• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tax Change On Vehicles

Quiet

:speechless-smiley-004: hard to understand all these logic and economics. All i know is i advanced for a car after riding 3 tax revisions and they tell me for my 7.60Mn car i have to pay 11Mn while i hv already paid 0.50Mn and opened the LC also (Mind you all with hard earned money to which the all applicable government taxes have been paid to). all this with parliamentarians getting tax free vehicles like Discovery Vogue, BMW 7 series etc in order to serve us constituents faster whilst hoarding black money, drug trading, commission taking etc etc..

Oh well all my education on economics didnt prepare me for this kind of decision making.

A little advance notice would have stopped me from ordering the new car and selling my Vitz (of course driving the Vitz for 05 years whilst collecting money to buy a new car before im too old) and being in this mess and also me starting this thread and getting hammered left and right with conspiracy theories. :sport-smiley-027:

Machang, problem is the powers that be in this government changes their financial policies on a daily basis depending on which side of the bed they get up from. So unless you can predict the future you can never tell what changes will come tomorrow.

My advise for you is to get something that is already in the market if you cant stretch your budget. I'm sure all these car sales places are flooded with cars in your price range. Dont get me wrong I dont work for any car sales place, infact I work for a car dealership dealing in high end vehicles. And I don't have any political agenda.

:speechless-smiley-004: hard to understand all these logic and economics. All i know is i advanced for a car after riding 3 tax revisions and they tell me for my 7.60Mn car i have to pay 11Mn while i hv already paid 0.50Mn and opened the LC also (Mind you all with hard earned money to which the all applicable government taxes have been paid to). all this with parliamentarians getting tax free vehicles like Discovery Vogue, BMW 7 series etc in order to serve us constituents faster whilst hoarding black money, drug trading, commission taking etc etc..

Oh well all my education on economics didnt prepare me for this kind of decision making.

A little advance notice would have stopped me from ordering the new car and selling my Vitz (of course driving the Vitz for 05 years whilst collecting money to buy a new car before im too old) and being in this mess and also me starting this thread and getting hammered left and right with conspiracy theories. :sport-smiley-027:

Yes, As people say there is a motive of the Govenment for this increase.

That motive is to raise funds from people for their new cycle of vehicle fleet for parliamentarians. That is why they introduced least increases for Merc & BMW.

Now people who voted for them ( including Consolidated joint opposition) recommend them to purchase Honda Vezel. It has good Ground clearance too

Honda is willing to introduce Bullet Proof kits for it's Vezels specially for Sri Lanka. Good people's vehicle for country's economy minded persons.

Why Mercs/BMW7/Prado for them?. Get Honda Vezel :sport-smiley-027::speechless-smiley-006::sport-smiley-004:

Are you on drugs mate? Wtf are you talking? Average speed is 12, more time on road, no FCY in the country, and on top of that you want evey lankan to go for an environmental friendly hybrid. Jeesh man.....

Probably mudalalis and politicos can not understand the mathematics.

And now they send me a mail saying its not 11Mn its 12Mn.

Vezels for parliamentarians? are you mad? then i will have to sell my Vezel also or els i will also become a bada mahatha pimpiya from diyawannawa

:sad-smiley-067:

I say if you have as much education on economics as you say, then your first assumption should have been that you could NOT be sure of what the government would do next on the taxation front.

Also, the best course of action would be to stop fussing about your lost brand new 6 and take a look on the used market. If you hurry, you should be able to get a used one within your budget even now. Or are you one of "those" people who want a new registration plate and nothing else?

oh well

1.I do not fuss on my lost opportunity in buying a vehicle at lower cost. Im just commenting along the flow of the thread and i am perfectly able to manage along with my wife's Vezel and by bus now and then. Just that i now have to delay or forget a long harbored aspiration to buy something like Mazda 6 is a dissapointment.

2. If you go to the top of this thread, actually i am the first person to raise the possibility of tax increase although actual increase amount i did not know and i was hammered left and right on that. predicting these types of increases is actually not economics its actually political and social science because these are not done by economists on a economic line of thinking.

3.Yes you are correct. After my Swift 2004 which i bought in 2011 lost one of its wheels between kottawa and homagama i decided never again to buy a used car. So i bought a Vitz unregistered imported through one of my clients and same with vezel.

