• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tax Change On Vehicles

Quiet

And this here illustrates the problem with the typical Sri Lankan car buyer... The relentless quest to "upgrade" to keep up with the Perera's and De Silva's down the street. What is wrong with maybe taking care of the car you have already, putting in a bit of effort into maintaining it right and keeping it cosmetically sharp? I suppose this sort of thing must not compute for you lot eh? For you it's all about the "upgrade" isn't it?

100% agreed with you. As you said, I have said this to people who badly want to upgrade the car. This is not valid point for me. I'm not going to upgrade or downgrade myself for long time as I'm more than happy with what i have right now. :rolleyes:

100% agreed with you. As you said, I have said this to people who badly want to upgrade the car. This is not valid point for me. I'm not going to upgrade or downgrade myself for long time as I'm more than happy with what i have right now. :rolleyes:

Same with me. I'm happy with mine and no plans to go for an upgrade in the next few years. And with the price hike of the vehicles, there's no point of going into debt to buy a new vehicle. Instead taking care of what you already have, put a good set of new tyres and do the maintenance on time seems more appropriate.

Don't forget the 3 cylinder BMWs. And also, it's only the 4WD Vezels that have gone down in price, and it was already a pricey car to begin with, not many came down.

Why are you comparing an Atkinson cycle engine to an otto cycle engine? Do you even know the difference ? Also do you understand the difference between turbocharged vs NA engines?

can anyone clarify what is the difference between Atkinson cycle engine and Modified Atkinson cycle engines ( it is said prius is powered by this) ?

u could watch a youtube video . easier to understand . what i learned by doing a google search was that the atkinson engine was a special engine where complicated mechanical parts were used to make the piston travel further on the power stroke than on the compression stroke hence an increase in the expansion ratio compared to the compression ratio on the same cycle whereas a normal otto cycle would have the same expansion and compression ratios . this setup included so many compicated moving parts and as u know the more the moving parts theres more chance of a failure occuring . somehow this type of engine didnt become popular . another thing was that since the volume of air during the compression cycle was reduced there was a considerable loss of power . Prius does not operate on the original design of the atkinson engine but simulates this atkinson cycle engine behaviour in a more cost effective way by manipulating the valve timing so that in the compression stroke the intake valve is kept open untill the piston goes a bit up some air is again pumped back through the intake valve and the compression starts after the piston travels a bit up . In the end what happens is that there would be a higher expansion ratio compared to the compression ratio . in other words the piston moved a larger distance during the power making stroke compared to the compression stroke so energy is saved in moving the piston compared to a normal otto cycle due to the smaller distance it has to travel . draw back of this is that it produces less power due to the lower compression ratio . where the prius uses an electric motor to compensate for that . there are other cars like mazas which runs on the otto cycle but depending on the situation switches to the simulated atkinson cycle by manipulating the valve timing .

• Like 1

u could watch a youtube video . easier to understand . what i learned by doing a google search was that the atkinson engine was a special engine where complicated mechanical parts were used to make the piston travel further on the power stroke than on the compression stroke hence an increase in the expansion ratio compared to the compression ratio on the same cycle whereas a normal otto cycle would have the same expansion and compression ratios . this setup included so many compicated moving parts and as u know the more the moving parts theres more chance of a failure occuring . somehow this type of engine didnt become popular . another thing was that since the volume of air during the compression cycle was reduced there was a considerable loss of power . Prius does not operate on the original design of the atkinson engine but simulates this atkinson cycle engine behaviour in a more cost effective way by manipulating the valve timing so that in the compression stroke the intake valve is kept open untill the piston goes a bit up some air is again pumped back through the intake valve and the compression starts after the piston travels a bit up . In the end what happens is that there would be a higher expansion ratio compared to the compression ratio . in other words the piston moved a larger distance during the power making stroke compared to the compression stroke so energy is saved in moving the piston compared to a normal otto cycle due to the smaller distance it has to travel . draw back of this is that it produces less power due to the lower compression ratio . where the prius uses an electric motor to compensate for that . there are other cars like mazas which runs on the otto cycle but depending on the situation switches to the simulated atkinson cycle by manipulating the valve timing .

well.. u mean original Atkinson Cycle engine design was a failure due to more moving parts ? correct ?

Modified Atkinson Cycle engine => VVTi in toyotas ? correct ?

