• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Windows Task Scheduler Does not work

Hi Folks,

I configured the windows task scheduler to automatically run at 12.15am in the morning to 8am in the morning. The program I scheduled was BitTorrent.

However I switched on bitTorrent with the downloads on, and closed it with the task manager and set the task scheduler to start at this configured time automatically. However it doesn't start.

Note that I lock my laptop and will not be opening the laptop until 8am... and i set the 'run whether user is logged on or not' to TRUE.., run with highest priviledges, and also I have put a condition as "/AUTO" in the start program exe file to automatically run it. and also I have set the 'Wake the computer to run this task' to TRUE... but still the task scheduler doesnt switch on the torrent.... anyone knows the root cause for this or to solve this issue?

I use the 'Deluge' bit-torrent client. There is a plugin for that called Scheduler available under 'Preferences' -> 'Plugins'. Enable it and you can do lot of customization on when to start downloading and when to pause, Also you can speed limit at certain time ranges. 

This is what I'm doing to utilize the off-peak data from SLT. 

• Like 1

Why bother with the task scheduler? Use utorrent and schedule the downloads, keep the pc on wake. You can set utorrent to shut down once the downloads are complete. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sharma said:

I use the 'Deluge' bit-torrent client. There is a plugin for that called Scheduler available under 'Preferences' -> 'Plugins'. Enable it and you can do lot of customization on when to start downloading and when to pause, Also you can speed limit at certain time ranges. 

This is what I'm doing to utilize the off-peak data from SLT. 

44 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Why bother with the task scheduler? Use utorrent and schedule the downloads, keep the pc on wake. You can set utorrent to shut down once the downloads are complete. 

37 minutes ago, asrock said:

Windows scheduler was buggy from the beginning. Use bittorrents builtin scheduler works great for me.

Ohhhhhh nice I found the scheduler in bitTorrent too and its working :D

Thanks guys... btw I only lock my PC which means its awake yeah... anyway is there a way I can keep my charge for 6 hours or so without plugging in the charger while the downloads are going on behind the locked PC?

The reason why you couldn't see your BitTorrent running when you scheduled it through Task Scheduler is because you checked "Run whether user is logged in or not". When this is checked, tasks are run only in hidden mode. If you opened up Task Manager, you could have seen your BitTorrent app running at the specified time.

But yeah, using Windows Task Scheduler when there's already a scheduler in the torrent app is a bit overkill. What I usually do is start uTorrent and select "Shut down when downloads are compete".

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Davy said:

The reason why you couldn't see your BitTorrent running when you scheduled it through Task Scheduler is because you checked "Run whether user is logged in or not". When this is checked, tasks are run only in hidden mode. If you opened up Task Manager, you could have seen your BitTorrent app running at the specified time.

But yeah, using Windows Task Scheduler when there's already a scheduler in the torrent app is a bit overkill. What I usually do is start uTorrent and select "Shut down when downloads are compete".

Ahhh right I get it.. thanks davy :)

Ok so what I did was, scheduled to start downloading from 12.01am to 6am from the bitTorrent scheduler. 

I leave office at 5, so I put the PC to sleep mode, and scheduled a windows scheduler at 11.57pm to wake the computer up (Yes enabled sleep timers etc and all and tested it too in the noon to see if it works and it works perfect.. the torrent gets downloaded)... But I remove the plugs from the pc and its running on battery while its sleeping for 7 hours... during that time the pc had run out of battery and shut off itself I think..... because for 3 days none of the downloads had even begun.... so, is there any alternative to keep the battery power full until 12am while its at sleep mode?

6 minutes ago, terrabytetango said:

How did you create a wake up schedule from sleep? the computer is effectively inoperative, there are no active processes during that time.

There is an option called "Wake the Computer to run this task"... you can simply select this checkbox and the pc awakes from sleep... but you have to also specify a task for the PC to do after waking up. as adviced earlier by our folks i didnt want to schedule the torrent from the windows scheduler... i just simply added a command prompt start up and exit at the same time, in order to wake the computer as a task... after that the torrent scheduler should do its downloading...

Did you specify "run whether user is logged on or not"? if so, Utorrent may not work without a user, since settings are saved to and taken from the logged in user's profile. It's been a while since i've dabbled with windows in general as i'm mostly a *NIX user.

1 hour ago, terrabytetango said:

Did you specify "run whether user is logged on or not"? if so, Utorrent may not work without a user, since settings are saved to and taken from the logged in user's profile. It's been a while since i've dabbled with windows in general as i'm mostly a *NIX user.

