• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Power To Weight Ration & Wheel Weight

dilan_randika

Question

6 answers to this question

hi,

does car power to weight ratio take wheel weight in to account?

i mean, alloys are claimed to be less weight to steel wheel. doesn't alloying car affect to original manufacture weight-to-power ratio?

Not sure if its counted but increasing the wheel size reduces acceleration

decreasing the weight at wheels would probably increase performance . but then how the wheels are made also matters ryt ? like there can be 2 alloys with the same weight but if on one alloy most of the weight is concentrated nearer the hub and on the other alloy if most of the weight is nearer to the edge although both wheels are of equal overall weight when driven would make the alloy with the weight centered on the hub to be better at handling, acceleration and deceleration coz they are considered as rotating masses .
So if you'r considering to upgrade the car performance by using lighter alloys the design of the alloys plays a big role coz the design determines how the weight of that wheel is mostly distributed and also the weight of tyres come into this equation too .

Yes the weight of the entire vehicle (including wheels) is considered when calculating power-to-weight ratio. And yes, alloy wheels are manufactured using lighter material, so the total weight of the vehicle usually decreases if steel rims are substituted with alloys. This means the power-to-weight ratio increases.

What exactly is your concern?

• Like 1

Yes the weight of the entire vehicle (including wheels) is considered when calculating power-to-weight ratio. And yes, alloy wheels are manufactured using lighter material, so the total weight of the vehicle usually decreases if steel rims are substituted with alloys. This means the power-to-weight ratio increases.

What exactly is your concern?

Thnx Davy,

Ya, so by doing this, we are altering manufactured original power-weight ratio so that fuel efficiency, safety etc. may be get affected right?

Thnx Davy,

Ya, so by doing this, we are altering manufactured original power-weight ratio so that fuel efficiency, safety etc. may be get affected right?

What are you trying to gain ? Economy or performance?

Even if there is a benefit you won't get it from putting cheap Taiwan alloys which will weight more. If you buy good quality stuff they will set you back around atleast 50k so what ever fuel economy you gain will be offset by the cost of the alloys.

• Like 1

Thnx Davy,

Theoretically it should. But these subtle changes wouldn't affect the fuel figures drastically if that is whats your main concern. But you might be benefited from other departments like Handling, reduction of road noise, looks & etc..

My experience with changing manufacturer specifications is this.

I have added considerable amount of things to the car that definitely added more weight to it. Four new doors with power windows, Full body kit(original) with a spoiler, Bigger wheels( This one is a weight reduction though), wider tires, a sub woofer, an amp, two layers of carpeting and I too have gained weight about 20 kilos.. :P. The car did 10kmpl in city limits back when i bought it in 2009 (it did not have any of the above) 110,000kms later with all those additions it still does 10kmpl in city limits. Maybe the fuel figures has gone down to 10.25 from 10.75, that i have no way of confirming. But this is the practical case when it comes to things like this.

Edited by trinity
  • Like 1