It is not clear to me what you meant by "so energy is saved in moving the piston compared to a normal otto cycle due to the smaller distance it has to travel"

According to your answer , prius is using its electrical motor for compensating the power loss due to lower compression . How about if there is no charge in hybrid battery ?

Edited by trish_auto

According to your answer , prius is using its electrical motor for compensating the power loss due to lower compression . How about if there is no charge in hybrid battery ?

You need HV battery power to turn MG1 to start the ICE engine. That's it.

well.. u mean original Atkinson Cycle engine design was a failure due to more moving parts ? correct ? YES

Modified Atkinson Cycle engine => VVTi in toyotas ? correct ? NO

It is not clear to me what you meant by "so energy is saved in moving the piston compared to a normal otto cycle due to the smaller distance it has to travel"

If I may answer your questions, yes, original Atkinson cycle engines were a failure. However, modern Atkinson engines you find in Toyota hybrids are in fact normal Otto cycle engines with all VVT-i features but with further modified valve timing to provide Atkinson cycle functionality on top.

As for the energy saving on the compression stroke, to compress a gas you need a certain amount of work done. Lesser the compression ratio lesser the amount of work done. For example if you compress 1000cc of gas to 100cc the compression ratio is 10:1 but if you compress 800cc to 100cc the ratio is 8:1. So the amount of energy to compress at 8:1 ratio is less than that required for a 10:1 ratio. In a modern Atkinson engine this functionality is achieved by delaying the closure of intake valve and thus expelling a part of gas (let's say 200cc) back into the intake manifold and compressing remaining 800cc. (please note that the figures used are for ease of explanation only). Expelled portion of gas mixture is sucked into the next piston on suction stroke while ECU makes necessary adjustments in EFI to take the expelled gas mixture into account. Hope this clarifies your query.

Edit: I did't realize that the topic was on taxation. My bad :D

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 4

If I may answer your questions, yes, original Atkinson cycle engines were a failure. However, modern Atkinson engines you find in Toyota hybrids are in fact normal Otto cycle engines with all VVT-i features but with further modified valve timing to provide Atkinson cycle functionality on top.

As for the energy saving on the compression stroke, to compress a gas you need a certain amount of work done. Lesser the compression ratio lesser the amount of work done. For example if you compress 1000cc of gas to 100cc the compression ratio is 10:1 but if you compress 800cc to 100cc the ratio is 8:1. So the amount of energy to compress at 8:1 ratio is less than that required for a 10:1 ratio. In a modern Atkinson engine this functionality is achieved by delaying the closure of intake valve and thus expelling a part of gas (let's say 200cc) back into the intake manifold and compressing remaining 800cc. (please note that the figures used are for ease of explanation only). Expelled portion of gas mixture is sucked into the next piston on suction stroke while ECU makes necessary adjustments in EFI to take the expelled gas mixture into account. Hope this clarifies your query.

Edit: I did't realize that the topic was on taxation. My bad :D

Thanks mate for a professional answer..

And now they send me a mail saying its not 11Mn its 12Mn.

Vezels for parliamentarians? are you mad? then i will have to sell my Vezel also or els i will also become a bada mahatha pimpiya from diyawannawa

:sad-smiley-067:

No, Vezels for Palath Saba Politicos, ( when elected for first time Hal-massa, then Bada Mahatha Pingona.)

Mercs & BMWs for Diyawannawa Caliber, :sad-smiley-067: . But should have 4WD. where to go ?. Luxury car manufactures produce 4WDs on special order.

With that cost, it will reach to 45 million. That is why these cars are very expensive.

Somebody said that in Sweden , PM goes to Parliament in a public Metro Train. Same person said that Metro has many wheels more than 4 wheels. :sad-smiley-058:

No, Vezels for Palath Saba Politicos, ( when elected for first time Hal-massa, then Bada Mahatha Pingona.)

Mercs & BMWs for Diyawannawa Caliber, :sad-smiley-067: . But should have 4WD. where to go ?. Luxury car manufactures produce 4WDs on special order.

With that cost, it will reach to 45 million. That is why these cars are very expensive.

Somebody said that in Sweden , PM goes to Parliament in a public Metro Train. Same person said that Metro has many wheels more than 4 wheels. :sad-smiley-058:

Take a look at this:

Edited by maxxarox
  • Like 1