• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 3 Why Dohc Engine?

jwenn

Who manufactures this engine? Mazda or a third-party. And anyone knows a place where I can get more details on this exact engine?

Try google? It's a Mazda engine (obviously). Most probably a version of the MZR engine family as fitted to the previous generation 3 and the Familia/323 before that. It's a durable and well proven engine and was likely fitted for our market to keep the cost down over the Skyactiv. That explains the last century 4 speed automatic as well. Then again Mazda were always a bit behind with their autoboxes, the mid 1990s 323/familia had a 3 Speed auto if i remember right!

Try google? It's a Mazda engine (obviously). Most probably a version of the MZR engine family as fitted to the previous generation 3 and the Familia/323 before that. It's a durable and well proven engine and was likely fitted for our market to keep the cost down over the Skyactiv. That explains the last century 4 speed automatic as well. Then again Mazda were always a bit behind with their autoboxes, the mid 1990s 323/familia had a 3 Speed auto if i remember right!

It is the MZR engine which basically has been around since the BK Mazda 3s. But the familia has zl engines without variable valve timing (except for the zl-ve)

I think I found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Z_engine#ZY

More details - http://australiancar.reviews/ZY-VE-engine.php

Edited by jwenn

It's definitely an MZR engine but not the ZY/VE because that's a 1.5 and what the 3 has is a 1.6. So it's probably the ZM-DE (or Z6-DE).