• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Accord 2013 as a first Car

Sanders

Hi guys, I've been following this forum for a long time now but I am a new member here. Would love your input on my choice. 

Im hoping to buy my first car and I am not all that concerned with fuel efficiency. a roomy vehicle with a fuel consumption of 8kml or higher would be ideal. Maintenance cost and depreciation would be causes for concern only if they are highly unreasonable. My budget being around 5.5mil I can only afford a Honda fit or a Toyota aqua in the current market, both of which are too compact for my liking. A slightly used Honda Accord 2013-14 packs more power and much more options for a lesser price. How would you guys review the 2013-14 Honda Accord and what other alternative would you recommend? Would appreciate any and all feedback :) cheers

Congrats bro on your independance gained with motoring..

I'd consider my self;f lucky to be able to dispose such an amount for my first car.

Just keep in mind that the first car is not your last.Therefore unless you happen to be the owner of a money tree, I'd spend wisely.Thinking of

1. Insurance - 
Fully comp costs a lot no matter who you get it from.

2.kik-ass stereo upgrade + wheels.(otherwise you'll look like you borrowed you gramp's car):D

3. once you blow this budget you can't be seen on anything less.when you upgrade this one.

cheers

TT

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sanders said:

Hi guys, I've been following this forum for a long time now but I am a new member here. Would love your input on my choice. 

Im hoping to buy my first car and I am not all that concerned with fuel efficiency. a roomy vehicle with a fuel consumption of 8kml or higher would be ideal. Maintenance cost and depreciation would be causes for concern only if they are highly unreasonable. My budget being around 5.5mil I can only afford a Honda fit or a Toyota aqua in the current market, both of which are too compact for my liking. A slightly used Honda Accord 2013-14 packs more power and much more options for a lesser price. How would you guys review the 2013-14 Honda Accord and what other alternative would you recommend? Would appreciate any and all feedback :) cheers

It all depends on how good a driver you are.

If you consider yourself to be someone in-between an L-board and a daily driver, then I would suggest go for a common car which has plenty of body panels and stuff easily available. Use it for about 6 months till get a good hang of driving around in sri lanka and then go for something beautiful like the accord.

The reason is if you get in to an accident with the accord, you might have to have a world wide wait until parts arrive.

However, if you are a pretty good driver, then the above statement is irrelevant.

I must congratulate you on your choice though. You have a good taste. Just don't expect the accord to do 8. 6km/l is more likely (unless its an accord hybrid)

On 2016-07-07 at 9:07 AM, Sanders said:

Wow great choice of first car. Very classy looking. Can someone clarify what the whole Honda Accord Sport designation is?

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

Wow great choice of first car. Very classy looking. Can someone clarify what the whole Honda Accord Sport designation is?

I'm not too familiar with the accord sport but to my knowledge the only notable difference in the sport is the 189hp 2.4L engine and 19inch factory fitted alloys as opposed to the 185hp 16" inch alloys in the standard version. Other differences are mainly cosmetic and on the price tag. Personally feel the accord sport is a bad buy :)

Edited by Sanders
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

It all depends on how good a driver you are.

If you consider yourself to be someone in-between an L-board and a daily driver, then I would suggest go for a common car which has plenty of body panels and stuff easily available. Use it for about 6 months till get a good hang of driving around in sri lanka and then go for something beautiful like the accord.

The reason is if you get in to an accident with the accord, you might have to have a world wide wait until parts arrive.

However, if you are a pretty good driver, then the above statement is irrelevant.

I must congratulate you on your choice though. You have a good taste. Just don't expect the accord to do 8. 6km/l is more likely (unless its an accord hybrid)

Thank you for the compliment :) I've been driving for sometime now but it's only recently I've finally been able to afford my own car. I think I'd be able handle an accord in a fair manner despite the massive dimensions of the car. But as for the fuel economy, that is what prompted me seek advice from you guys, the gurus :D most reviews claim a combined efficiency of 28mpg for the 2013 accord. I know this is far from accurate cause that would be almost 12kml. I was hoping this would at least be true to the extent that It'd do a comfortable 8kml but I gotta say 6kml is a deal breaker :/ I tried calling asking a few owners who were willing to sell but I never got a plausible figure for it. Any idea how I could and where I could get some dependable information? I already tried asking Staffords motor co but they simply resort to vague answers to avoid the question saying all depends on how I drive, traffic density and where I drive lol.

19 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Congrats bro on your independance gained with motoring..

I'd consider my self;f lucky to be able to dispose such an amount for my first car.

Just keep in mind that the first car is not your last.Therefore unless you happen to be the owner of a money tree, I'd spend wisely.Thinking of

1. Insurance - 
Fully comp costs a lot no matter who you get it from.

2.kik-ass stereo upgrade + wheels.(otherwise you'll look like you borrowed you gramp's car):D

3. once you blow this budget you can't be seen on anything less.when you upgrade this one.

cheers

TT

I completely overlooked the insurance costs. Thanks so much! I was hoping for was a low Mileage accord 2013 for roughly 4.5mil without any initial running or any other repair costs. Since my budget is 5.5mil I was hoping the dish the remaining out for a decent insurance policy and save a bit for future maintenance and fuel expenses. Reliability and maintenance of Hondas are completely foreign to me so I'm clueless here. But as long as running and maintenance costs aren't bmw/Land rover bad I would think it'd be manageable. My alternative is a Nissan sylphy but that is a bit pushing my budget 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sanders said:

always found the Teanna stunning. I will look into them both :) Thanks 

I can vouch for the Teana. I've had three generations of them thus far at various times. Great value for money and all three were super stable (and quiet) at highway speeds and above. The only drawback is that its more a comfortable cruiser than a sprinter / performance car. The current car is performing well. The only drawbacks I can share are the crappy H11 lowbeams and a faulty install / bad design by Nissan on the rear chrome strip on the boot that causes it to rust prematurely.

Also I've noted that the front suspension tends to wear out quick / quicker than I would expect on the pev gen cars (no indication of that on the new car so far, but its early days yet) so if you're considering a Teana then check the front suspension out (lower suspension arms & control arms in particular) carefully.

Edited by Kavvz

Im referring to the standard non hybrid 2013-14 2.4-liter CVT. Unfortunately the hybrid is out of my price range. I've been looking into the teanna and i must admit despite the accord being slightly bigger and packed with a few extra options, the Teanna certainly looks a better buy at the moment. Specially in terms of the prevailing market contions. According to most owners i spoke to the teanna is slightly more economical and less costly to maintain comparatively. To be fair though i still couldn't speak to anyone who owns a '13-14 accord :/

On 7/15/2016 at 2:03 PM, Sanders said:

Im referring to the standard non hybrid 2013-14 2.4-liter CVT. Unfortunately the hybrid is out of my price range. I've been looking into the teanna and i must admit despite the accord being slightly bigger and packed with a few extra options, the Teanna certainly looks a better buy at the moment. Specially in terms of the prevailing market contions. According to most owners i spoke to the teanna is slightly more economical and less costly to maintain comparatively. To be fair though i still couldn't speak to anyone who owns a '13-14 accord :/

I think it's very possible there actually aren't any non-hybrid 2013/14 accords on the market. I don't recall the agents even offering it due to the price being high and all the JDM imports seem to have been Hybrids.

Edit: actually I was wrong, the agents did offer it as an import on the permit. Had a 2.0 L motor if i remember right. I don't believe many were sold though.

Edited by Supra_Natural