• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Decent Internet Speed 1Mbps?

Iced-T

it wont matter as long as you are getting the full 1Mbps.. emails and youtube wont take much speed ( currently youtube only loads 50% initial load), but yeah for skype as it relies on constant network connection

it wont matter as long as you are getting the full 1Mbps.. emails and youtube wont take much speed ( currently youtube only loads 50% initial load), but yeah for skype as it relies on constant network connection

I am looking at the lankabell 1mpbs connection that has unlimited data. Any idea if this is a good connection?

I am looking at the lankabell 1mpbs connection that has unlimited data. Any idea if this is a good connection?

As the topic states will a 1Mbps internet connection suffice for 3 users? or will the connection be too slow?

The basic usage is for some skyping, emails, and youtube.

L****bell is not a bad network, it has gained some reputation during the past few years, but is slightly behind S*T and D*alog at the moment in my opinion.

This is a small marketing gimmick that the average user doesn't understand. When referring to download and upload speeds, the term "Mbps" is used and when referring to transferring files the term "MBps" is used.

Mbps = Mega bits per second

MBps = Mega bytes per second

The package you're referring to here offers a 1Mbps downlink line, so theoretically it will take you 8 seconds to download a 1MB file. Therefore the internet connection speed you will be actually getting is 0.125MBps (Mega Bytes per second).

Practically, the time will be around 10-15 seconds as you cannot get a constant speed due to several factors such as distance from the network station to your home, quality of cables used, latency delays, bandwidth controlling etc.

So basically a 1 Mbps connection will not be sufficient for 3 simulataneous users for the activities you have mentioned. It may be sufficient for 1 user, but he/she will have to spend some extra time buffering the Youtube videos.

May I ask why you're specifically looking for a unlimited connection? There are several service providers who provide 16Mbps (which is basically 2MBps) for 60GB per month (30GB peak and 30GB off peak) for half the monthly rental of the L*****bell package you have mentioned above. The internet has long developed since the dial-up days, with HD videos and large file sizes becoming prominent, so try to get a faster connection.

Edited by maxxarox
  • Like 2

I actually have the slt 30+30 package. This is not enough for us. I am looking at enhancing the data volume at a reasonable cost.

One other package I am looking at is the lankabell 4G which gives 25gb+25gb at 950Rs per month for 4Mbps download.

I like to know whether this package would be good enough.

I actually have the slt 30+30 package. This is not enough for us. I am looking at enhancing the data volume at a reasonable cost.

One other package I am looking at is the lankabell 4G which gives 25gb+25gb at 950Rs per month for 4Mbps download.

That's a better option if you're adding this while keeping your existing connection. Yes, 4Mbps would be sufficient, provided all the 3 users don't use youtube/skype simultanously.

Edited by maxxarox
  • Like 1

All that matters is how far you are sitting from the nearest base station (BTS) and the line of sight between you and the BTS. Search for the operator who has the closest base station to your house and choose that one. Be aware that if you are sitting right under the BTS (or the BTS is next door), the signal stength might not be that great though. Electromagnetic signals lose their amplitude exponentially as they propogate. If they pass through a wall, they usually lose their amplitude by about 100 times. You can get good signal quality (and subsequently good data rates) by proper placement of the device. In essence, Lanka Bell 4G might be the best connection in the world for some but it may be awful for another person depending on their location and the nearest BTS.

Generally all operators in this country have almost same level of international bandwidth, except SLT who has more but they still have congestion due to connecting some of the other operators (Airtel, for example).

• Like 1

1mbps is painful. I remember back in 2004 when all I had was 512k. Do you have fibre in your area? I know Nugegoda is slowly getting it.

Yes, I spoke with SLT.. they said fibre is available but I will need to pay 7500Rs for them to connect it up. They will also need to come down for an inspection.

I am wondering.. if I get the fibre connection and once it drops down to 64kbps... shouldnt I be getting a faster 64kbps than what I am getting now?

fyi. I am using the normal 64kbps connection to send this message. I have run out of data :(

SLT's fibre optic logic: You get 30GB peak with constant 75-100Mbps, but as soon as you run out data, the fibre optic turns into a 90s a dial-up connection.

So theoretically, you can spend your entire 60GB within 1.4 hours and use the entire other month at 64kbps.

• Like 2

SLT's fibre optic logic: You get 30GB peak with constant 75-100Mbps, but as soon as you run out data, the fibre optic turns into a 90s a dial-up connection.

So theoretically, you can spend your entire 60GB within 1.4 hours and use the entire other month at 64kbps.

haha .. thats exactly how it would happen. A faster connection speed invariably will consume more data.

