• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mg 6 Turbo Petrol

fiat fan

What are your thoughts on the MG 6 1800cc Turbo Petrol?

It has so many damn options that I think a jap of similar category would look 1980ish..

And the ride is super awesome. God that power.And its a manual,which is fabulous.

It has a 2 year or 60,000km warranty from bumper to bumper.

Only thing pulling me back is its made in china and thailand. But the finishing is superb. Having used many euros, I can feel this also has the same feel to it in many ways.

Please give me ur advice for me ro take a decision. Thanx...

Oh its 6.3 million.

Edited by fiat fan

I'm glad if I could help more since this is not popular in Sri Lanka yet. But according to the reviews it's a good mid sized sedan with decent handling and space. Looks good too. Many have complained about the cheap materials used for the interior. So I guess you went to the agents and they said that they don't bring down the UK assembled one.

• Like 1

A car made in china for 6.3ml ?? not sure thats a good idea

Actually its 5.3 for the chinese made car.it has way more options than the thai,but it comes in manual only. Oh and the thai car has E parking break. The china one has the regular handbreak lever..

I'm glad if I could help more since this is not popular in Sri Lanka yet. But according to the reviews it's a good mid sized sedan with decent handling and space. Looks good too. Many have complained about the cheap materials used for the interior. So I guess you went to the agents and they said that they don't bring down the UK assembled one.

Thanx mchn. Yeah I read and watched all them videos and reviews. To be honest the material quality is not that bad. Comparing it with some japs and indian cars, the stuff on these are much better. Yes dude. The ride and handling is fab. And the pickup is mind shaking.. The engine note is in my words Super...

Looks great :smilie_liebe9:

Thanx man. Yes the car looks so sexy. The white is really dashing,with the sunroof visible from front.people on the road were staring like “wtf is that?that is so hot“ lol

• Thanks 1

Ferrarif50 - I did think like that. But you can feel its not built in England as it used to be. There are minor finishing errors that have to be modified by the user.eg- flimsy viper arms...

Edited by fiat fan

Actually its 5.3 for the chinese made car.it has way more options than the thai,but it comes in manual only. Oh and the thai car has E parking break. The china one has the regular handbreak lever.. Thanx mchn. Yeah I read and watched all them videos and reviews. To be honest the material quality is not that bad. Comparing it with some japs and indian cars, the stuff on these are much better. Yes dude. The ride and handling is fab. And the pickup is mind shaking.. The engine note is in my words Super... Thanx man. Yes the car looks so sexy. The white is really dashing,with the sunroof visible from front.people on the road were staring like “wtf is that?that is so hot“ lol

Having driven a few of these "MG"s I must say I wasn't anywhere near as impressed as you seem to have been. The plastics inside are low rent and any half way decent Jap car (like say a Mazda 3) is miles better in terms of both feel and assembly quality.

I agree that the drive was quite good, the car has a decent and responsive chassis and a reasonably strong engine. However if you consider the acceleration "mind shaking" I must disagree. To me it felt just above average, with a bit of mid range shove that trailed off towards the top end. All in all it felt like a not quite there yet imitation of the VW-Audi 1.8 Turbo from the late 90s/2000s.

end of the day, It's a MG. It's just assembled in china.

No machang it's not actually an MG, as in it has no direct link of any kind to the UK company of old. The brand was bought by a bunch of chinese and slapped on to these cars which are thrown together in China. Even the "UK manufactured" cars are only assembled in the UK with all the major components coming from china (similar to Micro's "Sri Lankan Manufacturing")

Edited by Supra_Natural

No machang it's not actually an MG, as in it has no direct link of any kind to the UK company of old. The brand was bought by a bunch of chinese and slapped on to these cars which are thrown together in China. Even the "UK manufactured" cars are only assembled in the UK with all the major components coming from china (similar to Micro's "Sri Lankan Manufacturing")

Oh my bad. :) didn't know that actually.

Very sad to hear that, loved the MGB and MG RV8.

I doubt it that Quality has been so deteriorated after Chinese bought it,that its no better than a Chinese cherry Q now. There should be still some British folks in engineering,design. At least the chief designer is British acc. to Wikipedia.Volvo,Jaguar,Rover are also chinese,indian owned now. But we have no seen a quality drop to their owners levels.MGs could be a different calibre when it comes to handling,power compared to German cars. If I was buying brand new,I would still choose this over Mazda 3 because of looks and space. The interior material should last at least 3years,Imo.

Edited by RViji

I doubt it that Quality has been so deteriorated after Chinese bought it,that its no better than a Chinese cherry Q now. There should be still some British folks in engineering,design. At least the chief designer is British acc. to Wikipedia.Volvo,Jaguar,Rover are also chinese,indian owned now. But we have no seen a quality drop to their owners levels.MGs could be a different calibre when it comes to handling,power compared to German cars. If I was buying brand new,I would still choose this over Mazda 3 because of looks and space. The interior material should last at least 3years,Imo.

And interior material lasting 3 years is enough? in 2016??

Nanjing bought the MG BRAND NAME. They didn't buy any technology from MG.

Geely bought Volvo and its technology, So did Tata (Rover, Jaguar), Mahindra (Ssangyong), Proton (Lotus) etc. There's a difference in buying a brand name rights and buying a company.

