• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tax Change On Vehicles

Quiet

Am i the only one here who is in favor of this taxing? this means there is opertunity for importing more Kei cars and cars like Vitz/Swift and so on for people who preffers buying Non hybrid cars.

Hmmm..I wish...in case of non-hybrid kei cars; wouldn't the 150% of value always be greater than Rs.1500x660?

• Like 1

I think rather than commenting on good or bad, better to grab some opportunity to upgrade the car..I think people who were dreaming of Aqua can now settle down with Vitz and Passo ..And even Vezel lovers have got second chance to get them with a bit reduced price.

How would this affect insurance policies? For example a friend purchased an X-trail for 8.5 a few weeks ago. Will he need to revise his policy to reflect the new market price in case the car is totalled?

How would this affect insurance policies? For example a friend purchased an X-trail for 8.5 a few weeks ago. Will he need to revise his policy to reflect the new market price in case the car is totalled?

Yes. He should get a valuation first and then inform the insurance company to revise his policy.

I think rather than commenting on good or bad, better to grab some opportunity to upgrade the car..I think people who were dreaming of Aqua can now settle down with Vitz and Passo ..And even Vezel lovers have got second chance to get them with a bit reduced price.

And this here illustrates the problem with the typical Sri Lankan car buyer... The relentless quest to "upgrade" to keep up with the Perera's and De Silva's down the street. What is wrong with maybe taking care of the car you have already, putting in a bit of effort into maintaining it right and keeping it cosmetically sharp? I suppose this sort of thing must not compute for you lot eh? For you it's all about the "upgrade" isn't it?

And this here illustrates the problem with the typical Sri Lankan car buyer... The relentless quest to "upgrade" to keep up with the Perera's and De Silva's down the street. What is wrong with maybe taking care of the car you have already, putting in a bit of effort into maintaining it right and keeping it cosmetically sharp? I suppose this sort of thing must not compute for you lot eh? For you it's all about the "upgrade" isn't it?

Totally agreed....

Today I inquired the price of a Alto 800 they quoted me 1.79M. After one hours time another guy called me and informed that still they are working on the new price and new scheme is still unclear to them.

It was mentioned that Rs.1500 will be charged per cc of the engine as manufacturing tax for cars not exceeding 1,000cc (new and old both). I can't understand why people at A*W can't do a basic calculation.

It was mentioned that Rs.1500 will be charged per cc of the engine as manufacturing tax for cars not exceeding 1,000cc (new and old both). I can't understand why people at A*W can't do a basic calculation.

It is not a basic calculation when it comes to total tax figure because when the excise duty is changed as in this case the tax base for VAT, PAL and NBT also change but still they should be able to do the calculation. Check the formula given in http://www.customs.gov.lk/tariff/formula_2011.pdf

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 2

It is not a basic calculation when it comes to total tax figure because when the excise duty is changed as in this case the tax base for VAT, PAL and NBT also change but still they should be able to do the calculation. Check the formula given in http://www.customs.gov.lk/tariff/formula_2011.pdf

Thanks for providing the formula Rumesh, it still looks basic to me provided the values and formula are given.

Today I inquired the price of a Alto 800 they quoted me 1.79M. After one hours time another guy called me and informed that still they are working on the new price and new scheme is still unclear to them.

These are the latest prices according to A*W:

LXI M/T - 20.15 lakhs

VXI M/T - 21.10 lakhs

K10 VXI M/T - 24.95 lakhs

K10 VXI A/T - 26.20 lakhs

Thanks for providing the formula Rumesh, it still looks basic to me provided the values and formula are given.

These are the latest prices according to A*W:

LXI M/T - 20.15 lakhs

VXI M/T - 21.10 lakhs

K10 VXI M/T - 24.95 lakhs

K10 VXI A/T - 26.20 lakhs

I smell bullshit

This is a country which has nor long term vision neither long term planning. Heading with abrupt planning, PM doesn't know what FM doing, President doesn't know what PM and FM doing. At the end everyone of us have to pay the bill who ever comes to the power.

It is the high time SL needs a well planned sustainable solution for this ever growing transport problem. For an example,road network connecting the greater Colombo was built more than four decades ago. This system has been over loaded long time ago. Current average speed in Colombo city limits is 12 Km/h. Regardless of type of vehicle you are taking, more time is spent on lagging on the road. I hope you can imagine the loss to the country's economy and damage to the environment due to longer idling times and frequent accelerations. Top on this it is ridiculous why government is still discouraging more economical and environmental friendly options such as hybrid and electric vehicles, why policies are not updated to encourage the heavy vehicles run by LNG.

It is pretty clear government is running out the foreign reserves. But its not the right option to fix it by passing the burden on general public.

This is a country which has nor long term vision neither long term planning. Heading with abrupt planning, PM doesn't know what FM doing, President doesn't know what PM and FM doing. At the end everyone of us have to pay the bill who ever comes to the power.

