• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wiper Arms Scratching Glass

Iced-T

Question

I recently gave my Lancer C12 for a paint job. After I got the car back the bottom part of the wiper arm (not the blade) started scratching my glass. This also destroyed the beading around the windshield. I took the car back to the garage and the mechanic over there told me that the nut that connects the wiper arm has to be pulled out more so that the arm does not touch the glass. He needs to carefully do this without breaking the windshield glass and asked me to keep the car there for a whole day.

Is there any adjustment like this? can the lever nut be lifted so that the arm wont scratch the glass?

I personally think that he has connected the wrong wiper arms to my car and now wants to start adjusting things inside.

The car is old and parts are hard to find... any advice is helpful.

23 answers to this question

We don't know what your garage did to end you up in this mess,..It is unlikely that they can get it right as their work got you in this mess,..

Seek help elsewhere.

As the mechanic said,.. you may have to shop for a new windscreen.

TT

Edited by Twin Turbo

We don't know what your garage did to end you up[ in this mess,..It is unlikely that they can get it right as their work got you in this mess,..

Seek help elsewhere.

As the mechanic said,.. you may have to shop for a new windscreen.

TT

Is there tolerance for vertical adjustment in the wiper nut?

Is there tolerance for vertical adjustment in the wiper nut?

Depends on the car. In your case I think the wiper mechanism is bolted onto the body as a unit using a few screws, so unless the entire mechanism is poorly tightened, I don't see why the nut hasn't cleared the body as it should.

I believe your wiper arm struck the windscreen because the arm itself was not properly tightened at the mounting bolt. The spring tends to pop the wiper arm towards the windscreen if the arm is not positioned and tightened properly. This is a very simple thing, and even you can inspect. Just lift the wiper (like when you do when you wash the car) and gently try to move it about to see if it's properly secured. If not, it must be tightened.

Was your car stripped totally (wiper assembly removed) during the body repair?

Depends on the car. In your case I think the wiper mechanism is bolted onto the body as a unit using a few screws, so unless the entire mechanism is poorly tightened, I don't see why the nut hasn't cleared the body as it should.

I believe your wiper arm struck the windscreen because the arm itself was not properly tightened at the mounting bolt. The spring tends to pop the wiper arm towards the windscreen if the arm is not positioned and tightened properly. This is a very simple thing, and even you can inspect. Just lift the wiper (like when you do when you wash the car) and gently try to move it about to see if it's properly secured. If not, it must be tightened.

Was your car stripped totally (wiper assembly removed) during the body repair?

Hi Davy,

Thank u for ur reply....

Yes the car was properly stripped. It was a proper full paint job even the main windshield glass was removed.

The arm is properly secure.

When I lift the wiper and move it not only strikes the beading, but also the plastic cover underneath the windshield glass.

I took a good look at it just now and it seems to me that during the painting process the tinkerer has cut the body and attached a new piece there ( that area must have been heavily corroded). But he has made the piece about 1.5cm recessed into the car. The nut for the wiper arm is therefore recessed into the car as well as it is attached to the body. I just took it back to the shop to show them there work.

They told me to leave the car for 2 days until they can redo the whole thing.

What a shoddy job! I cringe when I see the scratched glass!!!

:sport-smiley-005:

Oh damn. That's just bad. :( Hope they'll be able to properly correct it.

As for the windshield, you can get it polished which might remove the scratch if it's not too deep. Search the forum and you'll find a few places that do it.

Oh damn. That's just bad. :( Hope they'll be able to properly correct it.

As for the windshield, you can get it polished which might remove the scratch if it's not too deep. Search the forum and you'll find a few places that do it.

Whatever happened to uncle Sylvi and his windscreen polishing service? Anybody know?

Whatever happened to uncle Sylvi and his windscreen polishing service? Anybody know?

He doesn't like being called 'uncle' by unrelated individuals, so I'd call him Mr. Sylvi / Mr. Wijesinghe or even just Sylvi as he doesn't seem to mind that...I think.

He doesn't like being called 'uncle' by unrelated individuals, so I'd call him Mr. Sylvi / Mr. Wijesinghe or even just Sylvi as he doesn't seem to mind that...I think.

He's a man with policies that even he doesn't understand at times. No offence intended.

WHERE IS IT ACTUALLY TOUCHING THE WINDSCREEN ? KINDLY UPLOAD A FEW PICS,..

THANKS

TT.

I took the vehicle back to the garage where they did the tinkering and painting.. but they ruined the whole thing. They told me that they were going to just pull the nut out and fix the wiper back but they ended up knocking the top body panel deforming it. :( .... I have no idea where I can get this panel!

I left the car there for 2 days so that they could remove the whole thing and do it properly...they even told me that they would just pull the nut out as it was recessed in the body but they seem to have given me a temporary quick solution! (they know I use this vehicle as a 2nd car .. and I am in no hurry to get it back)

This fix doesnt solve the problem either! I cant fold the wiper upwards it knocks the body. I would like to shame them online but they have been working on this car for the last 20 years... and I know them well (one of my neighbors) . Its sad that they did this to me this time around.

