• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rat Trap Cage (Without Killing)

twin scroll turbo

Question

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing good. I know this is not directly related to vehicles but I'm sure there are lot of people who are waiting for a possible solution for this.

The problem is rats. And yeah some of you may laugh at me now :), I don't want to kill them. After parking my car some rats are coming inside the vehicle sometimes eat out the seat cushions and also wiring. So far it was very minor and I fixed it. But now it is a headache for me to park the car as I know they will get on to the vehicle and ruin it. So actually I park somewhere else. But noticed some rats there too.

Also I know there are stuff in the market like the sticky pads etc etc saying that the rat wont get killed but actually he will die as you cant remove him once he is stuck. So he will live forever with the pad and die of starvation or from a predator. Also one told me that nowadays rats are very intelligent and he had this one incident where the rat put some cloth parts on to the sticky pad to get through without getting stuck. :D crazy ha? true story. May be that rat saw the other rat getting trapped and learnt from it. So any solution ending up killing them directly or indirectly wont help with me.

I know in the old days there were cage traps where you put something in the cage to eat and when the rat comes in the cage door will close automatically. Then you can release it to the wild. Do you know if these are still available today and where to buy? Or any other suggestion for this problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you so much

We use these traps regularly since both my mom and the wifey are against killing them. It's quite effective these cages are available at regular hardware shops. Two things to consider though

1. Beware when handling the cage. The trapped rats are frantic and may bite you.

2. Make sure you release them in unpopulated areas. Or they will become someone else's problem

I have 3 cats watching over the house and the garage, 24x7.

I'm yet to see a rat anywhere near the house or garage, infact I think the last time I saw a rat is in 2015. :sport-smiley-004:

Yeeah Right! I have 3 cats at home and they run for their lives when they see a rat :P

• Like 2

I have 3 cats watching over the house and the garage, 24x7.

I'm yet to see a rat anywhere near the house or garage, infact I think the last time I saw a rat is in 2015. :sport-smiley-004:

A couple of years ago there was this sleek jet black neighborhood cat with who we had a sort of 'contract' with. He would drop by for a meal and afterwards he would set about hunting for rats and even cockroaches. As time went by he became corpulent and lazy, and eventually stopped getting rid of rats or cockroaches altogether and just sat in a corner eating and burping and chasing the odd female... reminded me of a typical Sri Lankan government servant (no offence)

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

@trinity

Thank you very much. I bought few today thanks to you :)

@matroska

Thank you very much. Very valuable advice indeed. Yes I will only release them in unpopulated areas.

@Jor-el

He he, sounds like a cat fortress for rats. :) Thanks so much for your comment. Yes I did have cats in the past. They did a very good job in those days. We had loads of rats and cats needed only couple of weeks. he he :) And then we got a dog and the funny thing is he took over the role. Believe me he is a good rat hunter as equally as a cat. He usually keeps the rats he hunted near him for us to witness in the morning. J But the problem is we put him to the front garden and garage area only at night time. Day time we keep him in the back of the house. So when the car is parked rats go inside the vehicle and stay there. So the dog doesn’t get an opportunity.

@iRage

Thank you for your comment. Thing is I can’t keep the dog near the garage in day time. He always wants to explore more land and it’s very hard to catch him once he is out. So we only release him to the garage are after parking cars and after locking the gate. Rats go inside the vehicle in between.

@GT-R

He he, must be the new generation of cats, instead of rats, imouse(ipod) :) :) Thanks for the comment.

@matroska,

He he, thanks again. Nice comment which is a true story. May be he got retired or was planning for retirement. :)

@asrock

He he, indeed. Thanks for commenting.

I was very impressed to see so many interesting comments for this topic. Thank you all so much for taking your valuable time to help me out. Like a brother hood.

Edited by twin scroll turbo

guys my problem is little different... actually your solution is my problem... our cat use to sleep on my car,most of time on roof and bonnet , there is small scratch already on the fender, seems i need a Cat Trap Cage :speechless-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-004:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

guys my problem is little different... actually your solution is my problem... our cat use to sleep on my car,most of time on roof and bonnet , there is small scratch already on the fender, seems i need a Cat Trap Cage :speechless-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-004:

I have the same problem, I go crazy when he does that after half a day of washing and waxing. Argh!!!

• Like 1

I have the same problem, I go crazy when he does that after half a day of washing and waxing. Argh!!!

same here... this is becoming a little headache now... it seems last night she took her boyfriend to the roof too... now no CAT Trap Cage (Without Killing)... i need a Gun.... :violent-smiley-027::violent-smiley-027::violent-smiley-027::violent-smiley-027:

Ha..ha...then put a one side opened box..cat will sleep in it

now i'm considering that tooo....

Try a piece of "waraka" as the bait for the cage... worked all the time.

dry fish (even cheese) did not work well for me.

and true, the cage is very effective .

keep a cage in the car too.