• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Trailers For Carrying Extra Goods With A Car

RViji

For occasionally carrying more goods without upgrading their daily use vehicle,

Trailers are very popular among European /American car drivers going for family vacation etc..

Anyone has experience using a trailer for a car in Sri Lanka? Is there a place to find a second hand imported one? Or it's possible to build one with used car parts? What about brakes which are safe for travelling about 100kmph?

Ever tried reversing with a trailer?

If you answered yes, what vehicle do you intend to pull the trailer with? Does it have a tow-hitch?'

hvaent seen any for sale. And most of them are custom-built.

As there are no standards for trailers/electrical systems here,you might end up building one.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Ever tried reversing with a trailer?

If you answered yes, what vehicle do you intend to pull the trailer with? Does it have a toe-hitch?

Not only reversing, we need to pay more attention in bends and roundabout too. Still can remember the difficulties I faced, once try to drive a tractor :huh:. I never thought reversing a tractor was that much different & difficult before try it.

Also what are the legal issues need to consider while using a trailer ?

Finally, tuk-tuk guys and bikers behavior when we pulling a trailer.

• Like 1

Its hard to drive a trailer here, unless you plan driving on open roads. There'll be a bunch of people who'll end up honking you for no reason. Changing lanes and making turns at junctions would also be somewhat difficult as the people who are willing to give way are reducing exponentially.

Doesn't a double cab suffice your needs?

Its hard to drive a trailer here, unless you plan driving on open roads. There'll be a bunch of people who'll end up honking you for no reason. Changing lanes and making turns at junctions would also be somewhat difficult as the people who are willing to give way are reducing exponentially.

Doesn't a double cab suffice your needs?

Not only reversing, we need to pay more attention in bends and roundabout too. Still can remember the difficulties I faced, once try to drive a tractor :huh:. I never thought reversing a tractor was that much different & difficult before try it.

Also what are the legal issues need to consider while using a trailer ?

Finally, tuk-tuk guys and bikers behavior when we pulling a trailer.

Having said that; there's plenty of tractors (agricultural full size tractors as well as kubota hand tractors) that ply on rural roads / outstation roads with trailers and with no issues at all navigating other traffic and road conditions.

And as for urban areas: The garbage collection tractors seem to have no issues...

Edited by Kavvz

Trailers need to be seperately registered in Sri Lanka with a seperate number plate. You will need to take it to RMV, get it weighed and bend over backwards to the vehicle inspectors there. Once on the road, you will need to bend over backwards to every cop in every junction (cos they probably know nothing about rules of pulling trailers so they will stop you out of curiosity). Not worth the hassle.

My requirement is to carry an additional suitcase or 2,with 4 passengers.I don't want to compromise the driving, ride quality and leg room of rear passengers with a double cab. If the trailer solution can work,I won't have to change cars.but sounds like a lot of bending over is needed...

My requirement is to carry an additional suitcase or 2,with 4 passengers.I don't want to compromise the driving, ride quality and leg room of rear passengers with a double cab. If the trailer solution can work,I won't have to change cars.but sounds like a lot of bending over is needed...

How about a van? Four people can travel comfortably and also there would be more than enough space for luggage. I don't know about other countries but here , it would be really difficult to drive with a trailer.

Having said that; there's plenty of tractors (agricultural full size tractors as well as kubota hand tractors) that ply on rural roads / outstation roads with trailers and with no issues at all navigating other traffic and road conditions.

And as for urban areas: The garbage collection tractors seem to have no issues...

I meant issues as legal matters like if someone having dual purpose motor vehicle license and carrying a trailer. But later found relevant info in DMT website. It clearly says

"Dual purpose Motor vehicle of which Gross Vehicle Weight does not exceed 3500kg and the seating capacity does not exceed 9 seats inclusive of the driver’s seat, which may be combined with a trailer of which maximum authorized tare does not exceed 750kg: Motor vehicle in this class include and invalid carriage and all cars where the seating capacity does not exceed 9 seats inclusive of the Driver’s seat."

Thanks Kusum,so up to 750kg is possible with C,C1,D license?

I am a car person,therefore the hesitation to go for a van,bus even SUV by compromising driving fun,ride quality for something I may need maximum twice a year.

Thanks Kusum,so up to 750kg is possible with C,C1,D license?

I am a car person,therefore the hesitation to go for a van,bus even SUV by compromising driving fun,ride quality for something I may need maximum twice a year.

You're going to be needing the extra capacity just twice a year? Easy solution: Rent a van whenever you need the extra cargo capacity...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

I saw on "Sri Lanka Traffic Violation" FB page where a trailer was attached to a Montero Sport. Somehow the video was about how it got into an accident with another car because of careless zigzag driving. Also the other car was not expecting the trailer behind the SUV.

I understand that you are a car person. What I don't understand is why you're looking for a trailer which you need only twice a year.

I saw on "Sri Lanka Traffic Violation" FB page where a trailer was attached to a Montero Sport. Somehow the video was about how it got into an accident with another car because of careless zigzag driving. Also the other car was not expecting the trailer behind the SUV.

I understand that you are a car person. What I don't understand is why you're looking for a trailer which you need only twice a year.

Below is an another similar idiot. Few days ago, he wanted sudden access to my lane (left lane to right lane and I was on right lane) and suddenly shifted the lane. Fortunately I could stop my vehicle immidietly and narrowly escaped my car getting crash with his trailer.

55555_zpsplnce2yb.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Â

Below is an another similar idiot. Few days ago, he wanted sudden access to my lane (left lane to right lane and I was on right lane) and suddenly shifted the lane. Fortunately I could stop my vehicle immidietly and narrowly escaped my car getting crash with his trailer.Â

Â

55555_zpsplnce2yb.jpg

What an idiot. I think first they have to master driving the SUV alone before driving it with a trailer.

Was not aware that hand tractors are allowed on any kind of license. Must be a 'govijanathawa' thing :D

LOL. Yes, Yes every government deeply considering about 'govijanathawa'. :P

Judging by the (bad)publicity of these photos,it seems trailers would not be completely new to our cops.

The choice between renting a van w.o driver or buying a second hand trailer depends on cost and the hassle. Any ideas? I think renting has also become quite pricey recently,looking at the number of foreigners using public transport.

Edited by RViji

You mean the plastic boxes that look like an upside down boat? http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/THULE-Ocean-600-Car-Roof-Box-in-Gloss-Black-Finish-330-Litre-Capacity-/162066409501?hash=item25bbe9281d%3Ag%3AOEsAAOSwx-9WzMiv&_trkparms=pageci%253A2168115b-3576-11e6-b473-74dbd180a80e%257Cparentrq%253A6474aea71550a2af652410a2ffff1efa%257Ciid%253A1

I dont think the space gain is much

.Or is it something special for soft top convertibles? Any place that sell second hand ones?

Edited by RViji