• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gear Shift Issue - Toyota Premio 240

shanakamm

Question

Hi Guys

My Car is Toyota Premio 240/2002 1.8L 4-speed automatic tras. (Not CVT) 120K on the clock.

Recently its not engage the last gear while driving. this is happening intermittently most of the time morning, and sometimes its shifting normally. If i stop the car and change the gears back and forth (P - L ) then the problem goes away most of the time.

Previous owner said he did a gearbox oil change before i purchased the car but not sure about it. The gearbox oil level (engine running and Hot) is normal and the color is bright red, no burnt smell.

do i need to change the oil ?? or anything wrong with a sensors or gearbox itself??

Really appreciate your help

Thanks

Edited by shanakamm
  • Like 1

16 answers to this question

Hi Guys

My Car is Toyota Premio 240/2002 1.8L 4-speed automatic tras. (Not CVT) 120K on the clock.

Recently its not engage the last gear while driving. this is happening intermittently most of the time morning, and sometimes its shifting normally. If i stop the car and change the gears back and forth (P - L ) then the problem goes away most of the time.

Previous owner said he did a gearbox oil change before i purchased the car but not sure about it. The gearbox oil level (engine running and Hot) is normal and the color is bright red, no burnt smell.

do i need to change the oil ?? or anything wrong with a sensors or gearbox itself??

Thanks

First do a transmission fluid change and see if the problem goes away, also what about the reverse gear does it engage with a delay?

• Like 2

Looks like the last owner changed the ATF in an effort to fix an issue he had with the transmission,.. (as most auto owners don't change the ATF till something goes wrong) failing at it has decided to sell and move on.

Go to Toyota Lanka and get them to do an exchange on the entire system with Toyota fluid and change the ATF filter.

This is all that can be done for a car used and abused for 14 years,..and may not fix the prob .failing this, you must go shopping for a used transmission,..

Check the transmission under side for off roading damage. and the electrical system for water damage/ corrosion from de-greasing/washing by previous owners and service stations

TT.

p.s how sure are you of the mileage?

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

Do the gears engage normally if you drive with OD off in the morning? After five minutes switch OD on and see if you get the problem within the remaining portion of the drive.

• Like 2

First do a transmission fluid change and see if the problem goes away, also what about the reverse gear does it engage with a delay?

No Asrock, reverse gear is working normal. no delays in other gear changes

Looks like the last owner changed the ATF in an effort to fix an issue he had with the transmission,.. (as most auto owners don't change the ATF till something goes wrong) failing at it has decided to sell and move on.

Go to Toyota Lanka and get them to do an exchange on the entire system with Toyota fluid and change the ATF filter.

This is all that can be done for a car used and abused for 14 years,..and may not fix the prob .failing this, you must go shopping for a used transmission,..

Check the transmission under side for off roading damage. and the electrical system for water damage/ corrosion from de-greasing/washing by previous owners and service stations

TT.

p.s how sure are you of the mileage?

I did a full vehicle checkup from Toyota Lanka before buy it and the mileage is genuine,I own this car almost 1.5 years and done more than 15k Kms now. the only repair i did was changing the spark plugs and value cover gasket. this issue came last week. No Under body damages.

Do the gears engage normally if you drive with OD off in the morning? After five minutes switch OD on and see if you get the problem within the remaining portion of the drive.

Yes Rumesh88, I did that too. without OD the other gears are engaging normally. after few mins when i turn on the OD nothing happens, The last gear is not engaging. But as i mentioned earlier if i change the gears back and forth couple of time its working normally again most of the time.

And No delay when when you floor the accelerator or the 1st gear.

Edited by shanakamm
  • Like 1

Could it be an electrical fault or some fault in ECU? don't you think its better to do a scan and see if there are any faults saved in the ecu ?

There is no harm in doing a scan ..

Because as per my knowledge, if there is a gear box issue it should be mostly 1 or second gear since those are the most 2 gears that gets engaged in city driving.. 4th gear is highly unlikely..

anyways that's my 2cents.. over to experts :sad-smiley-067:

Yes Rumesh88, I did that too. without OD the other gears are engaging normally. after few mins when i turn on the OD nothing happens, The last gear is not engaging. But as i mentioned earlier if i change the gears back and forth couple of time its working normally again most of the time.

And No delay when when you floor the accelerator or the 1st gear.

I was suspecting the coolant temperature sensor or the ATF temperature sensor acting up. But with these observation it is hard to home in on anything. I hope your OD OFF indicator is working. With your engine fully warmed up, gear in D and engine in idle, operate the OD switch and see if you can hear a faint click sound from the engine bay. Try to do it in both instances when the OD is not working and working. This is just to see if it gives a clue. (I'm not sure if the sound could be heard in your car model but it is worth trying for it doesn't cost anything :D).

