• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Much You Paying For Three Wheelers - Reflect Of The Issue Of Public Transportation

gayanath

Following slide (slide 35) is quoted from "STRATEGIC PLAN FOR TRANSPORT MANAGEMENT IN COLOMBO METROPOLITAN REGION (CMR) - MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT - PREPARED WITH TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FROM JICA, JAPAN AND REVIEWED FOR IMPLEMENTATION BY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT & LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT, UNIVERSITY OF MORATUWA - 06/2015" http://blog.ciltsl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-06-24-CILT-Workshop.pdf

Quote....

Regulation of Three Wheelers

Industry Status

· Currently around 600,000 three wheelers in Sri Lanka.

· Used for (a) private use; ( B) private hire with and © without meters or (d) partial for hire vehicles.

· Supply driven industry prompted by unemployment among early school leavers and OL leavers.

· It is an acceptable social status.

· The industry is cartelized in most cases.

· Market regulation is complex.

· Their pricing is inefficient. Seat km cost around Rs 40.

· Households pay Rs 250 billion p.a. for 3 wheeler use. Cost of bus and railway industry is only 1/3 of this.

...... unquote.

The last line is the most interesting thing.

If our annual cost for railway and bus industry is Rs. 84 billion,

1. why can't we pay another 100 billion for well organized luxury bus and train service,

2. reduce the three wheel cost by 200 billion (50 billion may further required for nearest bus top to home travel),

3. keep our cars at home and it will further reduce huge transport cost

4. Live in calm and quite city with zero traffic congestion.

Sri Lankan people go into debt upto their noses to buy a car and impress friends and neighbors around. And the rude,low quality service of bus drivers is not helping. The only way to restrict car use in cities is to strictly enforce parking rules and make paid parking also expensive. Companies could discourage car use by removing offices' parking facilities except for the highest ranking employees.Fuel allowance should be cancelled,and replaced with a public transport allowance. A more modern way to reduce traffic is to introduce flexible hours and home office. Otherwise even if we have the best subway,people will still drive cars to work.

Most three wheelers that are not running via a taxi company charge 40/- per km and are unattractive now given some nanos charge as low as 40-42/- with better safety, AC and better capacity. Some tuk companies charge as low as 30/- too. Generally people are unaware of the per km charge (in addition to tampered meters) and think if it has a meter they are charged fine.

coming to the point of diverting the funds to improve public transport, it's only a section of the population that uses tuks regularly. Car owners (exc those who bought to impress the neighbor) will be willing to pay more for better quality public transport, but the majority who use these (specially trains) as low cost option will protest. But I agree this is something that must be done - charge higher and provide better service.

What happened to the AC bus service by CTB and Micro? Are they still running?

I find using taxis via 'pick me' is very economical than taxi meter fare. Since the distance and fare is calculated by the app (believe its using google maps) I guess there is no chance for drivers to fiddle with the distance/fare.

Some 3wheelers got both taxi meter and the pick me devise and few times I've got the driver to switch on both and there was a significant difference in distance and fare. They said Google distance is wrong!

I find using taxis via 'pick me' is very economical than taxi meter fare. Since the distance and fare is calculated by the app (believe its using google maps) I guess there is no chance for drivers to fiddle with the distance/fare. Some 3wheelers got both taxi meter and the pick me devise and few times I've got the driver to switch on both and there was a significant difference in distance and fare. They said Google distance is wrong!

thats a classic one saying Google is wrong!

Hmm, I think until there is a solution to the flooding problem,expanding trains into subway is not a good idea.a flash flood in a subway is worse than terrorist attack. Colombo needs a major overhaul of infrastructure first,as this flooding reveals.

• Like 1