• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Car For 1.3M (With Good Fuel Consumption + Full Option + Easy Maintenance)

Iroshw

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a car for 1.3 million with the following requirements;

1. Good Fuel Consumption (at least 12km per liter with AC in Colombo)

2. Full Option

3. Easy Maintenance

4. Not less year YOM 1998

5. Prefer Auto gear car (but Manual is also fine)

6. Easy/Cheap spare parts

7. 5 seating capacity (including the driver)

I know that finding a car for my budget with all above requirements is a surprise. But please advise me.

I have a list but need your feedback/advise

Kelisa (2004-2006)

Kia Rio 1.3c

Mazda Butterfly

CK1 / CK2 (1.3c)

Ford Laser

Nissan March

Panda 1.0c

Guys, please help me.

Regards,

Irosh

15 answers to this question

From the little i've seen on Panda's I recommend you stay away.

Mazda Butterfly, Ford Laser are decent buys know a few people who owned them and they are decent buys.

I can give you a bit of feedback on the kelisa having had one I can recomend you that it meets almost all your requirements apart from the 5 people in the car point.

Hi Guys,

1. Good Fuel Consumption (at least 12km per liter with AC in Colombo) : A manual Kelisa will give you better than that. Auto should do around 11-12 in Colombo.

2. Full Option : Power mirrors, power shutters are there -(and yes every kelisa comes with a tachometer unlike some toyotas :D)

3. Easy Maintenance : It's the newest out of the lot (Barring the Panda) so lesser issues and easier maintenance. simple car simple mechanics

4. Not less year YOM 1998 : You can get something around 2004 onwards s

5. Prefer Auto gear car (but Manual is also fine): Ive used the auto one of my buddies had a manual which did better on fuel and i guess it wil be more fun to drive.

6. Easy/Cheap spare parts : Not as frequent as a toyota but never had any issues sourcing parts which are interchangeable with Daihatsu Mira, Toyota duet etc.

7. 5 seating capacity (including the driver) : this is the only point where it won't match your criteria. I have stuffed 5 people in but its not going to be that comfy for the poor dude who sits behind me cos i pull the seat all the way back.

one thing to note : Kelisas are prone to vibrate a bit than usual but check for excessive vibration cos that means the engine mounts are bust. many people use non original mounts that gives even more vibration and they wear out pretty early. There are many that were brought brand new back in the day and are still maintained by unimo try to find one.

From the little i've seen on Panda's I recommend you stay away.

Mazda Butterfly, Ford Laser are decent buys know a few people who owned them and they are decent buys.

I can give you a bit of feedback on the kelisa having had one I can recomend you that it meets almost all your requirements apart from the 5 people in the car point.

one thing to note : Kelisas are prone to vibrate a bit than usual but check for excessive vibration cos that means the engine mounts are bust. many people use non original mounts that gives even more vibration and they wear out pretty early. There are many that were brought brand new back in the day and are still maintained by unimo try to find one.

Thanks a lot for your feedback/comments Matroska. It is not that easy to find a 2005 Kelisa for my budget. If anyone has a 2005 Kelisa or a Mazda Butterfly 1998/1999 for 1.3m please inbox me. Planning to go for a lease.

Kelisas are frickin expensive now. Its actually one of the best value for money cars out there. Back in 2013, I bought a 2008 KG-Kelisa for 12/65 I think. Can only dream for that price now.

woah 12.65? that was quite a bargain me thinks. Was 2013 the year when fits and aquas flooded the market and prices went down? The kelisa i used was a 2005 one with KB plates that was bought in 2011/12 for 14.25 sold it in 2015 for 13.50. I thought the price was still in the 13 range still.

woah 12.65? that was quite a bargain me thinks. Was 2013 the year when fits and aquas flooded the market and prices went down? The kelisa i used was a 2005 one with KB plates that was bought in 2011/12 for 14.25 sold it in 2015 for 13.50. I thought the price was still in the 13 range still.

I know how to get cars for cheap :)

12km/l in Colombo is a myth, unless you're driving a car with an 800cc engine or less. My Axio Hybrid gets only 15-16 in pure city driving. It increased to 17.6 the past week since traffic was light. The Wagon R pseudo hybrid gets around 14.5 or so.

• Like 1

I know how to get cars for cheap :)

...and I know to sell them for cheap :D

12km/l in Colombo is a myth, unless you're driving a car with an 800cc engine or less. My Axio Hybrid gets only 15-16 in pure city driving. It increased to 17.6 the past week since traffic was light. The Wagon R pseudo hybrid gets around 14.5 or so.

