• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius

Iced-T

Question

What do u guys think about the new Toyota Prius?

Will this car be a good daily runner?

can it survive the hardship and perils of our Lankan roads?!?! there seems to be a lot of computers inside.

Also has anyone driven a vehicle with the information displayed in the center of the vehicle? Is possible to get used to that?

I do about 50km per day. I do not like stopping at petrol sheds. I want something super quiet, comfy as possible and a big boot.

Also, what are the other options that I have?

Hybrids are only quiet when running on EV mode, when the engine starts it sounds like freaking lawnmower. If you are looking only for hybrids the axio would be another choice, has descent boot space and reasonably comfortable.

• Like 1

Hybrids are only quiet when running on EV mode, when the engine starts it sounds like freaking lawnmower. If you are looking only for hybrids the axio would be another choice, has descent boot space and reasonably comfortable.

This car has a CVT gear box tho.. shouldnt it be quiet?

I drive a lot on the highway .. i just want it to be as quiet as possible wen i am traveling at highway speeds.

I am not really concerned if the car is a hybrid or not (my company pays for the fuel cost) ... but a good fuel consumption is a bonus as I dont need to go in and out of petrol sheds all the time.

The quietness of a car has more to do with the amount of sound deadening material used, thickness of panels, thickness of metal & glass used and aerodynamics (Also tires) rather than the actual engine and gearbox. In which case the prius should be pretty bad since it's an eco car made to be light as possible (other than the aerodynamic part).

If you need quietness and refinement buy a euro, you can buy a decent ride like an 2011 A4 diesel for arround the same price you pay for a that uglya## prius.

• Like 2

but a good fuel consumption is a bonus as I dont need to go in and out of petrol sheds all the time.

Well speaking about fuel consumption, I don't think you need to go in and out of petrol sheds all the time even if you drive a chrysler or whatever falling in to that category. All you need to do is to make it full tank ( As such vehicles equipped with the matching fuel tank) and maintain as you drive.

Anyway, Let me kindly share an experience I had with a diesel hybrid car.

One day, someone I know visited my house with his Mercedes-Benz car which was recently bought with Blue-tech technology & it was Diesel. The car was luxury but I hated its noise because it was quiet until EV mode is on but very ugly sound when the engine is powered up. To be honest, it was a bit lower to my 4DR5. LOL. I kind of disappointed with Mercedes-Benz engineering about Diesel hybrid. ( I don't know how fair it is to others :) )

If I had your concern, I go with Premio Or Allion or Leaf (Upgraded version with longer range)

• Like 1

People judge that diesels are noisy by idling.But it's quite unfair.In fact they are quieter at highway speeds compared to any petrol one. Because of lower RPM(2500 vs 4500?).Man I love that cruising feeling.

• Like 3

People judge that diesels are noisy by idling.But it's quite unfair.In fact they are quieter at highway speeds compared to any petrol one. Because of lower RPM(2500 vs 4500?).Man I love that cruising feeling.

yeah I remember my dad having a diesel Sunny (SB13) many years back it was actually quiet enough on hi speeds/cruising. But when idling (and when inside the garage with walls ) it sounded like a god damn Nisssan Civillian :D but it wasn't something hateful, Maybe its just me but i love engines that make noise :D (apart from jet engines specially on a long flight)

Edited by matroska

Yes, turbo diesel cars are even quieter once you past 2nd gear.don't even need to hit highway speeds. I remember doing about 70kmph on 4th

gear in country roads,you can't even hear the engine.This is not possible with a petrol car.

This car has a CVT gear box tho.. shouldnt it be quiet?

I drive a lot on the highway .. i just want it to be as quiet as possible wen i am traveling at highway speeds.

Are you sure you don't want you to hear the sound of engine??

• Like 1

Are you sure you don't want you to hear the sound of engine??