4.Even if i did want to buy a 6 i didnt see any in online sites and none are in the market.

BTW does anyone have an idea on how much an Honda Accord Hybrid cost?

Edited by Quiet

oh well

1.I do not fuss on my lost opportunity in buying a vehicle at lower cost. Im just commenting along the flow of the thread and i am perfectly able to manage along with my wife's Vezel and by bus now and then. Just that i now have to delay or forget a long harbored aspiration to buy something like Mazda 6 is a dissapointment.

2. If you go to the top of this thread, actually i am the first person to raise the possibility of tax increase although actual increase amount i did not know and i was hammered left and right on that. predicting these types of increases is actually not economics its actually political and social science because these are not done by economists on a economic line of thinking.

3.Yes you are correct. After my Swift 2004 which i bought in 2011 lost one of its wheels between kottawa and homagama i decided never again to buy a used car. So i bought a Vitz unregistered imported through one of my clients and same with vezel.

4.Even if i did want to buy a 6 i didnt see any in online sites and none are in the market.

For f#ck's sake... u say you lost a wheel of a car because it was bought second hand???

Or is it because you didn't do basic maintenance of the bloody thing?

What you need is a dose of common sense, not economics and political science...

• Like 7

That sounds like an interesting story...care to share ? Where did it break from ?

On the other hand....now a days it is a bit easier to get independent reports on a vehicle before you buy it. As we all know there is a company solely dedicated to check cars and there are specialized garages apart from the agents that do checks on cars.

True....as the car gets older there are more components that fail..however, a used Mazda 6 is not that old....saw a black 2014 mazda 6 for sale on the quick site week or so ago...it might still be there....

I seriously doubt the Accord Hybrid would be that much cheaper than the 6...granted having driven both the Mazda 6 is a much funner car to drive (sorry but the Accord Hybrid is now a bit more towards the comfy barge side than the old sporty car of the past)

commenting without inquiring about facts.

I wonder if a vehicle will loose a wheel if basic maintenance is not done. I am a finance professional and have next to nothing knowledge of vehicle mechanics. so i believe i bought a vehicle which had met with some kind of accident.

So next vehicle i bought was from a trusted friend and was reconditioned. (I only changed tyres, battery and normal changes in service for 5 years)

i believe Vezel was close to brand new and its just over one year now.

Preempting the next assault i did get some advise from some guy before purchase and obviously it didn't work so its my decision to buy new vehicles and nobody need to dwell on that or on my common sense because id rather be uncommon than to answer to people who are common on sense and short on information :sad-smiley-066:

There are very few in the country as i am aware.

And i have only seen one registered car being advertised on the quick site.

You can forget the unregistered ones because even though customs cannot decide the tax value, the sales people have done that for the already imported cars :)

I wonder if a vehicle will loose a wheel if basic maintenance is not done. I am a finance professional and have next to nothing knowledge of vehicle mechanics. so i believe i bought a vehicle which had met with some kind of accident.

Yes.

If basic maintenance like checking tyre pressure isnt done you would have driven on an deflated wheel and the tyre could be ripped to shreds.

If basic maintenance like making sure your lugnuts are not tight, the wheel can come off and roll away

If basic maintenance like attending to a completely worn out bearing isnt done wheel and hub can come off.

we can go on, but why dont you just tell us the story; it will save everyone the time and hassle of guessing

• Like 1

That sounds like an interesting story...care to share ? Where did it break from ?

On the other hand....now a days it is a bit easier to get independent reports on a vehicle before you buy it. As we all know there is a company solely dedicated to check cars and there are specialized garages apart from the agents that do checks on cars.

True....as the car gets older there are more components that fail..however, a used Mazda 6 is not that old....saw a black 2014 mazda 6 for sale on the quick site week or so ago...it might still be there....

I seriously doubt the Accord Hybrid would be that much cheaper than the 6...granted having driven both the Mazda 6 is a much funner car to drive (sorry but the Accord Hybrid is now a bit more towards the comfy barge side than the old sporty car of the past)

Well i changed my tyres from that joint just after Kottawa in the bend. The guy told me there is a small play in from tyres and to get it checked before wheel alignment. When i turned on to the main road the driver side wheel just went on its own way.