The way Chinese operate is they hire white people for key customer facing positions. Its the Chinese who make all the decisions and keep the non-chinese guys as puppets. Rent-a-white-guy is a very common phenomenon in China. In fact, there are white freelancers in China whos only job is to appear in meetings to impress customers. I know this well cos I've worked for the Chinese in the past.

• Like 4

Nanjing bought the MG BRAND NAME. They didn't buy any technology from MG.

Geely bought Volvo and its technology, So did Tata (Rover, Jaguar), Mahindra (Ssangyong), Proton (Lotus) etc. There's a difference in buying a brand name rights and buying a company.

The way Chinese operate is they hire white people for key customer facing positions. Its the Chinese who make all the decisions and keep the non-chinese guys as puppets. Rent-a-white-guy is a very common phenomenon in China. In fact, there are white freelancers in China whos only job is to appear in meetings to impress customers. I know this well cos I've worked for the Chinese in the past.

To add to what Crosswind said, the MG brand in itself hasn't made a car of it's own in a looong time, well over 40 years in fact. The last time MG badged cars were around (in the early 2000s), they were badge jobs on rovers and anyway those have no relationship to this current "MG".

Basically this "MG" shares nothing with the MG company of old, other than the badge. It's basically a chinese car that has draped itself in the union flag.

If independent internet reviews from UK are right ,the MG6 was designed and developed in UK, parts made in China,and the UK models are assembled in UK. You should not forget that even for 100% Chinese cars,the important parts like injector,fuel pump, electronics and software still come from 1st world companies like Bosch,Denso,Conti,Hitachi,Delphi.. If you plan to sell after 2years, there is no need to worry about interior material,Imo. But I would definitely make a test drive,before buying even the brand new.

Edited by RViji

If independent internet reviews from UK are right ,the MG6 was designed and developed in UK, parts made in China,and the UK models are assembled in UK. You should not forget that even for 100% Chinese cars,the important parts like injector,fuel pump, electronics and software still come from 1st world companies like Bosch,Denso,Conti,Hitachi,Delphi.. If you plan to sell after 2years, there is no need to worry about interior material,Imo. But I would definitely make a test drive,before buying even the brand new.

You are missing the point here.

Peugeot 408 is designed in France and manufactured in China (version that comes to Sri Lanka is assembled by Naza in Malaysia). BUT it is still quality assured by Peugeot. Even if it is made in China, it still has to follow EU and France laws and if there are any serious issues with the car, Peugeot risks a lot to lose. Same with the brands you mentioned.

On the other hand, MG6 maybe 'designed and developed' in the UK but Nanjing is still a Chinese company which could be nothing more than a fly-by-night operation which is just out there to make some quick buck on a brand which has had a glorious past. What's interesting is that your lline of thought is also similar to a fly-by-night business. 'I'm chucking the car after 2 years so who cares anyway?'... so you may not understand the point.

@Jor-El - agent for MG is Unit#d Mot#rs

• Like 2

These are cars where people put their lives in,not cheap chinese phones. MG or whoever the owners will still be in deep trouble if a car they sell in UK causes some deaths or injuries due to design problems. Money minded Chinese would be more worried about having to pay huge fines,when thinking about their initial investment,and would try their best to avoid such a scenario. Unless the Lankan version has big deviations from the UK version,I still don't get why we should be too worried. Is the diesel also offered? It seems the petrol is discontinued in the UK since 2016 models,due to high fuel emissions.

Edited by RViji

These are cars where people put their lives in,not cheap chinese phones. MG or whoever the owners will still be in deep trouble if a car they sell in UK causes some deaths or injuries due to design problems. Money minded Chinese would be more worried about having to pay huge fines,when thinking about their initial investment,and would try their best to avoid such a scenario. Unless the Lankan version has big deviations from the UK version,I still don't get why we should be too worried. Is the diesel also offered? It seems the petrol is discontinued in the UK since 2016 models,due to high fuel emissions.

Haiyo salli...

Like I said earlier, I worked with the Chinese for like 4 years. They don't think beyond the next meal. So fines, reputation etc. don't mean $hit to them. If something seriously goes wrong with it, they will pull the MG6 out of UK and sell the exact same car a month later, under Triumph or some other defunct brand name.

And do you think the owners of Nanjing (apparently its the Chinese Government, according to Wikipedia) falls under the jurisdiction of British/EU law?

• Like 1

You only have experienced how Chinese do business with Sri Lanka,I am not surprised by looking at the quality of some of their projects with no regards for safety and regulations. When they do business in first world countries, they are different. There are hundreds of regulations (for a car,NCAP rating and fuel emissions Euro6 norms),which must be adhered to before even they bring it to the market. They have to spend a lot of money to get the conformity tests done and passed. Otherwise the MG6 would have never been allowed into the UK market.

The fact that the petrol version is now discontinued in the latest model change due to high fuel emissions nullifies your argument that Chinese don't give a sh!t about local laws of the (first world)countries they sell to!

Edited by RViji

Are you sure they didn't buy the technology? They still make the Rover 75 clone. The MG 260 ZT (which is based on the Rover 75) owners group have done at least one group buy of the chinese version's tail lights because they look better than the stock ones.

Well reading through this . I remembered the nomad jeep . Made a grand entry and people bought it for a grand price too . Now the chinese company of nomad is closed and even the agents who bought down those vehicles cannot provide spareparts for those since the main company is closed.

It would be difficult to make a Chinese car good enough for the EU market specifications if they only bought MG badge without technology. Nomad is a bit different,because it was not made for any developed country market,which explains the technical issues.