• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vibration On Radiator/ac Fan

LancerL

Question

Hi Experts

Need advice on a small thing.

Today on my way home I observed I get a vibration on my Steering wheel, seat and legs when A/C Fan kicks up, initially I thought it's something to do with A/C, but to trace the issue I drive few Kms without A/C and found that same happens when radiator fan start running.

So what makes vibration is the radiator which both fans are fixed.

Can I know how the radiator connects to the car body? is it nut/bolt or does that has rubber mounts like engine mounts?

Whats the best approach to find the root cause?

Anyone of you ever experienced similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by LancerL

15 answers to this question

Today I went to an electrician, once removing the fan assembly, the root cause was not with the bearing, somebody has repaired the motor earlier and the makabass has not properly tighten the nut that fan blade fix in to the motor's armature shaft.

since there was play, it has developed by time and causing a vibration when running.

It was not in a condition to tight up as the thread have gone halfway, and the motor also giving some noise when rotating (Could be due to earlier repair).

So decided to replace with a recon one.

Visited several recon shops to find the exact match and ended up in T*aI*yo Mount lavinia who quoted Rs. 2,900-/ which was damn reasonable as other places quoted from 4,500 to 3,000.

Labour cost was Rs. 1,000/- which was way too high for the job as it was just a simple removal, which even my self could manage at home.

Now there is no vibration when fan running and I would here that nice wind waving noise.... which is so nice to hear.

Thanks guys for prompt reply's and guidance given.

Edited by LancerL
  • Like 1

I don't see how a radiator issue could cause vibration as you mentioned. Or, is it the other way around that the radiator also vibrates with the rest of the car? Does the vibration start a a specific speed? If so most likely a wheel balance/alignment issue

• Like 1

Hi Experts

Today on my way home I observed I get a vibration on my Steering wheel, seat and legs when A/C Fan kicks up, initially I thought it's something to do with A/C, but to trace the issue I drive few Kms without A/C and found that same happens when radiator fan start running.

Can I know how the radiator connects to the car body? is it nut/bolt or does that has rubber mounts like engine mounts?

Thanks in advance.

The fans are fixed to the radiator itself with small rubber bushes and the radiator is fixed to the car with another set of rubber mounts .

Fans usually dont make that much of a vibration unless the fan blades are broken or something . did you check if both the fans are not missing any blades ?

• Like 1

I don't see how a radiator issue could cause vibration as you mentioned. Or, is it the other way around that the radiator also vibrates with the rest of the car? Does the vibration start a a specific speed? If so most likely a wheel balance/alignment issue

Not really, same thing happens when car not running too. No RPM relationship too.

It is just that I feel the vibration when Radiator fan start running and goes away when it stops.

The fans are fixed to the radiator itself with small rubber bushes and the radiator is fixed to the car with another set of rubber mounts .

Fans usually dont make that much of a vibration unless the fan blades are broken or something . did you check if both the fans are not missing any blades ?

As I can remember no blade was missing. What I also guess is a missing or damaged rubber mount.

Hi Experts

Thanks in advance.

Hi LancerL

I've had the exact same issue with my previous lancer.. And found the root cause by myself. It was due to the radiator fan. Just perform following steps to identify the exact issue:

1. Open the bonnet

2. Start the car

3. Rev it or keep it running for a while till it gets warm up and radiator fan starts working

4. Once it does go near engine compartment and monitor how radiator fan works

Mine had "bakalayak" the fan wings and everything was fine, but when it rotates bakal gagaha weda kare.. That's what was causing the vibration.. However I never replaced it since i didnt have any issue with cooling down the engine (even my mechanic told since its working properly and no heating issues, use till it's no longer working... unless i wanna spend money on a recon fan just bcz of the vibration..) however used the car for like almost 2+ years, never had an overheating issue or anything (it did work perfectly when i sold mine as well )

Since ur symtoms are more similar to mine, that could be the issue. Do have a look and keep us posted (as per my mechanic if u have a bakale, then cant do anything other than replacing it (may be someother fans do have a repair kit to fix it)

• Like 2

As I can remember no blade was missing. What I also guess is a missing or damaged rubber mount.

This is the exact view of it. Fans directly connected and no mounts on it, but radiator has 4 mounts to fix to engine bay.

http://autoparts.beforward.jp/detail/Cooling-Components/Radiators/PASKU211672/

117,000KM

It is FIT Aria 7 speed CVT Triptronic.

mmmm.. ok.. My City is almost close to 128000km.. No sign of such radiator fan vibration, except for the gear box issue.. hmmmm

• Like 1

Check if the fan is wobbly . Could be that the fan bearings are worn out and causing the vibration .

Yesterday I check and it exactly what you told. when I hold the two wings and shake that had a little play. So I guess the internal bearing have gone.

Any Idea on reaping place for this ?

If repairing not possible, is that motor replacement possible rather whole thing? and rough cost for a new one.

Yesterday I check and it exactly what you told. when I hold the two wings and shake that had a little play. So I guess the internal bearing have gone.

Any Idea on reaping place for this ?

If repairing not possible, is that motor replacement possible rather whole thing? and rough cost for a new one.

Yep . take it to an automobile electrician . there are some types of fans that can be serviced but most new ones come as a complete sealed unit .That said . if you dont like spending much money there are some redneck electricians who cut and chop these motors to take them apart and replace the worn out bearings. mind you that this method can sometimes crack the magnets inside the motor so is not a guaranteed method and you run the risk of the fan falling to pieces while on the road since they cannot be refitted correctly .

If its a motor that can be taken apart then its a simple case of finding the correct bearings which may cost around 800-1000rs

If bearing replacement is not possible those motors can easily be found in recon shops . would cost somewhere around 8000 for a recon motor and yes the motor can be removed from the whole housing . but then most recon part shops sell the fan motors with the blade and the housing included .

• Like 2

Looks like i was correct too .. happy hunting.. If you need i'll give my mechanics no, he usually have stocks with him (all sort of cars recon fans). If he doesn't he will get one for you.. PM me if you need further details.

• Like 1

Looks like i was correct too .. happy hunting.. If you need i'll give my mechanics no, he usually have stocks with him (all sort of cars recon fans). If he doesn't he will get one for you.. PM me if you need further details.

Yah you too were correct! missed to MultiQuote machan..

Sure will PM you.

• Like 1