I am pretty sure.. :)

I drive from colombo to Negombo 4 to 6 days a week.... its a very very tiring drive. On the colombo side both ways is full of traffic. and on the negombo side its bad roads ( both cases i cant go very fast to enjoy shifting through gears)

The only stretch where there is no traffic is on the highway, and on it I will need to be cruising at 80 or 100kmph ( no real acceleration there either).

I am looking for a quiet car so that I can listen to the radio.. or just relax while cruising along. Something soft to soak up the bumps and which would give me trouble free motoring.

But I am sure if u give the beans to any car it would make a decent sound right? ( I am generally soft on the gas pedal)

I was just suggested by a friend to look at the outlander PHEV.... any thoughts?

The Outlander sounds like overkill for your requirements.I would go for a bit used Euro diesel car,which is super quiet at Highway speeds and also at low speeds inside(better sound proofing in cabin)and way ahead in comfort compared to the Priass.

The Outlander sounds like overkill for your requirements.I would go for a bit used Euro diesel car,which is super quiet at Highway speeds and also at low speeds inside(better sound proofing in cabin)and way ahead in comfort compared to the Priass.

Thank you for your reply... but for the price I pay for the 2nd hand car.. isnt it better to get a brand new car? Plus I know for a fact that euro cars give a lot of problems.. very high maintenance and a lot of electronics... I dont mind considering though if it looks like a good machine... but as I mentioned above.. some of the roads I travel on are really bad. Most of these euro cars are low to the ground too (I think) ... and there is always a fear of someone vandalizing the thing.

Edited by Iced-T

From where do you get this information? Euros age slowly compared to others,at least the German ones.And diesel workhorses are designed to run in harsh conditions,thousands of kms per day.And it's not more expensive than maintenance of a Jap,if you use genuine parts. You just need to find a well maintained one with service history. Most electrical problems come due to wiring,connector issues. German Euro s use higher quality and thicker wires,less prone to rat or weather damage.What I learned when I took my old Audi to install a new head unit,the electrician used to working on new hybrids was surprised by the thickness of wires.

From where do you get this information? Euros age slowly compared to others,at least the German ones.And diesel workhorses are designed to run in harsh conditions,thousands of kms per day.And it's not more expensive than maintenance of a Jap,if you use genuine parts. You just need to find a well maintained one with service history. Most electrical problems come due to wiring,connector issues. German Euro s use higher quality and thicker wires,less prone to rat or weather damage.What I learned when I took my old Audi to install a new head unit,the electrician used to working on new hybrids was surprised by the thickness of wires.

I used to drive an Audi A4 .. year 2000 model... used the car for 15 years (sold it end last year) .... the performance of the car was superb no doubt.. ride and handling was top notch.. But after 5 years of usage it was a money pit. All the rubber around the car started rotting... aircon always gave problems.. ABS unit packed up.. had problems with the gearbox some electronics inside needed replacing.. the dashboard computer was replaced twice!.. people at the service center also had difficulty troubleshooting problems.. to be honest during the latter years.. it was more in the shop than on the road.

My dads 30 plus year old lancer is just gas and go...

I dont know too much about the latest cars and thr reliability.. but japanese vehicles have a reputation.

This time around I will be spending some time doing research before buying something... all input is much appreciated :) ... also it seems that the new prius looks like a no go

Edited by Iced-T

I used to drive an Audi A4 .. year 2000 model... used the car for 15 years (sold it end last year) .... the performance of the car was superb no doubt.. ride and handling was top notch.. But after 5 years of usage it was a money pit. All the rubber around the car started rotting... aircon always gave problems.. ABS unit packed up.. had problems with the gearbox some electronics inside needed replacing.. the dashboard computer was replaced twice!.. people at the service center also had difficulty troubleshooting problems.. to be honest during the latter years.. it was more in the shop than on the road.

I dont know too much about the latest cars and thr reliability.. but japanese vehicles have a reputation.

This time around I will be spending some time doing research before buying something... all input is much appreciated :) ... also it seems that the new prius looks like a no go

Based on the requirements you mentioned in your first post and the fact that you appreciate the driving experience of Euro cars, I believe you will very much enjoy a Mazda 6.

