• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Bay Wash In A Hybrid Car

nitro2000

Hi all,

I own a Toyota Aqua. And I do my regular services at C*rePo*nt. Last time when I took it there for the service that guy who changed oil requested me to do an engine bay wash saying that area is so dusty. Upto that point I only allowed them to use the high pressure air (Because from the place I bought the car asked me not to wash the engine bay as it might cause further damage). The reason that serviceman told me was that due that dust it might create an unnecessary heat in the invertor and may lead into early problematic situations. Also he stated that they use a special chemical instead of water. So I allowed them to do so. During the process I saw them using high pressure water. Since I was in a hurry to my workplace I was not able to ask them why they used water as well. So my questions are

1) Is it okay to do such an engine bay wash especially for a hybrid which is filled with complicated electronics?

2) Will the dust really remain as a causative factor for heat generation in the investor (like the dust layer acting as a heat insulator) ?

3) If it is necessary to do the wash how often should I do it (I know this question may sound stupid as it depends on the amount of dust collected. But I mean generally is it necessary to do it like I change oil in every 5000km's. I use solely this car for driving within the Colombo city)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

toyota lanka also uses water to clean enginne bay of hybrid cars.usually they clean the outer area inside engine bay with low pressure water. nothing to worry about using water in that way.the chemical is used to clean the centre area of engine bay

• Like 1

I don't think its good for any engine to be washed by water. a dust layer doesn't have a big impact on heating the engine. I have seen some workplaces wash engine bay after covering electrical parts such as the fuse box and sensors with plastic bags so that water doesn't get in to them. Once I had a bad experience where I couldn't notice and the guy at the service station had already washed the engine bay with the water pressure gun. Day after my idle up sensor wasn't working so that when I switch on the AC, the idle RPM will stay the same without increasing a bit and it caused the engine to jerk a lot. the idle up sensor had gone and had to replace that. mine is not a hybrid though. a little dust won't hurt the engine as much as water does :violent-smiley-027:

• Like 5

I own a Toyota Aqua. And I do my regular services at C*rePo*nt. Last time when I took it there for the service that guy who changed oil requested me to do an engine bay wash saying that area is so dusty. Upto that point I only allowed them to use the high pressure air (Because from the place I bought the car asked me not to wash the engine bay as it might cause further damage). The reason that serviceman told me was that due that dust it might create an unnecessary heat in the invertor and may lead into early problematic situations. Also he stated that they use a special chemical instead of water. So I allowed them to do so. During the process I saw them using high pressure water. Since I was in a hurry to my workplace I was not able to ask them why they used water as well. So my questions are

High pressure water under an engine bay is a big no irrespective of whether the car is a hybrid or not. I only wash my engine bay when I feel its dirty (maybe every 20,000km or so).

A bit of dust under it is perfectly all right, it will not have an effect on the heat as cars are made to run that way.

Edited by maxxarox
  • Like 1

I don't think its good for any engine to be washed by water. a dust layer doesn't have a big impact on heating the engine. I have seen some workplaces wash engine bay after covering electrical parts such as the fuse box and sensors with plastic bags so that water doesn't get in to them. Once I had a bad experience where I couldn't notice and the guy at the service station had already washed the engine bay with the water pressure gun. Day after my idle up sensor wasn't working so that when I switch on the AC, the idle RPM will stay the same without increasing a bit and it caused the engine to jerk a lot. the idle up sensor had gone and had to replace that. mine is not a hybrid though. a little dust won't hurt the engine as much as water does :violent-smiley-027:

Yes,

Water and electronics never mixed,.. .Anyone washing a modern car's engine bay would be asking for trouble. It's just a matter of time. :speechless-smiley-006:

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 2

i hv been servicing my vehicles at C*r* P*o*nt since 2011. they never use water except for some sort of evaporating foam and of course they charge extra for that.

Yeah, they did charge extra 2000-2500 for that. But I'v been watching it throughout the process ( Because I'm so particular on what what they do to my vehicle), and they did use the water gun after spraying off some chemical. And I normally do my services at C*rePo*nt Pannipitiya where it's spacious and less crowded than the Thalawathugoda branch where I did this particular service. and not that much satisfied with their respect to the vehicles at that T'wathugoda branch.

And thanks again for all your ideas. The reason for not to do my services at T*y*ta L*nka is that sometimes they use SAE 5-30 for hybrids, when they run outta SAE 0-20 oil which is the recommended oil for hybrids.

• Like 1