IMG_20160507_071642_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160507_071604.jpg

IMG_20160507_071616.jpg

Edited by Iced-T

Well from the photos (particularly the second one) it looks like they have beaten the panel from inside to cause it to come forward. They probably had trouble accessing the panel from inside the car, so used some pointed tool to beat the panel out. Some next level makabass job.

You don't need to replace the panel, all you need is a good tinkerer with patience and craftsmanship to correct the damage.

As for the windshield, Pretty sure you can polish that out. I guess you will have to live with the damage caused to the beading. You can try applying some gasket maker to seal that crack, so that water doesn't leak in.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Well from the photos (particularly the second one) it looks like they have beaten the panel from inside to cause it to come forward. They probably had trouble accessing the panel from inside the car, so used some pointed tool to beat the panel out. Some next level makabass job.

You don't need to replace the panel, all you need is a good tinkerer with patience and craftsmanship to correct the damage.

As for the windshield, Pretty sure you can polish that out. I guess you will have to live with the damage caused to the beading. You can try applying some gasket maker to seal that crack, so that water doesn't leak in.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I will need to find somebody who understands this properly and will do a proper job.

I will also need to find another C12... and see if they have accidentally fitted the wrong arms.

view from pics inconclusive to accuse your garage of exchanging the wiper-arms.

at least are the wipers stopping parallel to the bottom of the wind screen?are the wipers going out of the windscreen anywhere in their path on the wind screen?

well, at least you can rest in the thought you don't need a new wind screen :speechless-smiley-006:

I's most probably the cause of mis-alignment on re fitting of the wiper mechanism.during re fitting after the repair.

Edited by Twin Turbo

at least are the wipers stopping parallel to the bottom of the wind screen?are the wipers going out of the windscreen anywhere in their path on the wind screen?

well at least you can rest in the thought you don't need a new wind screen :speechless-smiley-006:

I's most probably the cause of mis-alignment on re fitting of the wiper mechanism.during re fitting after the repair.

Today morning as I was taking the pictures I think I noticed that the passenger side wiper blade edge was not resting on the glass... I was rushing as I am working today. Once I get back home I will need to double check.

Both wipers seem to be too big for the car.. I will take another picture tonight and post it up..

• Like 1

well, at least you can rest in the thought you don't need a new wind screen :speechless-smiley-006:

Hi .. these are pics of the passenger side wiper. ..the blade does not rest on the glass! Looks like the wrong arms were installed. This set looks too big for the car.

IMG_20160507_152355.jpg

IMG_20160507_152046_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160507_152002_HDR.jpg

The wiper not following the curvature of the windscreen is due to

1. the wiper blade's self adjusting points are stuck, ( extreme sun exposure)_

2. The wiper arm's tension springs are week.( age related)

Although the wipers look new, get a new set of wipers, any spares shop will stock them as long as the wipers stay within the windscreen wile wiping,all good.

Don't buy fancy brands, they all are made in you know where and get aged with the sun/heat. but it will not solve the prob if the wiper arm is week

Lastly, You've got a good paint job.Regret the garage made a pig's ear of the wipers,,they look genuine to me or at least do the job rite.

Yet another common mistake our mechanics do is switch the left/right wiper arms, causing mega nightmares to the owner . have a good look to the if the base in the lower part of the windscreen wiper arms are alike.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

hello guys,

I had the same issue. Driving at night and rainy days was like killing, I was driving like a blind person with a huge risk sometimes. 

I was about to replace my windscreen. Suddenly found this place near Moratuwa. Took my car at night and he did a small part of the windscreen. Result was amazing. 

Next day I took my car and spend nearly 4-5 hours. All wiper scratches gone. But small chip marks are there which no one can remove. And they applied a Nano coating to protect the glass from Rain (like RainX). Trust me, he did a great job. 

The cost is 5k for the whole glass (it depend on the nature of scratches and size of the glass). 

If you want to contact him, please PM me to get his contact details. 

Cheers !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iced-T said:

Hi @Iroshw

Did they use a compound that looks like this (cerium oxide) ... mix with water and use a buffing tool ?

Regards,

Iced-T 

IMG_20180402_165030.jpg

Not sure, they used something like Cream/Gel with the machine. Also sprayed something when using the machine. They did part by part. 

On 4/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, Iroshw said:

hello guys,

I had the same issue. Driving at night and rainy days was like killing, I was driving like a blind person with a huge risk sometimes. 

I was about to replace my windscreen. Suddenly found this place near Moratuwa. Took my car at night and he did a small part of the windscreen. Result was amazing. 

Next day I took my car and spend nearly 4-5 hours. All wiper scratches gone. But small chip marks are there which no one can remove. And they applied a Nano coating to protect the glass from Rain (like RainX). Trust me, he did a great job. 

The cost is 5k for the whole glass (it depend on the nature of scratches and size of the glass). 

If you want to contact him, please PM me to get his contact details. 

Cheers !

Sent you a PM. Appreciate if you could share the details.