• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Break Pedal Goes To The Floor

civicferio

Hi All,

Yesterday, On the way to Kandy from colombo I faced a strange issue that when I break, pedal went all the way to floor and felt like no breaks at all. it happened for few miniute time and back to normal. ( during passing the Kegale town ), after that I went small trips and didn't face that issue again. So I need to go back colombo again and it was bit scary :speechless-smiley-003:.

Can you all guys help me to troubleshoot the issue.

thanks.

Hi All,

Yesterday, On the way to Kandy from colombo I faced a strange issue that when I break, pedal went all the way to floor and felt like no breaks at all. it happened for few miniute time and back to normal. ( during passing the Kegale town ), after that I went small trips and didn't face that issue again. So I need to go back colombo again and it was bit scary :speechless-smiley-003:.

thanks.

When was the last time break fluid was replaced? had a similar issue years back : noticed inconsistent breaking (i.e at times you have to push the break pedal waaay down and at times not) break fluid replacement solved that issue.

Okay...I deleted my previous post because I usually don't write technical stuff here...but oh well...

Brake pedal can go down for several issues ranging from issues with fluid, issues with the lines, worn out parts, booster, master cylinder, etc...

but in this case I have to ask...were you braking heavily a lot ? perhaps driving through corners bends and braking at the bends. If the brakes overheat there could be a tendency for the fluid to lose its "viscocitic" <if that can be used as a word> properties effecting its ability to generate enough pressure for the brakes....as for why it over heated...well could be worn out parts or simply the way you drove....I a saying this because it seems like when the brakes are not over heated it acts normally. When the brakes cool down again it starts working/feeling normally/normal and when you start braking a lot at corners it heats up and feels like there are no brakes....

Thanks all for the prompt reply.

@matroska

Actually I cannot remember when I replaced the break fluid. Need to check. I only checked the fluid level.

@iRage

I think there was heavy breaking. It happened because heavy traffic and also I was bit hurry to go.

So I need to check the breaking system. As the first step I will replace the break fluid.

Any recommendations?

Edited by civicferio

You are right to be concerned, and have answered yourself Yes,

1.get the entire system checked

2. flush the brake fluid from all the wheels.

Your brake pedal flooring temporarily looks like it was caused by overheating caused by excessive usage or binding of a wheel cylinder/caliper.

Glad it didn't happen when coming down Kadugannawa. :speechless-smiley-003:

TT

Hi All,

thanks.

Check

1. Break fluid tank? if its empty, then there must be a leak

2. if the tank full of oil, then probably the break washers of the pump. you need to get it checked by a mechanic

3. some cases as below mentioned the quality of oil may have spoiled. but this is very rare case.