Yes I selected as 'run whether user is logged on or not'... however I lock the pc and go home.. but even thought its locked, they take my username as 'signed in' yeah... what I think happenning is, from 5 to 12, the power of the battery drains down for the sleeping process and shuts down before 12 isnt it?... its a good 7 hours noh... 

1 minute ago, asrock said:

The hassle you have to go through when you want to download some xxx from your cooperate network :)

Lol not xxx men.... :P I have been watching some europian crime tv series's and its very addictive... the home bandwidth is not enough to download a satisfactory amount of episodes to watch for a week... 

Sleep mode does not drain the battery that much I think. I have a Lenovo T450S from the office, and I always leave it sleeping, even over the weekend, and there's more than enough battery. Check the windows logs to see exactly what happens. You can look for the wake up event and follow what happens from there on.

2 hours ago, terrabytetango said:

Sleep mode does not drain the battery that much I think. I have a Lenovo T450S from the office, and I always leave it sleeping, even over the weekend, and there's more than enough battery. Check the windows logs to see exactly what happens. You can look for the wake up event and follow what happens from there on.

thats exactly what I did... however the last windows wake up time shows as the time i switch on the pc the next morning... and it says scheduler was refused or something by the user/administrator... thats how i came to a conculsion where it might be switching off itself before the scheduled time..the history doesnt show anything either...

On 2016-07-12 at 9:41 AM, PreseaLover said:

thats exactly what I did... however the last windows wake up time shows as the time i switch on the pc the next morning... and it says scheduler was refused or something by the user/administrator... thats how i came to a conculsion where it might be switching off itself before the scheduled time..the history doesnt show anything either...

Why can't you just leave the laptop plugged in at your desk?

3 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

office rule is to remove all the laptop plugs and stuff overnight and switch off power... most of the guys doesnt do that, but I obey company rules

If there are rules against leaving equipment plugged in, surely there must be rules against downloading pirated content using the office network.

Hey PL, you do realise right that I know all the directors at your company quite well?  :D 

Not that I'm going to rat you out, but what you've put in this thread is very incriminating. I understand you're using the bandwidth at night and other related arguments that you could be thinking of. But since none of the people at the top has sanctioned what you do, what you do is wrong.

And don't post stupid shit! 

BTW, the company I used to run, I gave the folks a 5 day window before the end of the month to download at night whatever they wanted. One machine was used and one guy coordinated the downloading. So everybody could request what they wanted, everybody knew what's being downloaded and most of all, it stopped people from downloading the same thing over and over again and during the middle of the month. 

Think of something like that. 

47 minutes ago, Davy said:

If there are rules against leaving equipment plugged in, surely there must be rules against downloading pirated content using the office network.

46 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Hey PL, you do realise right that I know all the directors at your company quite well?  :D 

Not that I'm going to rat you out, but what you've put in this thread is very incriminating. I understand you're using the bandwidth at night and other related arguments that you could be thinking of. But since none of the people at the top has sanctioned what you do, what you do is wrong.

And don't post stupid shit! 

BTW, the company I used to run, I gave the folks a 5 day window before the end of the month to download at night whatever they wanted. One machine was used and one guy coordinated the downloading. So everybody could request what they wanted, everybody knew what's being downloaded and most of all, it stopped people from downloading the same thing over and over again and during the middle of the month. 

Think of something like that. 

I know guys, I already took permission to download at off peak hours and that's why I do so... :)

and our bandwidth is never being used during 12-8am for any office work and only the downloading guys use it.. so yeah, even they have taken permission already and doing so.. :)

however anyway since the task scheduler didn't work for me since my laptop dies before it can work, I gave up the downloading idea few days back...

Edited by PreseaLover

24 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

I know guys, I already took permission to download at off peak hours and that's why I do so... :)

and our bandwidth is never being used during 12-8am for any office work and only the downloading guys use it.. so yeah, even they have taken permission already and doing so.. :)

however anyway since the task scheduler didn't work for me since my laptop dies before it can work, I gave up the downloading idea few days back...

Look man, don't want to know and honestly, I don't care. Not my bandwidth anyway. But do think stuff through before you post it.

The industry you and I work is very tightly knitted. People talk. Perceptions about you when you're at the early/middle stages of your career matters a lot when you go up the ladder. So don't screw up! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Look man, don't want to know and honestly, I don't care. Not my bandwidth anyway. But do think stuff through before you post it.

The industry you and I work is very tightly knitted. People talk. Perceptions about you when you're at the early/middle stages of your career matters a lot when you go up the ladder. So don't screw up! 

hmmm i didn't think much of it before posting this mate.. but you are right.. thanks for the advice.. really appreciate it :)