It is the high time SL needs a well planned sustainable solution for this ever growing transport problem. For an example,road network connecting the greater Colombo was built more than four decades ago. This system has been over loaded long time ago. Current average speed in Colombo city limits is 12 Km/h. Regardless of type of vehicle you are taking, more time is spent on lagging on the road. I hope you can imagine the loss to the country's economy and damage to the environment due to longer idling times and frequent accelerations. Top on this it is ridiculous why government is still discouraging more economical and environmental friendly options such as hybrid and electric vehicles, why policies are not updated to encourage the heavy vehicles run by LNG.

It is pretty clear government is running out the foreign reserves. But its not the right option to fix it by passing the burden on general public.

Sure...ok...

Are you on drugs mate? Wtf are you talking? Average speed is 12, more time on road, no FCY in the country, and on top of that you want evey lankan to go for an environmental friendly hybrid. Jeesh man.....

what's up with these loooooong tirades and BIG words on this thread.??? Let me have a go too...

:sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

Government spending budget tax cuts deficit trade involves hybrid molestation backward positioning of global economy based on foreign reserves anal thrombosis administration of pubic bleaching agents have revolved manifestation of amendments towards procrastination of prostrate gland surgery and forces the common man to enforce trade embargos on lumbargo treatment.

Seriously folks I'm not a fan of that old geezer John A (who talks like a camel on weed) but he did have a point when he said 'buying cars is like a competition and that everyone is buying a car and there are too many cars on the road' - it was not the way to talk for a representative of the govt but that crass dumb statement (made by a prize clown) had some truth to it.

Some people actually buy cars for no apparent reason :speechless-smiley-004: and some who drive like 10km per month end up buying a hybrid when they could have been better off buying a good old barge like a cefiro and did they buy an aqua because they are concerned that their monthly 10km trip will hurt the environment??

I mean do those pol mudalalis or malu mudalalis who buy 'Visel' and 'akshio' and 'payas' give a rats fart about the environment??

• Like 8

what's up with these loooooong tirades and BIG words on this thread.??? Let me have a go too...

:sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

Government spending budget tax cuts deficit trade involves hybrid molestation backward positioning of global economy based on foreign reserves anal thrombosis administration of pubic bleaching agents have revolved manifestation of amendments towards procrastination of prostrate gland surgery and forces the common man to enforce trade embargos on lumbargo treatment.

Seriously folks I'm not a fan of that old geezer John A (who talks like a camel on weed) but he did have a point when he said 'buying cars is like a competition and that everyone is buying a car and there are too many cars on the road' - it was not the way to talk for a representative of the govt but that crass dumb statement (made by a prize clown) had some truth to it.

Some people actually buy cars for no apparent reason :speechless-smiley-004: and some who drive like 10km per month end up buying a hybrid when they could have been better off buying a good old barge like a cefiro and did they buy an aqua because they are concerned that their monthly 10km trip will hurt the environment??

I mean do those pol mudalalis or malu mudalalis who buy 'Visel' and 'akshio' and 'payas' give a rats fart about the environment??

Agreed, to sum it all up majority of Sri Lankans want all the benefits in the world and pretend to live in a "developed" country but very few are willing to make sacrifices and work hard to actually develop this country.

It's all about me, my car and my house. Who gives a sh$t about the countries economy? I want a car for cheap and I want it now, f&ck the country and it's foreign reserves!

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 3

This tax increase and the people joining the bandwagon about vehicle prices going up is certainly amusing.

If any one wants to buy a vehicle there are vehicles in the market (at car sales) which were bought in to the country long before any of these tax revisions, the people who are crying about the tax revisions seem to be the same car sale mudalali's who want to jack up the prices.

Didnt the Car Importers Association go on record and say that they wont import any cars from Japan for another year? So why cry? I believe they knew about this and wanted to sell their existing stock and persuaded the FM to impose higher taxes until the one year is up. (This is my assumption)

They jacked up prices after the VAT fiasco I assume, but little does the general public know that there is no implication on cars from the VAT revision as there is no input VAT on vehicles when imported.

For those who know me personally they know for whom I work and I can tell you now that we are not affected by a tax increase on vehicles as we pay a higher duty on our cars than what they talk of, and if we go according the theory of the VIASL, the Dailymirror and all then our prices have to come down. You guys know how the customs works its always which ever is higher so contrary to the predictions, for what the duty has been reduced it will remain the same.

Biggest hit will be for the Japanese BN and Used, Korean and Indian cars, whilst the used / 3rd party European car importers.

• Like 4

:speechless-smiley-004: hard to understand all these logic and economics. All i know is i advanced for a car after riding 3 tax revisions and they tell me for my 7.60Mn car i have to pay 11Mn while i hv already paid 0.50Mn and opened the LC also (Mind you all with hard earned money to which the all applicable government taxes have been paid to). all this with parliamentarians getting tax free vehicles like Discovery Vogue, BMW 7 series etc in order to serve us constituents faster whilst hoarding black money, drug trading, commission taking etc etc..

Oh well all my education on economics didnt prepare me for this kind of decision making.

A little advance notice would have stopped me from ordering the new car and selling my Vitz (of course driving the Vitz for 05 years whilst collecting money to buy a new car before im too old) and being in this mess and also me starting this thread and getting hammered left and right with conspiracy theories. :sport-smiley-027:

Edited by Quiet