• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Allion Nzt260 (Cvt) Gearbox Issue

thirtyone

Question

Hi All,

Need some advice from the experts here regarding a possible gearbox failure in my NZT260 Toyota Allion (1NZ-FE).

Couple of days back when I was on the way and fortunately closer to my home the car started to rev high up when accelerating and started experiencing a huge power loss to the wheels.

I got home and I have kept the car in place till today without moving it to prevent any further damage. So basically the car engages the Drive mode and when accelerating the car barely moves (does not get past 20 km/h) but the engine revs high up. Only reverse is working without any loss of power. No noise or any cranking is heard from the tranny.

Mechanics suggest that it is a common failure in CVT type transmissions in Toyotas' and it cannot be repaired, but replaced the whole transmission in full.

All the maintenance have been done through Toyota Lanka and CVT transmission oil was replaced at the recommended intervals right throughout (CVT oil was changed in the last service as well).

Toyota Lanka says the part is more than 900k, but recons are around 175k the least.

The car has close to 186k mileage.

• Has anyone else running similar transmission experienced this?
  • Is it possible to repair?
  • If it has to be replaced, any tips on buying the part, replacement?

Value all your ideas regarding this :)

Regards.

19 answers to this question

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="hrm" data-cid="292539" data-time="1463730217"><p>

Did you do a diagnostic scan to find any DTCs? seems like car is running on limp mode.</p></blockquote>

Yes I did. No errors are prompting. :(

Sorry to hear of your prob.

take it to the dealer and do a diagnostic test before you do anything .the trans ecu memory might have what happened in memory

You have been given the only guaranteed repair which is replacement.

Edited by Twin Turbo

@Twin Turbo I couldn't take it to Toyota yet, but I spoke to one of their engineers through a friend of mine who works there, and I was told the same story that it is most likely the CVT tranny that fails which needs to be replaced. According to him the reason why CVT fails is that the type of stop-and-go traffic that the gearbox experiences in SL causes much damage to the system over time which then fails the gearbox after some time. :/

• Like 1

@sathyajithj99

Yes I am the first owner here in SL although the car had close to 30k mileage when I got it in 2010. I've been changing the fluid every 35-40k. Never ran it without changing it past 40. Tough luck. :(

If the original mileage is genuine I feel bad for you. CVTs do tend to fail over time after heavy use and this could be one of them. But as others suggest visit Nil*ala or any other competent place to know for sure before scratching you wallet.

http://xn--n8ji814v5jtnoov38aebd.com/%E8%BB%8A%E7%A8%AE%E5%88%A5%E6%95%85%E9%9A%9C%E4%BA%8B%E4%BE%8B/%E3%83%88%E3%83%A8%E3%82%BF/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AA%E3%82%AA%E3%83%B3%E4%BF%AE%E7%90%86%E8%B2%BB%E7%94%A8.html

2007年にフルモデルチェンジしたアリオン、これで2代目モデルになったわけですが、先代モデルのような生死にかかわるようなものはありませんが、リコールが発表されました。

症状としては、セレクターレバーをDレンジなどにいれて、ブレーキペダルを放してもクリープ現象すらない状態になり、アクセルペダルを踏んでもまるでニュートラルに入っているかのようにエンジン回転数が上がったるだけで車はいっこうに進まずといった状態になります。

これは内部につけられている変速用のクラッチを抑える部品が急激な加速などによって位置がずれ、それによってクラッチが押さえつけられないようになり、回転力が伝わらないというものです。

しかし、このリコールは1800ccエンジンモデルのみで同じような構造を持つ1.5リッターエンジンモデルや2リッターモデルは該当してないことになっていますが実はこれらのモデルにも同じような現象が起きているようです。

この状況までいってしまうとひどい場合ではミッションの乗せ換えが必要で部品代だけで30万円以上もかかってしまうでしょう。

しかし、これといった対策が今のところないので、急発進などを避けなるべくCVTに負担がかからないようにしましょうAccording to this translation,