Sounds like everything failed at same time with your Audi?I had quite the opposite experience with my dads Toyota CE100 few years ago.overheating,head cracks,gearbox failure,AC issues... The previous owners must have gone"el cheapo" on services e.g not changing brake fluid,not checking AC gas...so far with the A4,apart from the usual wearable parts,I only had to address an oil seal leak which was done along with new piston rings.

And did you check what will happen if your dads 30year Lancer hit highway speeds? What is more surprising is an ex-Euro driver considering the Prias hoping it to be quieter and more comfortable on the highway ? .But no doubt,When it comes to quality,MB should be best among Euros(except the early 2000 ones with the rust problem). And if the real problem is selling for a higher price after 5years,yes Toyota is your choice. I don't think compromising for a Mazda or Mitsu will get you better resale value than a MB,Beemer or Audi.

Edited by RViji

Based on the requirements you mentioned in your first post and the fact that you appreciate the driving experience of Euro cars, I believe you will very much enjoy a Mazda 6.

Does it fit his quite ride requirement? Generally Mazdas biggest Achilles heel is the road noise. Or has it improved in the 6, how is the road noise at high speeds?

How about a Lexus RX350 Hybrid?

What's your budget?

Does it fit his quite ride requirement? Generally Mazdas biggest Achilles heel is the road noise. Or has it improved in the 6, how is the road noise at high speeds?

The mazdas look very nice... I dont see too many on the road though.

I was watching a few youtube reviews this morning (for the 3 , 6 and CX5), reviewers say that the ride is a bit firm. But the cars are all one of the best in class.

How are the agents?

Do Lexus have agents in SL? I think they will be too expensive for me.

I have not fixed a budget yet.... but I feel like I would most prob spend in the 7-8 mil range (it really depends on the car).

Yes they've worked on improving it significantly. The pre facelift 6 had some noise issues which were addressed in the facelift model. Having been in both I would definitely say it is quiet inside. Certainly more so than a 2000 era Audi. It's also pretty close to the current model Audis (again speaking from personal experience and personal impressions).

The mazdas look very nice... I dont see too many on the road though.

I was watching a few youtube reviews this morning (for the 3 , 6 and CX5), reviewers say that the ride is a bit firm. But the cars are all one of the best in class.

How are the agents?

Do Lexus have agents in SL? I think they will be too expensive for me.

I have not fixed a budget yet.... but I feel like I would most prob spend in the 7-8 mil range (it really depends on the car).

Certainly there aren't as many on the road as Prius', Axio Hybrids and the like (and probably not as many as there are F10 5 series' either!). But there are plenty around, agent has moved over 700 units of the 6 they say. In terms of Ride, the 2.0 model with 17 inch wheels has no issues on our roads. the 2.5 with it's 19s is on the firm side.

Agents have been pretty good so far but only had to deal with routine servicing. (C*lonial Motors that is, not the other one - avoid them at all costs!)

Finally, if you actually enjoy driving and want a fun car, then the 6 will definitely work for you.

Edited by Supra_Natural

What do u guys think about the new Toyota Prius?

Will this car be a good daily runner?

can it survive the hardship and perils of our Lankan roads?!?! there seems to be a lot of computers inside.

Also has anyone driven a vehicle with the information displayed in the center of the vehicle? Is possible to get used to that?

I do about 50km per day. I do not like stopping at petrol sheds. I want something super quiet, comfy as possible and a big boot.

Also, what are the other options that I have?

Get a Leaf. covers your range, no petrol shed stops, very quiet.

Get a Leaf. covers your range, no petrol shed stops, very quiet.

While I highly recomend the Mazda and I very much enjoy every minute traveling in my friends Mazda6 if Silence and zero petrol stations is a huge priority then the Leaf it is.

Any chance your dads Lancer (c12 i assume?) is up for sale :D ???

• Like 2