I guess small manuals manage that. When i did the numbers back then got around 11 on the kelisa driving colombo to jaela daily (but then again i use the expressway at thrice a week so it could affect the calculation) but as you say them hybrids don't give you magical numbers at all my Fit(hybrid) does around 13 in the city i THINK cos my combined driving cycle includes colombo + expressway so the expressway improves the numbers a bit.

Edited by matroska

Apart from the car list, Starlet would be a better option.

Below is my experience with starlet ep91 (YOM is 1997)

Fuel Consumption : In heavy traffic don't expect more than 10. Moderate traffic 12-13. Long distance with careful driving 17-18 (once I achieved 20+)

Hi Guys,

1. Good Fuel Consumption (at least 12km per liter with AC in Colombo) - In heavy traffic don't expect more than 10. Moderate traffic 12-13. Long distance with careful driving 17-18 (once I achieved 20+)

2. Full Option - available

3. Easy Maintenance - quite easy to maintain. lot of spares available. certain parts exchangeable with Tercel

4. Not less year YOM 1998 - mine is 1997. probably you will be able to find one. but not sure with your budget limit.

5. Prefer Auto gear car (but Manual is also fine) - upto you

6. Easy/Cheap spare parts - parts are comparatively cheap

7. 5 seating capacity (including the driver) - little crammed though, but can manage for 5 ppl

I know that finding a car for my budget with all above requirements is a surprise. But please advise me.

Guys, what do you think going for a Mazda Butterfly 1997-1998 (1.3c engine) instead of a Kelisa? I have experience driving a Mazda Butterfly and found one of the best cars.

Guys, pls help.

Nothing wrong with Mazda Butterfly..it's a decent car.. But i bet, you won't be able to get 12kmpl in city driving even with less traffic. In fact even fuel efficient 121 s hardly touching that figure. You will definitely get this with Maruties and Altos for sure.

Nothing wrong with Mazda Butterfly..it's a decent car.. But i bet, you won't be able to get 12kmpl in city driving even with less traffic. In fact even fuel efficient 121 s hardly touching that figure. You will definitely get this with Maruties and Altos for sure.

Not very sure, but did feel like the car does at least 11-12kmpl in City with A/C. I used a butterfly for a few weeks and compared with the one I had (Mitsubishi C62A -1991 carb model), Mazda saved me some bucks. And, it's a smooth car and no vibration. Very easy to drive.

So that is why, even I can go for a 2005 Kelisa within my budget prefer to go for a 1997 Mazda Butterfly.

Guys, please vote, your vote will help me to go for the best car. Planning to buy one within the next couple of weeks.

Mazda Butterfly 1997-1998

Kelisa 2005

And, is there a full option Toyota Corsa or Tercel (1997-1999 model)?

What about Honday City 1997-1998? I saw a few cars within my budget (1.3m)

Dont forget the Proton Wira 1.5 or 1.3 cc models which came from 2000 onwards they are basically Mitsubishi CB series engine and components,but you wont get 14 kmpl,only 10 in traffic ,these are EFI models and parts easy too prices is around 900-1.1mil

Thanks for the comment. I personally do not like Wira. My friend had one and I have used once. Wira is very similar to Mitsubishi CB models and C62A. Same engine and same structure. But the interior of the car is really bad.

Planning to go for a Kelisa. :)

Guys, anyone has a Kelisa 2005 for 1.3M pls inbox me. I can't go beyond this budget.

Hi Guys,

1. Good Fuel Consumption (at least 12km per liter with AC in Colombo)

2. Full Option

3. Easy Maintenance

4. Not less year YOM 1998

5. Prefer Auto gear car (but Manual is also fine)

6. Easy/Cheap spare parts

7. 5 seating capacity (including the driver)

I have a list but need your feedback/advise

Kelisa (2004-2006)

Kia Rio 1.3c

Mazda Butterfly

CK1 / CK2 (1.3c)

Ford Laser

Nissan March

Panda 1.0c

Guys, please help me.

Regards,

Irosh

Just pointing out, CK1 is the 1300cc version and the CK2 is the 1500cc version. If you want better fuel consumption, CK2 is a better choice as it has a higher power to weight ratio, but these are priced slightly higher than the CK1's. Also EFI versions are easier to maintain compared to their carb counterparts :)