• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice On First Car To Learn Driving

Sathindra

Question

I am a freshly graduated engineer who still seeking a job. We have very old car (2 Sri) which was stayed in the garage for last 15 years or so. Due to financial problem in those days, we were not able afford its maintenance. Now it is in bad shape (break binding,dead battery and lots of tinkering).

At present our financial level is better having my sister is working and I completed my studies. So we are thinking about getting a new car. My self and my sister still don't know to drive and my father does. My sister is quite busy with her work and Masters. So for her going for a learners not a practical option. Therefore we thought to get our own vehicle to learn driving.

We are considering 3 options

1. Spend around 100k and repair the old car.

2. Buy old sedan around 1 mil ( Something like Proton WIRA, FB13 or CB8) with private leasing

3. Buy relatively new compact around 1.7 mil ( Something like Viva Elite) with bank leasing

We are not intend to keep whatever the car we are gonna get for more than a year. When I settled in a job, we intend to buy a brand new car( with me fathers permit, hoping government offer it back). So durability is not a important concern. Some depreciation is acceptable as well. Thought best option seems to be option 1, my mother is concerned with the appearance for social acceptance. I think 3rd option is risky as a someone just learning to drive, damages could become expensive to deal with. So I am leaning towards the 2nd option.

I am completely new to this area. Any advice would be welcome.

What is the car u guys have currently? If you are going to buy and sell the car in a year,I think the beat option is to get the current car fixed. Dont go for a leasing, because in an year,all u have paid is interest. You wont be able to recover your cost. You must pay a minimum of 3 years to get some money when selling a leased car. Found this out the hard way.

Edited by fiat fan

Don't disregard the old car due to the 'social acceptance' factor. Having said that what is the Old car BTW? sometimes the whole learning to drive in a car as old as 2sri might prove to be unpleasant if you've never driven a car before or if the car has not been properly repaired. Most of our makabasses just get it to run and say 'oka dan duwanna puluwan' but truth of the matter is you would grow sick of it If you had to push the car for 500m for each Km you drove.

You might just consider another option of getting hold of something like a corolla dx wagon for around 450 K and sell it off once it has served its purpose. Just my 2 cents.

If I was you, I would have gone to a learners! The basic learners fee to get motor bike, tricycle and light vehicle license is around 17k, plus they handle all the documents which will save you a few trips to the RMV and a lot of time. Also, there's a higher chance of them passing you during the trial as the learners people usually give them a bribe, typical sri lankan government system I tell you :speechless-smiley-004:

If you're too busy, there are some learners that come to your place to pick you up, train you for a while and then drop you back at your home for an extra fee.

Option 2 and 3 won't be practical and will incur you a loss if you plan on selling the vehicle within an year as @fiat fan suggested.

I don't see how the 3rd option is risky either, as long as you find an experienced driver to train you and begin at your garden or an empty open space (such as a ground) and then slowly progress on to open roads with few vehicles and so on.

P.S. Congrats on graduating, I'm planning on studying Civil Eng soon, maybe you can give me an idea of the current job market :)

Edited by maxxarox

When priorities the life goals, car go after 'stable/good job' & some other stuff. So according to me, better to repair your own car at the moment and/or go to a good driving school. As a engineering graduate (whatever the field), you must have more general technical knowledge already (Even AL Physics, Applied maths enough to learn about most things in this field). If you try to repair your car, you will learn more mechanical/electrical (may not electronic as its bit old car) things inside a car.

After learn driving + car mechanics + having good job, you can go to the next step. Then no one can cheat you in the field.

Good luck !!!

• Like 1

Hi Sathindra,

Welcome to AL. Just curious about how 3rd option become risky. If you are going to get a lease that means it will have full insurance cover right ?

Thanks. Does they cover damages like scratching here and there due to improper handling?

Please goto a good driving school and learn well...then buy the car...

I can goto one, but my sister only available once in a while on Sunday (So two or three days per month). She did tried two learners in last 3 months or so, but finding time for both were free is very hard. They only give like 15 minutes at a time, as she only got once or twice per month, it does not workout well.