This seems like a known failure in the post2007 Allions,there was a recall for it. But good news is not the whole CVT maybe kaput. there is an internal clutch inside gearbox. The part which moves the clutch can move out of place due to a sudden acceleration. As a result, engine speed will rise without delivering power to the wheels. Considering how well the foot feels after driving a manual car in Colombo traffic,one can imagine how much stress that part has to undergo in our traffic compared to Japan.If you are going to dismantle the gearbox anyway,maybe better look for this mechanism IMO

@Twin Turbo I couldn't take it to Toyota yet, but I spoke to one of their engineers through a friend of mine who works there, and I was told the same story that it is most likely the CVT tranny that fails which needs to be replaced. According to him the reason why CVT fails is that the type of stop-and-go traffic that the gearbox experiences in SL causes much damage to the system over time which then fails the gearbox after some time. :/

No wonder TL don't get this model here new. They'd be up to their necks with warranty claims. :speechless-smiley-006:

Sorry to bring up this old thread. 

But i have to ask, is there any method to check CVT gearbox status (well maintained or not) by any method?

Can a full diagnosis report from Toyotalanka reveal this?

Im asking you this because i intend to buy an allion 260 and im new to cars..

7 hours ago, Niroshan_AM said:

Sorry to bring up this old thread. 

But i have to ask, is there any method to check CVT gearbox status (well maintained or not) by any method?

Can a full diagnosis report from Toyotalanka reveal this?

Im asking you this because i intend to buy an allion 260 and im new to cars..

There's no way of checking the "maintenance history" of a gearbox or engine. The closest you can get is to check the condition of the oil (bright red/pink) and how the car drives. That too only gives an indication of the most recent oil change only.

A full diagnosis doesn't reveal maintenance history. At least not with the Allion. A diagnosis only reveals if there are issues with the engine management system and related components. So the best way is to check maintenance records.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Davy said:

There's no way of checking the "maintenance history" of a gearbox or engine. The closest you can get is to check the condition of the oil (bright red/pink) and how the car drives. That too only gives an indication of the most recent oil change only.

A full diagnosis doesn't reveal maintenance history. At least not with the Allion. A diagnosis only reveals if there are issues with the engine management system and related components. So the best way is to check maintenance records.

hmmm....

Thanks.

As Davy , the car does not have a memory of maintenance.,.

Looking at the illustrious history of failiures, I would getsomething else for your budget.

Good luck.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

This fault is known to be with 1800cc models. Apparently 1500 and 2000 models sound safe which are mostly available in srilanka, considering the number of nzt 260s in colombo roads if this is a common fault in 1500s TL will open a separate branch to bring down cvt gear boxes. My NZT260 allion 2010 had a tiny noise on acceleration when it was around 46000 mileage. when showed to TL they gave me the same bull. They are telling to do oil changes atleast once in 80k which sounds quit absurd which i was actually considering those days. When i showed to my mechanic he told this is due to wreckage from metal belt or some thing due frequent start stops in our traffic so change oil frequently. Once i changed the oil everything came clean. you shouldn't top up. Drain it. Remove it, Remove the metal dust. Then Repack, Since then its running like a charm. Now im at 70k no issues since then, Ill be doing my next oil change in 80k.

Good Luck!

45 minutes ago, esanda007 said:

This fault is known to be with 1800cc models. Apparently 1500 and 2000 models sound safe which are mostly available in srilanka, considering the number of nzt 260s in colombo roads if this is a common fault in 1500s TL will open a separate branch to bring down cvt gear boxes. 

Uhhh..how can that be ? Both the 1500cc and 1800cc variants have the same CVT unit...the K310 (or is it K311) CVT.

Only the 2000cc variant has a different CVT, which is the K111 unit.

Basically these CVT units are nearly 10-17 years old in design.

The K310 and K311 came out first about 10 years ago and the K111 first came out in like 2000 ! Granted they have had minor updates but the design has essentially been the same.

As for the CVT going bad....well...my Father-in-law had a 1800cc Allion which he bought brand new..used for 7 years and put 160K+ kms on it and all that was done to the CVT was a fluid change at the 100K scheduled maintenance. Then again this was in Japan and not the crawling+short-stop-and-go style driving in SL (perhaps there is some wisdom behind Toyota not putting CVT boxes in their models for the "emerging/developing markets".)

• Like 1