Luckily there is a garage next to the tyre place. It had separated from a sort of ball joint in the lower arm. I replaced both arms bought from A*W. The guy at the garage told me it is an accident vehicle. So i promptly sold the vehicle for a lower price and a guy who buy and sell vehicles came and paid cash, dunno what happened next to the vehicle.

I do my normal servicing at a place called Carepoint at Ja-Ela

Well i changed my tyres from that joint just after Kottawa in the bend. The guy told me there is a small play in from tyres and to get it checked before wheel alignment. When i turned on to the main road the driver side wheel just went on its own way.

Luckily there is a garage next to the tyre place. It had separated from a sort of ball joint in the lower arm. I replaced both arms bought from A*W. The guy at the garage told me it is an accident vehicle. So i promptly sold the vehicle for a lower price and a guy who buy and sell vehicles came and paid cash, dunno what happened next to the vehicle.

I do my normal servicing at a place called Carepoint at Ja-Ela

Story seems plausible but i find it funny that it happened just moments after you left the tyre shop. I'm guessing you were by your car the entire time? odd indeed.

That being said you do realize that there's no "reconditioning" done of vehicles coming from japan right? And it could just as well have had an accident in japan. Only difference is that instead of a sweaty black ass sitting on your vesel seat it was a Japanese ass.

And I see we've also arrived at the real root cause of all the whining, the "brand new car is best" mentality, which has no relation to actual fact. Should have guessed it when the Vezel was mentioned...

or rather "new to sri lanka"

You have the right to stay on your opinion, as its your car and your money after all. No offense, but I don't think 90% of the members here will agree with this.

There is a process to buying a used car, there is a thread here on A/L on that and plenty of videos on youtube as well. You knowing nothing about mechanics of a vehicle is not an excuse for choosing a car that has met with an accident. You're supposed to do your research and take a proper person who knows his way around cars to properly inspect a vehicle if you care about the safety of yourself and your family. By a proper person, I don't mean a "maka bass" who you can find at some random garage down the road.

If you still can't be sure, take the vehicle to the agents and have a proper inspection done and voila, you will have a complete list of the parts that need to replaced and the true condition of the vehicle.

Its pathetic how you're whining about a 2004 Swift which was only 7 years old by 2011, when people actually end up buying cars which are 20-30 years old, used by several owners and still manage to run them properly because they do the "basic" maintenance.

Edited by maxxarox
  • Like 1

So next vehicle i bought was from a trusted friend and was reconditioned. (I only changed tyres, battery and normal changes in service for 5 years)

i believe Vezel was close to brand new and its just over one year now.

Preempting the next assault i did get some advise from some guy before purchase and obviously it didn't work so its my decision to buy new vehicles and nobody need to dwell on that or on my common sense because id rather be uncommon than to answer to people who are common on sense and short on information :sad-smiley-066:

My my, isn't someone getting quite butthurt....

Getting "some advice from some guy" is NOT the same as giving a vehicle a proper inspection at an authority that will take responsibility for their opinion. In the case of a new-ish car like a 6, it's more than likely that there will be a chunk of the manufacturer's warranty still remaining to take care of any peace of mind issues and anyway it's basically almost a new car so unless it's been crashed badly there aren't many problems you are likely to have (an agent inspection will tell you everything you need to know about the condition).

And I see we've also arrived at the real root cause of all the whining, the "brand new car is best" mentality, which has no relation to actual fact. Should have guessed it when the Vezel was mentioned...

Do you know that vehicles that met with accidents in Japan are brought down, repaired and are put up for sale as "unregistered" and that people like you who hunt down after the "unregistered" word will get caught?

These vehicles are more likely to lose all the 4 wheels at once instead of just one ;)

Edited by maxxarox
  • Like 4

oh well

Machan what happened to your paper ad for sale Vitz.What is the 2nd hand value now.has it dropped...or What

well for one i bought the vehicles from a very reliable party.

Secondly the Vezel was manufactured in Nov 2014 and we imported in Dec 2014. I believe its almost brand new and i did order a customized one with some stuff added from the original Honda Vezel brochure including different colour to black and tan. (Black and beige)