What is the car u guys have currently? If you are going to buy and sell the car in a year,I think the beat option is to get the current car fixed. Dont go for a leasing, because in an year,all u have paid is interest. You wont be able to recover your cost. You must pay a minimum of 3 years to get some money when selling a leased car. Found this out the hard way.

Ford Prefect (1955 or something) which wasn't in a good shape ( Haven't even touched for more than 15 years) I got 400k in hand, so thinking about 600k to lease. I suspect leasing would incur some loss, does it that bad? Do you know any other safe way to get 600k loan or something? Anyway thanks for sharing your experience.

Don't disregard the old car due to the 'social acceptance' factor. Having said that what is the Old car BTW? sometimes the whole learning to drive in a car as old as 2sri might prove to be unpleasant if you've never driven a car before or if the car has not been properly repaired. Most of our makabasses just get it to run and say 'oka dan duwanna puluwan' but truth of the matter is you would grow sick of it If you had to push the car for 500m for each Km you drove.

You might just consider another option of getting hold of something like a corolla dx wagon for around 450 K and sell it off once it has served its purpose. Just my 2 cents.

Ford Prefect. When last time my father drove it, it was in really good condition. I don't think it has any problems with its mechanical parts other than break binding. Edges of windows were full of rust. Father said he is afraid body is too weak. Main reason it stuck in the garage for years due to break binding. We can't push to take it out. Having 400 k in hand getting corolla dx wagon seems really good option. I am not the biggest fan of wagon. Do you know any good sedan in that price range.

If I was you, I would have gone to a learners! The basic learners fee to get motor bike, tricycle and light vehicle license is around 17k, plus they handle all the documents which will save you a few trips to the RMV and a lot of time. Also, there's a higher chance of them passing you during the trial as the learners people usually give them a bribe, typical sri lankan government system I tell you :speechless-smiley-004:

If you're too busy, there are some learners that come to your place to pick you up, train you for a while and then drop you back at your home for an extra fee.

Option 2 and 3 won't be practical and will incur you a loss if you plan on selling the vehicle within an year as @fiat fan suggested.

I don't see how the 3rd option is risky either, as long as you find an experienced driver to train you and begin at your garden or an empty open space (such as a ground) and then slowly progress on to open roads with few vehicles and so on.

P.S. Congrats on graduating, I'm planning on studying Civil Eng soon, maybe you can give me an idea of the current job market :)

As I mentioned above learners wasn't a option for my sister. Already she has paid to learners 5k each and postponed trial date once ( Might be twice as next trial date on May). I am in Panadura. If you know someone around this area who pick up and drop you off, please let me know.

By the way I am Electrical and Information Engineer. Civil job market is not as green as it was in 2014. But still there is more than enough jobs are available.

When priorities the life goals, car go after 'stable/good job' & some other stuff. So according to me, better to repair your own car at the moment and/or go to a good driving school. As a engineering graduate (whatever the field), you must have more general technical knowledge already (Even AL Physics, Applied maths enough to learn about most things in this field). If you try to repair your car, you will learn more mechanical/electrical (may not electronic as its bit old car) things inside a car.

After learn driving + car mechanics + having good job, you can go to the next step. Then no one can cheat you in the field.

Good luck !!!

At the moment main priority is learning to drive and having a car. In that sense I am willing to incur some loss for that sake. I know electrical side, but not my favorite subject. I wasn't a fan of vehicles. Idea to buy a vehicle came like a month ago. Since then I have read so many threads in AL. Now I have general idea about cars. I learned so much from here. Without this site I would never have heard of cars like Proton Wira.

Ford prefect is a good car.A relative had one in very good nick. But not the easiest to drive. I would get a WV beetle or a daihatsu charade for that money without even thinking. Or go for an old lancer or corrolla(trust me these cars are better than a 2016 Alto in every way.I have witnessed better handling in a ke20 corrolla better than my sis`s 2015 alto). That way you dont have to lease a car.and you can sell it off and get the money back... Try to avoid leasing at all costs...

Edit- Daihatsu Charade is the best for you I think. Easy to run and nippy to drive

Edited by fiat fan
  • Like 1

My parents always wanted to buy a car. Every time they thought of it, there was either grand parents got sick or got a sudden spike in taxes. Both were teachers and always refuse to do tution classes (Sell knowledge for money). Now is the first time we got breathing space financial vise. So I wouldn't mind some losses in the future assuming I could land in a decent job. I really wanted to get something that is comfortable, so I can take my family in a long journey.