Dialogs is offering a 25+25gb for 1400Rs (per month) +2900Rs connection fee. I get 4G speeds on dialog for my mobile at home and its pretty good.

where as the same package with lankabell is 950Rs (per month) + 2000Rs connection fee.

Lankabel looks good cost wise, but I am wondering about the performance. Anyone has experience with the lankabell 4G broadband?

Edited by Iced-T

Lanka Bell is whole selling that 4G connection these days . They are being sold quicker than lunch packets down at the Pettah Main Street.

Few of my friends bought it. Not bad according to them. But few others complained about signal dropping during weekends and occasional slowness in peak hours.

I'm using the Dialog 4G and I'm very satisfied with it. Can stream HD movies without any issue. Only downside is that 25 GB for a 4G connection is like a fart in a hurricane, you can't match the usage. For example one movie on Netflix would burn about 4.5 GBs of Data.

• Like 1

Lanka Bell is whole selling that 4G connection these days . They are being sold quicker than lunch packets down at the Pettah Main Street.

Few of my friends bought it. Not bad according to them. But few others complained about signal dropping during weekends and occasional slowness in peak hours.

I'm using the Dialog 4G and I'm very satisfied with it. Can stream HD movies without any issue. Only downside is that 25 GB for a 4G connection is like a fart in a hurricane, you can't match the usage. For example one movie on Netflix would burn about 4.5 GBs of Data.

Why Netflix? Go pirateflix!

haha .. thats exactly how it would happen. A faster connection speed invariably will consume more data.

Dialogs is offering a 25+25gb for 1400Rs (per month) +2900Rs connection fee. I get 4G speeds on dialog for my mobile at home and its pretty good.

where as the same package with lankabell is 950Rs (per month) + 2000Rs connection fee.

Lankabel looks good cost wise, but I am wondering about the performance. Anyone has experience with the lankabell 4G broadband?

Fibreoptic is too overkill considering the data cap we're given. Even 4G speeds would finish up the 30GB quickly, but that's a better balance between speed and data volume.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Sierra Charlie" data-cid="292424" data-time="1463500161"><p>

<br />

Why Netflix? Go pirateflix! </p></blockquote>

Yes yes pieratebay all the way.

Wanted to watch Netflix and chill.. :P

The only reason to upgrade to fiber for us home users would be the connection stability, from the lack of analogue attenuation, loose connections and other things a copper wire is associated with. And hopefully SLT will eventually allow for HD voice calls as well.

Netflix is pretty good, I've got the basic 7.99 package and I prefer it to the HBO channels we get here.

Yes, I spoke with SLT.. they said fibre is available but I will need to pay 7500Rs for them to connect it up. They will also need to come down for an inspection.

I am wondering.. if I get the fibre connection and once it drops down to 64kbps... shouldnt I be getting a faster 64kbps than what I am getting now?

L

fyi. I am using the normal 64kbps connection to send this message. I have run out of data :(

Last Year they charged me 15000 for fiber connection (triple play), that is already half price during the promo period.

Biggest difference with the fiber connection is that PeoTV is flow less esp when you watch past programmes.

What they don't tell you is that you get a new telephone with new number (triple play) and until now they don't have a solution to swap your old number with the new number. So either you can cancel the old number or keep it together with the new number and pay for both.

Last Year they charged me 15000 for fiber connection (triple play), that is already half price during the promo period. Biggest difference with the fiber connection is that PeoTV is flow less esp when you watch past programmes. What they don't tell you is that you get a new telephone with new number (triple play) and until now they don't have a solution to swap your old number with the new number. So either you can cancel the old number or keep it together with the new number and pay for both.

SLT guys came to my place yesterday and told us they will give us a new fibre connection and will swap the new number with the old one. This will take about a week to 10 days as they have to attend to breakdowns due to the floods.

Once the swap is made and the old number moves to the fibre line.... I then see no reason in not canceling the old line with the new number.

The fibre connection cost is 7500Rs (apparently promotion for this month) . Going fibre is only possible if a distribution point is close to the location.

Edited by Iced-T

SLT guys came to my place yesterday and told us they will give us a new fibre connection and will swap the new number with the old one. This will take about a week to 10 days as they have to attend to breakdowns due to the floods.

Once the swap is made and the old number moves to the fibre line.... I then see no reason in not canceling the old line with the new number.

The fibre connection cost is 7500Rs (apparently promotion for this month) . Going fibre is only possible if a distribution point is close to the location.

It's good if they do that. Trust me despite my calling, emailing and little visiting campaign, still they are unable to swap the numbers. I even made friends with one kind and very good looking lady in the office. Finally she asked me to write a request for fee waiver for the old copper line and that is the solution for this issue at the moment. That also for 6months period and they expect you to propagate the new number so you can cancel the old number.

Keeping an additional line is not a big problem anyway..