• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bonnet Paint - Black

bimalnp4me

I have no idea why you want to paint it in black but it has few negative impacts on your car.

1. It may not look original (With respect, It all depends on personal preferences)

2. It will absorb more heat (Though it may not notice, the AC system will have to run a bit longer to cool which needs more power & finally hits the mpg)

3. If I am not mistaken, it is not legal to change the original color of the vehicle ( Said in the registration book) but I think its not being questioned practically.

A suggestion;

If you need to make it look like black, why not use a sticker? You can reverse it to the original later if you need. (I think using a good quality sticker may cost you a bit more with warranty)

• Like 1

I think the sticker option is better than painting also... paint should be original or else it will be a fuzz and trust me damn annoying as well. but since its a partial paint of the car i have no clue how the legal aspect would look at it. you are better off using a sticker which can be removed if it becomes a problem rather the respraying both hood n bonnet.

• Like 2

So..why do people paint the hoods black ?

In racing cars and of the sort I know it is a matter of practicality as the hoods remain black because of the original being replaced with after market hoods (different material, light weight, etc) which either cannot be painted because of the material or they never bother to because it is a race car....

• Like 2

So..why do people paint the hoods black ?

In racing cars and of the sort I know it is a matter of practicality as the hoods remain black because of the original being replaced with after market hoods (different material, light weight, etc) which either cannot be painted because of the material or they never bother to because it is a race car....

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement ;)

I think it's a play on carbon fiber panels as well. There seems to be quite a few cars rocking different colour panels these days I do have to say, some carry it quite well. Boils down to what looks right for the owner.

OP, I think, the sticker (or vinyl wrap) path would be the way to go. You can test how the cops react and will be an easy fix if you get into trouble. Also, it will give you some time to see if you really like how it looks after sometime and won't be as expensive to roll back if you don't like it anymore.

• Like 1

Please go for a sticker and save the trouble if you decide the black hood doesn't look good OR for a potential future user of the car who might hate it.

In my experience we bought a kelisa despite the previous guy having painted the bonnet matt black (on a champagne goldish car) and immediately reverted to repainting it to original color ...for a while the color difference was visible.

• Like 1

go for a wrap - https://www.google.com/search?q=car+wrap+matte+black&biw=1252&bih=611&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwja0NrHjPjLAhWBTo4KHT-pANIQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=bonnet+wrap+matte+black

There's a place in SL where you can get this done, i have no experience with them but have seen their work on FB. do a google search "car wrap sri lanka"

• Like 1

Just to be very clear even a sticker is considered a change in the colour and if it is not updated in the vehicle book that the hood colour has been changed to black cops "will" fine you. Especially if you drive outstation cops are very strict on this. We have a promotion van stickered with company branding and every single time it goes outstation it gets into trouble.

• Like 2

Just to be very clear even a sticker is considered a change in the colour and if it is not updated in the vehicle book that the hood colour has been changed to black cops "will" fine you. Especially if you drive outstation cops are very strict on this. We have a promotion van stickered with company branding and every single time it goes outstation it gets into trouble.

I remember once I saw few jeeps were in trouble with cops at Dambulla area because they had different colors and bigger wheels. lol. :speechless-smiley-004:

• Like 1

I remember once I saw few jeeps were in trouble with cops at Dambulla area because they had different colors and bigger wheels. lol. :speechless-smiley-004:

When you say "trouble" I don't think cops take the matter up with court action. They are just troubling you to get their palms oiled. Of course it is illegal to change the color or do a major (this is subjective) modification to a vehicle without the approval of RMV.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

When you say "trouble" I don't think cops take the matter up with court action. They are just troubling you to get their palms oiled.

Of course. haha. you know the cops here. Always bring a big bottle of oil. :medium-smiley-037:

Edited by Nishan.dj