• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Acer Aspire R11- My Review

Acer Aspire R11 laptop convertible review, for anyone who is interested in buying a small versatile touchscreen convertible laptop.

This computer is about 6 months old now and I guess I have used it enough to write this review. The reason I bought this machine is because I needed something light, portable with a very good battery life.

The machine was bought in Singapore and it cost me about 55,000 Rs.

The laptop uses an Intel pentium N3700 chipset (quad core 1.6Ghz) paired with 4GB ram and a 500GB hard disk. The display is an 11.6" touchscreen and the machine weighs about 1.5kg. There is an integrated webcam, microphone/headphone jack, Lan port, HDMI port, SD card reader, one USB 3 and one USB 2 port (pretty much everything you will need). Windows 10 was pre-installed.

The computer is currently my daily workhorse mainly to view pdfs on the go, a lot of excel work (the processor is capable of processing large files with macros at a pretty decent speed), emails, and web surfing ( I always keep about 15 tabs open all the time and the computer works just fine). This computer cannot be used to play games, video editing or work on graphic intensive software like AutoCAD or solidworks the processor won’t be able to take it.

This was one of the few models with the pentium chipset. I felt that the atom or celeron processors although giving promising battery life wouldn’t be able to cope with the work I needed to do. Moving up the range was the core i3 which were much heavier, more expensive, less battery life and was out of my price budget.

The keyboard is very punchy. I get decent travel on the keys and I never seem to get tired while using it; the key spacing is quite good except for the portion where the arrow keys are located; 6 keys cluttered together making it difficult to move around using the arrow buttons (but that’s when you use the touchscreen).

The machine gets a tad bit warm underneath but it’s barely noticeable.

I rarely use the machine on tablet mode. Although the 360 hinge is very neat, I like that fact that on tablet mode the display rotates and provides a portrait screen which is really useful for reading and browsing through forums and fb.

I charge the computer every night, and run the machine on battery power for the rest of the day as I move around a lot. Overall the machine performs quite well, although I get a slight lag while running graphic intensive browser tabs.

I recently upgraded the machine with a Samsung 250 GB SSD. This was the only upgrade I made as I had an extra SSD on hand. I used the 500 GB HDD as a backup. Trust me this upgrade made a world of a difference in terms of speed and loading time and I encourage anyone who is using an HDD to try and upgrade to an SSD.

This took care of all the little lags and gave me a huge amount of battery life as well (no moving parts in an SSD). I am now able to get about 8.5 hrs to 12 hrs of battery life per day (12hrs if the screen brightness is set to minimum… this is with the wifi running).

The laptop is a good budget pick for coffee shop hoppers who like to do light work and watch a couple of videos on the go, it does the basics right, but not so great for using graphic intensive applications and definitely not for games.

If u have any questions regarding this laptop just drop a comment I would be glad to help. :)

• 5 years later...
On 5/21/2016 at 11:32 PM, Iced-T said:

Acer Aspire R11 laptop convertible review, for anyone who is interested in buying a small versatile touchscreen convertible laptop.

This computer is about 6 months old now and I guess I have used it enough to write this review. The reason I bought this machine is because I needed something light, portable with a very good battery life.

The machine was bought in Singapore and it cost me about 55,000 Rs.

The laptop uses an Intel pentium N3700 chipset (quad core 1.6Ghz) paired with 4GB ram and a 500GB hard disk. The display is an 11.6" touchscreen and the machine weighs about 1.5kg. There is an integrated webcam, microphone/headphone jack, Lan port, HDMI port, SD card reader, one USB 3 and one USB 2 port (pretty much everything you will need). Windows 10 was pre-installed.

The computer is currently my daily workhorse mainly to view pdfs on the go, a lot of excel work (the processor is capable of processing large files with macros at a pretty decent speed), emails, and web surfing ( I always keep about 15 tabs open all the time and the computer works just fine). This computer cannot be used to play games, video editing or work on graphic intensive software like AutoCAD or solidworks the processor won’t be able to take it.

This was one of the few models with the pentium chipset. I felt that the atom or celeron processors although giving promising battery life wouldn’t be able to cope with the work I needed to do. Moving up the range was the core i3 which were much heavier, more expensive, less battery life and was out of my price budget.

The keyboard is very punchy. I get decent travel on the keys and I never seem to get tired while using it; the key spacing is quite good except for the portion where the arrow keys are located; 6 keys cluttered together making it difficult to move around using the arrow buttons (but that’s when you use the touchscreen).

The machine gets a tad bit warm underneath but it’s barely noticeable.

I rarely use the machine on tablet mode. Although the 360 hinge is very neat, I like that fact that on tablet mode the display rotates and provides a portrait screen which is really useful for reading and browsing through forums and fb.

I charge the computer every night, and run the machine on battery power for the rest of the day as I move around a lot. Overall the machine performs quite well, although I get a slight lag while running graphic intensive browser tabs.

I recently upgraded the machine with a Samsung 250 GB SSD. This was the only upgrade I made as I had an extra SSD on hand. I used the 500 GB HDD as a backup. Trust me this upgrade made a world of a difference in terms of speed and loading time and I encourage anyone who is using an HDD to try and upgrade to an SSD.

This took care of all the little lags and gave me a huge amount of battery life as well (no moving parts in an SSD). I am now able to get about 8.5 hrs to 12 hrs of battery life per day (12hrs if the screen brightness is set to minimum… this is with the wifi running).

The laptop is a good budget pick for coffee shop hoppers who like to do light work and watch a couple of videos on the go, it does the basics right, but not so great for using graphic intensive applications and definitely not for games. happy wheels

If u have any questions regarding this laptop just drop a comment I would be glad to help. :)

Thanks, very helpful