price tag. You will be fine if you spend a little extra to buy a car with proper service history with records and if you buy it from a registered owner who has used it for at least a year.

If you know a trustworthy mechanic, take him with you to inspect the car. If you don't take it to this Car Checks place and get it examined before buying. 

I am sure everyone at AL will agree, unlike the rasthiyaadu kaaraya's forum that Kwid is not a safe vehicle and neither is Alto. We cannot recommend either of those cars. All the Indian Renaults (Kwid, Duster, Logan) are actually cars designed, developed and have their significant components made by Renault's Romanian subsidiary - Dacia. Since its inception, Dacia has been a joke in the world of cars and is notorious for creating cheap deathtraps. 

Your information on Dacia is somewhat outdated, while your information on the Kwid's design is wrong. The Dacia Logan and the Duster are considered to be quite decent cars in Europe, especially at their price point.

The Kwid has nothing to do with Dacia, it was designed in India itself by a Renault team, headed by a French engineer who was formerly at Dacia.

No disagreement about the safety of the Kwid or the Alto though, both are deathtraps and should be avoided if at all possible.

My shitbox i.e. Starlet was maintained quite well during the 20 years of ownership by the previous owner. It has no problems apart from broken A/C vents, 2 sticky power windows and mushy door handles.

On 7/10/2016 at 11:41 AM, sathmal said:

If you have any doubts why majority of the members in AL don't recommend
buying indian deathtraps; this might give you a good idea. ^_^

http://www.hirunews.lk/sinhala/137728

34 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

If you have any doubts why majority of the members in AL don't recommend
buying indian deathtraps; this might give you a good idea. ^_^

http://www.hirunews.lk/sinhala/137728

phew that looks grisly probably the alto was tossed about after the initial collision.  This version of the Honda in the accident comes with a collision detection/braking system doesn't it?

EDIT : It's called City Active Breaking  and found out that "  this system activated only within 5~30 km/h *" so obviously not applicable here.

@sathmal while JDM/Euro does not make you deathproof i think it gives you a little more survival chance... Personally I'd pick that chance even if it was +0.001 more than having to drive an older car. 

Edited by matroska