• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Converting Manual Doors To Power Shutters

Chathurike

hi im planing to convert my manual doors to power shutters. is it possible if i buy 4 power doors and replace the mechanic units and door boards to my doors? is there any one who done this? is there any extra work than wiring?

im guessing by your profile pic that its a lancer which came without powershutters ryt ?. yes you can , its just a matter of plugging in the connectors coz the wiring would already be there . not rocket science so if you know your way around the car i think it can be easily done at home even .

Hi, saw your post in the morning but could not find time to reply. Having a busy day today so please forgive me for not going in to more details with my answer. But feel free to ask any question if you find the following details are inadequate for you to decide.

My car also came with winder windows and about one and half years back i managed to get the doors with power windows which I've been wanted to buy since the day i bought my car.

I too considered swapping just the internals and door cards to avoid the cost on the painting if the entire set of doors were changed as a whole. But finally i changed the doors instead of tampering with the internals of the doors and all. The plus side i had was the doors i bought were all white and hence painting the insides were not required.

Mind you, if you are going to swap parts, its not an easy task. Its bit messy. All of these parts are located in a very compact spaces and are very difficult to reach them to remove. I believe you have to remove the Glass as well, I'm not sure about this. Please check it twice before committing. And make sure that the correct motor is installed to the correct door. You cant install the motor of the passenger side doors to the driver side doors.

And most importantly if you get the wiring messed up while doing so, it might cost you the motor or the switch or both. These parts are very difficult to source and if found, they are bloody expensive. So be mindful on that.

All the wiring are there, basically its plug & play. I'm unable to provide more info on this as I was too involved with a personal matter at the time when the car was kept at the paint shop for changing doors and all, I didnt even went there to check on it until they fixed and painted everything. I asked them to do the necessary electrical work related to the installation and frankly did not asked what they did when i got the car back (Yes i know, i was being an idiot back then, but the car was not the priority for me in those days.)

The only down side i'm having with the new doors are that door cards of my old doors were in immaculate condition and were as good as brand new where as the new ones are having scratches here and there and a slight discoloration of the plastic that is visible for a sharp eye.

Best of luck with your endeavor. Please do keep us updated.

Cheers!

• Like 5

If you don't mind not retaining the original look i think sunlanka, Rexton motors and some other shops in Darley road do the generic conversation.

Edited by The Stig

Power shutter conversion can be done.

But, I'm not sure whether it is a DIY one.

Because, inside the door panel it involves sometimes welding works (with painting of course) too.

In addition to this, wiring is a messy part as it requires dedicated wires to provide power to the motor and to the control switch in the driver-side door panel (if you want).

As crosswind mentioned it is possible to buy power shutter assembly kits from online.

But, its better to get it done professionally.

Here's the easy way out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Style-Universal-Power-Window-Kit-for-any-12V-Vehicles-2-Doors-Conversion-Kit-/271838513450?hash=item3f4ad6892a:g:ILkAAOSw3ydVwrW8&vxp=mtr

This option is only for someone who likes to have power windows as convenience. Not for someone who's concerned about 'market value'.

Not worth it machang, An entire door costs just about Rs.7,500/-. And that way you retain the originality of the car as well.

When I bought my car, it had a winding doors.

I was in your same mindset to do the power shutter conversion.

But I couldn't do so due to time constraint and material/professional sourcing.

Now, I find winding doors better than power shutter, because of no battery draining, can raise the shutter even when the car is switched off.

In addition to this, I suggest you to refer the following threads at AL.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13755-power-shutter-winder-repairreplace/?hl=%2Bpower+%2Bshutter

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13460-converting-to-power-shutters/?hl=%2Bpower+%2Bshutter#entry202367

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/12724-how-to-fix-new-power-shutter-unit/#entry188373

The information in it may obsolete now, do let us update the current status.

Thanks.

Edited by gnaveendra

Just an idea . Could the OP fix some sort of generic power window conversion mechanism and install 4 door cards from a powershutter version ? finding 4 door cards with power shutter switched would be easier than finding 4 whole doors with powershutters right ?

Just an idea . Could the OP fix some sort of generic power window conversion mechanism and install 4 door cards from a powershutter version ? finding 4 door cards with power shutter switched would be easier than finding 4 whole doors with powershutters right ?

Nope. no one will sell you just the door cards and switches. And even if you want to find a switch, that too is difficult than finding an entire door and most of the time the switch costs the same as the whole door.

Nope. no one will sell you just the door cards and switches. And even if you want to find a switch, that too is difficult than finding an entire door and most of the time the switch costs the same as the whole door.

My bad . didnt know that . thought that it would be easier . :)

Trinity, if i'm correct you can't fix original power shutter switch - specially the master - to the pre-face lift version. it does not have enough space fix the switch. hence i don't think even door frame is having required slots to fix screws and all. Further used master switch itself cost you around 12K and hard to find.

And yes as Trinity said, doors can be sourced comparatively easy if you are living around Colombo. i would suggest you to swap doors if you really want to convert from manual to power doors.

When I bought my car, it had a winding doors.

I was in your same mindset to do the power shutter conversion.

But I couldn't do so due to time constraint and material/professional sourcing.

Now, I find winding doors better than power shutter, because of no battery draining, can raise the shutter even when the car is switched off.

You can do it with the remote key in most Euros. Even Geelys have the option of raising and lowering shutters with the remote key.

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, Chathurike said:

i got to duel power side mirrors as well. does any one know where the OEM retract switch locate?

Wow that's great. From where did you get them and how much did they cost you?

here is the switch. ?

image.jpeg

Edited by trinity

• 2 weeks later...

i got them from kandy.C*lanika spare parts shop in gatambe. got it for 50k with nickel door handles, duel power side mirrors and door visors. think it was  a good deal and the door farms are upto sale. good for accident repairs. but still i couldn't find the side mirror switch. any place to buy?

7 hours ago, Chathurike said:

i got them from kandy.C*lanika spare parts shop in gatambe. got it for 50k with nickel door handles, duel power side mirrors and door visors. think it was  a good deal and the door farms are upto sale. good for accident repairs. but still i couldn't find the side mirror switch. any place to buy?

Have you tried eBay, Amayama or Partsouq?

The switch should be a common part that comes on other Mitsubishis (Galant, Pajero etc.) In fact, the switch on the Lancer EX is also the same one on the CS externally. Finding one that has the retract button will be a bit of a challenge though, cause I think that only came in the Touring version of the CS.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 3:35 AM, Chathurike said:

Stumbled upon an image with the part you're looking for while I was browsing through an Australian Lancer forum. Here's the part number. You should be able to locate this on eBay or Amayama or any other parts site.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OE-MR951187-Rear-View-Power-Mirror-Switch-Folding-fit-Mitsubishi-2004-Endeavor-/112030087639?hash=item1a158379d7:g:sikAAOSw-4BXYIfz

A bit pricey though.

1322693953_21.jpg

Edited by Davy

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2016 at 10:44 AM, Davy said:

Stumbled upon an image with the part you're looking for while I was browsing through an Australian Lancer forum. Here's the part number. You should be able to locate this on eBay or Amayama or any other parts site.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OE-MR951187-Rear-View-Power-Mirror-Switch-Folding-fit-Mitsubishi-2004-Endeavor-/112030087639?hash=item1a158379d7:g:sikAAOSw-4BXYIfz

A bit pricey though.

1322693953_21.jpg

thnx mate. i will try

• 10 months later...