There's a funny thing with my van, that it doesn't engage to the final gear and the gear changing pattern gets changed if there's something wrong with the brake light sensor that placed on top of the brake pedal. Happened 2 times so far, both times faulty sensor switch. :)

I was suspecting the coolant temperature sensor or the ATF temperature sensor acting up. But with these observation it is hard to home in on anything. I hope your OD OFF indicator is working. With your engine fully warmed up, gear in D and engine in idle, operate the OD switch and see if you can hear a faint click sound from the engine bay. Try to do it in both instances when the OD is not working and working. This is just to see if it gives a clue. (I'm not sure if the sound could be heard in your car model but it is worth trying for it doesn't cost anything :D).

Thnks Rumesh88, I will try this. I have this scanner tool designed for 1zz-fe toyota engines and couldn't see any trouble codes stored in the ECU. ( not sure whether it is capable of reading transmission related codes)

BTW any idea of the new TFT sensor price?

• Like 1

On 5/9/2016 at 2:38 PM, shanakamm said:

Cant hear any sound when switching O/D ON and OFF. anyway going with gearbox oil change and will see if it solve the issue.

On 5/1/2016 at 12:32 PM, shanakamm said:

Hi Guys

Thanks

Hi, 

I'm having 2010 Premio . Facing the same issue!

any suggestions to sort out it !!

7 hours ago, Ramzy Mohamed Atheek said:

Hi, 

It might help if you tell us a bit about the maintenance of your car. Your car's gearbox is completely different from the gearbox @shanakamm is referring to. His car has a standard automatic transmission and yours has a CVT. 

Also, @shanakamm has posted this nearly 8 years ago and he hasn't logged on for nearly the same amount of time. So I doubt he will give you a response.

On 11/18/2023 at 6:44 PM, iRage said:

It might help if you tell us a bit about the maintenance of your car. Your car's gearbox is completely different from the gearbox @shanakamm is referring to. His car has a standard automatic transmission and yours has a CVT. 

Also, @shanakamm has posted this nearly 8 years ago and he hasn't logged on for nearly the same amount of time. So I doubt he will give you a response.

Bro .my one is CVT.It won’t happen always. I have noticed that the problem comes on morning and when I use brake frequently in a very short distance also car won’t move until I accelerate And also notice that if I use the brake twice the car started to moving. There is a no brake-bind or no probs in handbrake I checked nearly more than 3 mechanics. They use to clean the handbrake and other brake related parts. But still the problem is there. 

On 5/9/2016 at 2:38 PM, shanakamm said:

Cant hear any sound when switching O/D ON and OFF. anyway going with gearbox oil change and will see if it solve the issue.

On 5/1/2016 at 12:32 PM, shanakamm said:

Hi Guys

Thanks

Hi, 

17 hours ago, Ramzy Mohamed Atheek said:

my one is CVT.It won’t happen always. I have noticed that the problem comes on morning and when I use brake frequently in a very short distance also car won’t move until I accelerate And also notice that if I use the brake twice the car started to moving. There is a no brake-bind or no probs in handbrake I checked nearly more than 3 mechanics.

Does this happen when the car is still cold..like if you drive for a long time and the engine oil and transmission oil are all heated up (engine and transmission oil takes a while to heat up and is not what is shown in the engine heat meter on the dashboard), does is it still happen ?

Have you changed the CVT fluid ?

On 11/20/2023 at 2:20 PM, iRage said:

Does this happen when the car is still cold..like if you drive for a long time and the engine oil and transmission oil are all heated up (engine and transmission oil takes a while to heat up and is not what is shown in the engine heat meter on the dashboard), does is it still happen ?

Have you changed the CVT fluid ?

Ya bro most of the time it happens when the engine cold. 
is it normal scenario when the engine is in cold. 

I have changed the transmission oil when I purchased at the km 75k and now driven around 100k. 

12 hours ago, Ramzy Mohamed Atheek said:

is it normal scenario when the engine is in cold.

No it is not normal. CVTs have a bit of a jerk when initially shifting in the cold especially when it is old..but not anything drastic you talk about.

Did you do a scan ? Any errors ?

Well...its only 25K since the fluid change but depending on how you use the car and the fluid used it might be time for another fluid change. In Japan Toyota dealers do a CVT fluid swap every 20,000km. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:42 AM, iRage said:

No it is not normal. CVTs have a bit of a jerk when initially shifting in the cold especially when it is old..but not anything drastic you talk about.

Did you do a scan ? Any errors ?

Well...its only 25K since the fluid change but depending on how you use the car and the fluid used it might be time for another fluid change. In Japan Toyota dealers do a CVT fluid swap every 20,000km. 

Ya I have done scan no any errors in scan reports and I have checked the brake bind as well.no such a bind even But the problem is still there. It won’t happen regularly. 

Better Will do a cvt  fluid change & see .