• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Converting A Manual Car To An Automatic Gear Box

MNI

Hi all experts,

I m thinking of buying a manual car for about 500k and converting it to auto. Because my wife is having license to drive automatic cars only and she is scared of driving the Axio 141 which I'm using. I have about 600k in my hand and don't want to go for any lease or loan.I need some expert opinion on;

1. whether to buy a manual car and convert it to automatic, in which case what will be the most suitable car to do so and which model engine and gear box will suit it. ( I have one car in mind that is March K10 but don't have any idea which type of engine and gear box will suit it )

2. whether to apply for a manual license for my wife and teach her to drive a manual car and then to buy a small manual car.

Please advice me on this and all your expert opinions are highly appreciated

Option #2 hands down. Conversions are messy affairs- Teaching the wife to drive manual is a HUGE investment. Useful in case of an emergency. At the same time that broadens the scope of prospective cars you can buy.

And why is she scared of the 141???

It's has a long history mate, she not driving the axio. One year back I had a Corolla 141 and I bought her a March K11 as soon as she got her license. She was happily using it and we wanted to buy a newer car. So we agreed upon buying a FIT GP5 and so we did. The agreement was both of us to use it, although I don't like a hatchback. At the end I was the only user of it as my wife never drove it, telling it is too new for her to damage it. So I became the driver of the house with all responsibilities of taking children to school, classes , practices ,then smallest of shopping falling on me. With my work it was becoming harder for me. Then again we decided to have 2 cars and we sold the FIT GP5 and bought an axio. Following which we had to incur some unavoidable high expenses . So some money from the car had to be spent on that. Now I have only 600k in my hand to buy my wife a car, where an automatic car is not possible.

It's has a long history mate, she not driving the axio. One year back I had a Corolla 141 and I bought her a March K11 as soon as she got her license. She was happily using it and we wanted to buy a newer car. So we agreed upon buying a FIT GP5 and so we did. The agreement was both of us to use it, although I don't like a hatchback. At the end I was the only user of it as my wife never drove it, telling it is too new for her to damage it. So I became the driver of the house with all responsibilities of taking children to school, classes , practices ,then smallest of shopping falling on me. With my work it was becoming harder for me. Then again we decided to have 2 cars and we sold the FIT GP5 and bought an axio. Following which we had to incur some unavoidable high expenses . So some money from the car had to be spent on that. Now I have only 600k in my hand to buy my wife a car, where an automatic car is not possible.

Is it possible to buy a manual car for 500K? (I mean except 80's cars)

Yeah that's why I was thinking of a march K10 and to convert it to auto or to buy something like an older maruti and teach her to drive a manual car. I also think the second option is more practical but still I feel driving a manual car in this heavy colombo traffic is too much to handle for my wife

Edited by MNI

Clearly you don't have a need for two CARS. You just need to have 2 DRIVERS.

Overall, I think it might be cheaper to get a full insurance for your 141 and tell your wife to familiarize herself with the car. The Insurance premium and the cost of any additional fixups is gonna be less than the price of a small car.