• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Inverter Refrigerator

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi Guys,

Apologize for posting this question which has nothing to do with autos. But I think some can answer with their own experience.

I need to buy a refrigerator and thinking of an inverter model. I have experience with inverter type home AC (Of course they consume less energy) but not with the refrigerators.

I assume the technology applies for the refrigerators is same as on ACs (continuously running compressor with some electronics inside)

1. I would like to know if anyone uses it already, what brands (or models) can be suggested for home use?

2. Any known problems with inverter refrigerators (With SL operating condition such as variable voltage supply, weather condition)

Please help me decide. Appreciate for sharing your experience.

Thanks.

20 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

Apologize for posting this question which has nothing to do with autos. But I think some can answer with their own experience.

I need to buy a refrigerator and thinking of an inverter model. I have experience with inverter type home AC (Of course they consume less energy) but not with the refrigerators.

I assume the technology applies for the refrigerators is same as on ACs (continuously running compressor with some electronics inside)

1. I would like to know if anyone uses it already, what brands (or models) can be suggested for home use?

2. Any known problems with inverter refrigerators (With SL operating condition such as variable voltage supply, weather condition)

Please help me decide. Appreciate for sharing your experience.

Thanks.

I was told by few experts that inverter refrigerators make more sense than inverter a/c at home

yep if it does not run for a considerable period of time there will not be much saving from a inverter AC. I have a Samsung Inverter Refrigerator for about 12 months. so far no issues.

Did you find any noticeable reduction of the energy consumption? (May be from the electricity bill)

I have an LG inverter refrigerator. The bloody thing has a mind of its own. I would suggest going for a conventional fridge, especially if you place cooked food in the fridge for 3-4 days like I do.

My parents have a Sisil ordinary fridge, which does its job perfectly.

Yes, I got same advice from the sales rep at duty free shops. If you want a big one,then inverter type is the best option to save electricity bill. Otherwise go for a normal one.I ended up with a smaller normal Hitachi,so far happy about noise and electricity bill.

• Like 1

Is the inverter affected by voltage drops and sudden power cuts? My parents bought a inverter refrigerator to replace their 25 year old National double door (still in perfect working condition) and in that part of Kandy sudden power cuts are frequent.

I would suggest going for a conventional fridge, especially if you place cooked food in the fridge for 3-4 days like I do.

Normally we don't keep the cooked food for 3-4 days.

So any special reason why you suggest me to go for a conventional fridge? Is it because the higher cost of purchase or expensive parts if broken? Thanks.

Normally we don't keep the cooked food for 3-4 days.

So any special reason why you suggest me to go for a conventional fridge? Is it because the higher cost of purchase or expensive parts if broken? Thanks.

No. Like I mentioned earlier, the fridge has a mind of its own. Temperature inside the fridge changes in random.

@Quiet: 3-4 days is generally safe if the temperature in the fridge is below 10-degrees.

Is the inverter affected by voltage drops and sudden power cuts? My parents bought a inverter refrigerator to replace their 25 year old National double door (still in perfect working condition) and in that part of Kandy sudden power cuts are frequent.

Inverter driven refrigerators and AC designs are more tolerant to voltage fluctuations. Hence you don't need an external voltage stabilizer. But the question is with all electronics on the mains side whether they are more susceptible to lightning damage compared to a conventional fridge. I too agree with Raviji's comments when in comes to selecting one.

cooked food for 3-4 days? :sad-smiley-058: Dude even in the fridge there will be plenty of toxins in cooked food by then. Not advisable at all.

lol! Clam down, its not as bad as all that:

I ALWAYS at any given point in time have 3-7 days old food in the fridge. Been doing that at our house for as long as I can remember(more than 10 yrs) now and here I am, no issues so far. Touch wood.

(Disclaimer: It depends on the food of course and the source of the food. For example I wouldn't keep a kottu in the fridge for more than a day as its already a festering mess of toxins and although the temps in the fridge slows the rate of toxin growth it doesn't stop it so the kottu will spoil faster than say for example a nice chicken curry cooked at home in sanitary conditions. You get where I'm going with this right? I don't mean this as a blanket statement that food will last forever in the fridge...)

lol! Clam down, its not as bad as all that:

I ALWAYS at any given point in time have 3-7 days old food in the fridge. Been doing that at our house for as long as I can remember(more than 10 yrs) now and here I am, no issues so far. Touch wood.

(Disclaimer: It depends on the food of course and the source of the food. For example I wouldn't keep a kottu in the fridge for more than a day as its already a festering mess of toxins and although the temps in the fridge slows the rate of toxin growth it doesn't stop it so the kottu will spoil faster than say for example a nice chicken curry cooked at home in sanitary conditions. You get where I'm going with this right? I don't mean this as a blanket statement that food will last forever in the fridge...)

Well.. my habit comes from my past in Australia where cooked food used to be in the fridge for weeks and in the freezer for months.

BTW if you see a Fisher and Paykel brand fridge anywhere - buy it without hesitation. They make good fridges. That's what kept my cooked food for weeks and didn't kill me.

• Like 1

Well keeping in the freezer is a different thing. But keeping food above -4C even though its slow than normal due to slow metabolic rate in low temperature bacteria start to degrade the food and small amounts of toxins start to form which may include carcinogenic stuff. It may not be an issue even medium term. But long term it is not good for kidneys liver and may cause cancer.

Of course food and vegetables today have plenty of added toxic chemicals but the habit of keeping cooked food refrigerated for extended periods is definitely harmful.

• Like 1

Well keeping in the freezer is a different thing. But keeping food above -4C even though its slow than normal due to slow metabolic rate in low temperature bacteria start to degrade the food and small amounts of toxins start to form which may include carcinogenic stuff. It may not be an issue even medium term. But long term it is not good for kidneys liver and may cause cancer.

Of course food and vegetables today have plenty of added toxic chemicals but the habit of keeping cooked food refrigerated for extended periods is definitely harmful.

Really? That's the first time I've heard of that theory, but hey, I'll consider it as it sounds logical.

Well.. my habit comes from my past in Australia where cooked food used to be in the fridge for weeks and in the freezer for months.

BTW if you see a Fisher and Paykel brand fridge anywhere - buy it without hesitation. They make good fridges. That's what kept my cooked food for weeks and didn't kill me.

Fisher and Paykel ? Whoa never heard of that brand (I'll give it a google-Thanks!) but we used to have a trusty Sisil at home as well too till recently. As far as fridges go, I'm clueless. I even had to google inverter fridges and read up on how they work. Gotta love it, you learn something new on AL everyday! :D

Edited by Kavvz

Fisher and Paykel ? Whoa never heard of that brand (I'll give it a google-Thanks!) but we used to have a trusty Sisil at home as well too till recently. As far as fridges go, I'm clueless. I even had to google inverter fridges and read up on how they work. Gotta love it, you learn something new on AL everyday! :D

Those old Sisil fridges are built to last.