I am in a little bit of hurry as afraid that VAT increase would increase car prices significantly. This happened with the last budget, where my fathers permit application was denied which was applied well before the budget and vehicle prices were skyrocketed with tax increase.

Ford prefect is a good car.A relative had one in very good nick. But not the easiest to drive. I would get a WV beetle or a daihatsu charade for that money without even thinking. Or go for an old lancer or corrolla(trust me these cars are better than a 2016 Alto in every way.I have witnessed better handling in a ke20 corrolla better than my sis`s 2015 alto). That way you dont have to lease a car.and you can sell it off and get the money back... Try to avoid leasing at all costs...

Edit- Daihatsu Charade is the best for you I think. Easy to run and nippy to drive

Daihatsu Charade seems better on fuel. Is it comfortable?

Your suggestion seems quite practical.

Considering I am intend to buying a sedan in the future, would it affect learn to drive in a small car?

What would you think if I was able to get a loan for the remainder?

Congrats on graduating...I am sure you will have great future potential. however, don't get yourself in debt even before you land that job. I would say go with what you have or what you can afford for now...save up and then go for a decent car.

Putting the lease and other financial factors aside...if you buy a shiny new car you are going to mentally rape yourself every time you put a scratch on it. Trust me it happens !

I don't think you can do a proper fix up of the Anglia for just 100K...so I am with everyone else who have said to buy a Corolla van, Carina, Charade or anything of the sort. Those cars are simple...easy to maintain...and surprisingly easy to drive. Plus it won't break your bank account or put you in serious debt (maybe its me...but I think 1.7 million is quite a lot of money...in any part of the world). Just make sure you

1. find yourself a clean honest car as most of these cars have been raped and seen a lot of abuse (and they still run).

2. do not spend all the money you have on buying the car...save some for repairs you will have to do as soon as you buy the car.

Congrats on graduating

Please dont go for leasing or loans pal it will torture you like hell,they are ok for someone who is getting a car allowance from office

Ford Prefect is a good car and great classic,is yours a 100E model? please upload a pic if you can

If you dont want to use the Ford Prefect then for a budget of 600k you can get the following

i)Corolla DX wagon

ii)Lancer Box (350k should get you a good car with AC)

iii) Lancer GLX C12 /C11 very good cars with good features

iv)Lancer Flatilight (250k)

v) Lancer Tublight (250-300k) - we had one from 1999-2014 and was very very hardy and parts cheap and available anywhere,good power too

I personally would avoid a Daihastu Charade as many have been raced and hacked ,then painted up wit a lot of cataloy

Proton Wira is good but the prices now are bit high at 900-1 mill which is not worth as they are not that easy to sell,but good cars nevertheless

Hi and welcome,

Need to clear something first before any advice, the remark made on full insurance for leased vehicle is not fully accurate. While you get a full insurance the industry norm is that the standard insurance policy applied for leased vehicle does not have a learners insurance. You can add this to the standard policy without any issue but it will cost extra. Also AFAIK for you to drive the car on the road with an L board it needs to have a learners insurance.

Secondly I understand that you are very excited about passing out and already dreaming of a better future but please dont get yourself in debt even before you land a job. I would say the best option for your now is to buy a low budget car for now or go to a leaner, once you have a stable job and some capital you can go for a decent car.

On the note of "social acceptance" dont bother about what the Pereras and Silvas next door think. If you know who Dr Hans wijayasuriya is just know that he use to drive a 65- 3 series up until recently. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

• Like 5

Welcome to Auto Lanka forum and my congratulations on your graduation.

As I was also facing quite similar circumstances as you..my advice is go for the second option...Buy a decent manual gear car for a low price and learn well how to drive. You could even consider selling off your car to antique car enthusiast (If your father agrees to sell it)..which will cover a part of your new car cost.

• Like 1

Hi, I'll keep it simple.

