• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice Needed From Land Rover Experts

malindaum

Question

Hi Guys,

So I bought a 1993 Land Rover Defender 110 SW with 12J engine. The previous owner had restored the vehicle at LR motors. However there is a massive thud noise that comes from the drivetrain every time I change gears (LT77) or if I let go of the accelerator and press it again. From what I can gather from most forums, a thud noise is quite a normal thing for a defender. Also I've heard that the noise comes from worn out A frame bushes. I had my usual mechanic look at the car and he states that there is a significant amount of play on both the propeller shafts. He states that I would need to disassemble both axles to identify the problem.

I've also read that Land Rover axles are quite weak. The car is currently running 235 X 85R16 tires and I would ideally like to fir 33" tires at some point soon. The car is not a daily runner, it's only used when I have free time or if I'm running into the jungle somewhere.

If the my axles etc are worn out, should I replace them with Land rover axles or is there a stronger aftermarket option available? I want to keep this car as original as possible.

Also, is there any bolt on direct replacement alternator I can use with 12J engine? The current alternator (30 or 35 Amp) is massively insufficient.

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Thanks Devinda_Z.

What is the universal ball joint? Is this the joint at the end of the prop shaft?

I was also not too comfortable in taking apart the diffs and axles.

No, they have not changed the rear. It's still running the original drums.

Would you be able to recommend a place get things checked out?

Hi Guys,

So I bought a 1993 Land Rover Defender 110 SW with 12J engine. The previous owner had restored the vehicle at LR motors. However there is a massive thud noise that comes from the drivetrain every time I change gears (LT77) or if I let go of the accelerator and press it again. From what I can gather from most forums, a thud noise is quite a normal thing for a defender. Also I've heard that the noise comes from worn out A frame bushes. I had my usual mechanic look at the car and he states that there is a significant amount of play on both the propeller shafts. He states that I would need to disassemble both axles to identify the problem.

I've also read that Land Rover axles are quite weak. The car is currently running 235 X 85R16 tires and I would ideally like to fir 33" tires at some point soon. The car is not a daily runner, it's only used when I have free time or if I'm running into the jungle somewhere.

If the my axles etc are worn out, should I replace them with Land rover axles or is there a stronger aftermarket option available? I want to keep this car as original as possible.

Also, is there any bolt on direct replacement alternator I can use with 12J engine? The current alternator (30 or 35 Amp) is massively insufficient.

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The alternator is std fitted for the model without A/c. So if you're thinking of

fitting an A/c, get a suitably sized unit of at leaset a 95 A while your at it , get a 95D31R (90Ah) BATTERY

Edited by Twin Turbo

Thanks Twin Turbo.

The previous owner had fitted a rear AC (No front AC) and put a 90Ah battery.

However the alternator is not able to charge the battery properly. When the AC and lights are on, battery voltage drops to below 12V unless the the engine is revving quite a bit.

Do you know there is a direct fit Landrover alternator I can fix to this vehicle? Or would I have to get plates fabricated for an alternator?

• Like 1

Personally, I'd go with option B.. :sport-smiley-003: with your rate of charging, you'll need a push after a night drive,.. :speechless-smiley-003: and you'll soon blow the alti you have now.and damage your battery.

But you are open to infinite possibilities,.. Have you considered a/c for the front?

AL will have recommended places 4 you to get the work done. + Remember to replace the belt with a thicker B size belt.to stop slippage.

Goodluck.!

TT

P.s, Also get a set of H4 head lamps, as I can't stand sealed beams.SINCE YOU'VE GOT SPACE, WHY NOT DUEL BATTERIES? :sleeping-smiley-001:

Edited by Twin Turbo