Sorry I may repeat some of my fellow AL members, but we all want you to get motoring quickly and safely with minimal set-backs. :sleeping-smiley-001:

01. You must learn HOW to drive and handle a car,specially in city traffic, Go to a learner and when you get the hang of it

02.buy a simple, easy to buy, fix car and perfect your driving,

03.Get a job, you'll be limited only by your budget.

you can't go wrong, I'm sure you'll make your parents proud,..

Good Luck !

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Since you cant drive proper. First go for an older work horse like a old sprinter, laser, trad sunny or maybe even a 2WD hilux or nissan D21from thelate 80`s that has been maintained well and after you have several years under your belt you can opt for a newer car which by the time hopefully you wont need to debt finance as much as you expect. But firstly go to a learner and get your license.

• Like 1

Considering I am intend to buying a sedan in the future, would it affect learn to drive in a small car?

it won't matter. I haven't seen too many learners have sedans either even if you go to a learners they will teach you on a maruti and a townace

• Like 1

Congrats on graduating...I am sure you will have great future potential. however, don't get yourself in debt even before you land that job. I would say go with what you have or what you can afford for now...save up and then go for a decent car.

Putting the lease and other financial factors aside...if you buy a shiny new car you are going to mentally rape yourself every time you put a scratch on it. Trust me it happens !

I don't think you can do a proper fix up of the Anglia for just 100K...so I am with everyone else who have said to buy a Corolla van, Carina, Charade or anything of the sort. Those cars are simple...easy to maintain...and surprisingly easy to drive. Plus it won't break your bank account or put you in serious debt (maybe its me...but I think 1.7 million is quite a lot of money...in any part of the world). Just make sure you

1. find yourself a clean honest car as most of these cars have been raped and seen a lot of abuse (and they still run).

2. do not spend all the money you have on buying the car...save some for repairs you will have to do as soon as you buy the car.

Thanks. That is the exact reason that I am reluctant to buy 1.7 Mn car. That is why I am thinking about something around 900k. So debt only gonna be like 500k. Which is something my parents alone can pay back without my support (They work till mid of next year and they got a pension).

Congrats on graduating

Please dont go for leasing or loans pal it will torture you like hell,they are ok for someone who is getting a car allowance from office

Ford Prefect is a good car and great classic,is yours a 100E model? please upload a pic if you can

If you dont want to use the Ford Prefect then for a budget of 600k you can get the following

i)Corolla DX wagon

ii)Lancer Box (350k should get you a good car with AC)

iii) Lancer GLX C12 /C11 very good cars with good features

iv)Lancer Flatilight (250k)

v) Lancer Tublight (250-300k) - we had one from 1999-2014 and was very very hardy and parts cheap and available anywhere,good power too

I personally would avoid a Daihastu Charade as many have been raced and hacked ,then painted up wit a lot of cataloy

Proton Wira is good but the prices now are bit high at 900-1 mill which is not worth as they are not that easy to sell,but good cars nevertheless

Thanks. Seems like I don't have a any idea when handling finance. I never done a job, so I do not have any experience in managing money.

I don't know about the model of Ford Prefect. I'll try to take some photos, if I were able to take it out.

I really hate wagon type cars. Lancer GLX C12 seems nice though.

Congrats & welcome to the forum !!!

I may repeat the same idea given by other members.

(1) First learn how to dive properly and safely. Go for good Lerner.

(2) For your busy sister, please help her by arranging a driving instructor whom does visit home and take individual lessons. Sometimes they bring their vehicle to your door step or after you buy your vehicle she can use your vehicle. There are many instructors(even lady instructors) appear on Sunday News papers and select any suitable polite instructor.

(3) Minimize going for loans. Buy a vehicle affordable at this instance. Even old Corolla DX , Maruti may good at this point. But get assistance from a good mechanic or technician when you select/purchase the vehicle.

(4) Be stable with a job first.

Don't much consider what others think on you & appearance for social acceptance at this moment. Be Stable with your own income source first. Other things will automatically come to you.

Below I got from FB junks , but I love that idea always. Just share it.

paper_zpsh1j1f7fn.jpg

Do stay in forum and that Ford Prefect may be good project after few years. (We too had a 2 Sri unit)

Good luck !!! :)

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 2