• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is The Best Bang For The Buck Used Vehicle, For Any Price Range?

Goro

At the moment , Sri Lankan used vehicle market has ridiculous prices specially when it comes to popular brands and models. But there are some vehicles that weren't affected by this hype. Under these circumstances, which used vehicle models do you think worth the money we pay for ? ( for any price range )

Edited by Goro

At the moment , Sri Lankan used vehicle market has ridiculous prices specially when it comes to popular brands and models. But there are some vehicles that weren't affected by this hype. Under these circumstances, which used vehicle models do you think worth the money we pay for ? ( for any price range )

You have the answer in your question itself . These days sellers are quoting high prices because the market is undergoing an uncertain period (tax hikes, Rupee devaluation etc). It should settle down in a few months time I guess.

Edited by Rumesh88

I think at moment only Euros are unaffected by this hype.even if you consider the risk of some parts failure,this seems to be a better deal. than paying about 3,4laks higher for a 18year old Jap in worse condition and with less options,comfort.

• Like 1

Well we do pay outrageous amounts for used cars don't we.

I think european models are a bit reasonably priced but I don't know about their specific issues.

Of the Jap versions fuel guzzlers such as cefiros are relatively cheaper, is comfortable has a few bells and whistles and don't cost you an arm and a leg.

Also noticed that around a year back good condition Lancers (CS1,2,3 not EX)were reasonably priced. 2010 lancer and 2001 Corolla 121 would cost the same. And mind you they are pretty decent rides.

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

Best bang for the buck in my opinion would be Protons and Kias.

They are not as bad as people make you believe, especially Protons which are really Mitsubishis underneath. They have always been in 1-1.2mill price range.

For little above 2 mill, you can get 2011 or so Fiat Linea nowadays. Ok Linea is a bloody slow car with its 1.4 ltr diesel engine. But its got Indian fuel economy, its relatively new so got some nice little options in it and parts are not hard to come by (many parts are compatible with Tata Indica Vista or something). For the same price you can also get a 2007 or so Italian made Fiat Punto.

Leave popular brands aside. They are never 'bang for the buck'.

• Like 3

I think at moment only Euros are unaffected by this hype.even if you consider the risk of some parts failure,this seems to be a better deal. than paying about 3,4laks higher for a 18year old Jap in worse condition and with less options,comfort.

true! I also believe going for a Euro seems much better trade off than buying a Jap currently. Even you could balance out pros and cons of each other , finally you'll have at least much better comfort/options with a euro.

Best bang for the buck in my opinion would be Protons and Kias.

They are not as bad as people make you believe, especially Protons which are really Mitsubishis underneath. They have always been in 1-1.2mill price range.

For little above 2 mill, you can get 2011 or so Fiat Linea nowadays. Ok Linea is a bloody slow car with its 1.4 ltr diesel engine. But its got Indian fuel economy, its relatively new so got some nice little options in it and parts are not hard to come by (many parts are compatible with Tata Indica Vista or something). For the same price you can also get a 2007 or so Italian made Fiat Punto.

Leave popular brands aside. They are never 'bang for the buck'.

Couldn't agree more. Do you think Audi B8 is reasonably priced?

I was referring to diesel Euros going around 2mil,not the gas guzzlers.

Euro diesels do get great mileage because they were engineered to do so appeal to fleet managers and meet combimed emissions requirements.

Whhat do you mean by gas guzzlers exactly? Other than the 3lt+ or so specimens which are more performance oriented? Why I ask is because I get 7 to 8 in city out of a 2ltr 4 banger which is what some 1.6-1.8lt japs get.

I think comparably Nissan Cefero, Toyota Mark 2 and Sri Lankan made Micro cars like MX7 and Pandas and Mitsubihi Lancers not been affected much by recent price changes

Edited by AbeysinghE

Yes hoonigan is right,European gasolines give better mileage campared to japs like cefiro. Maybe due to advanced technology,higher fuel pressures,better mixture control etc. Crosswind,I have seen A6 diesels going around 2.5 millions few months ago,you mean these prices are also rising now?

Yes hoonigan is right,European gasolines give better mileage campared to japs like cefiro. Maybe due to advanced technology,higher fuel pressures,better mixture control etc. Crosswind,I have seen A6 diesels going around 2.5 millions few months ago,you mean these prices are also rising now?

Well in all fairness....my Mark X with a 2.5L engine now gets a tad lower than 7 on average and this is in heavy traffic. Granted when I first bought it I barely got 5 out of it.

Euro diesels do get great mileage because they were engineered to do so appeal to fleet managers and meet combimed emissions requirements. Whhat do you mean by gas guzzlers exactly? Other than the 3lt+ or so specimens which are more performance oriented? Why I ask is because I get 7 to 8 in city out of a 2ltr 4 banger which is what some 1.6-1.8lt japs get.

the amount of ridicules about euros are too damn high...yet thats why these sweet rides are affordable :D...

Edited by asier

I think comparably Nissan Cefero, Toyota Mark 2 and Sri Lankan made Micro cars like MX7 and Pandas and Mitsubihi Lancers not been affected much by recent price changes

I noticed that 3rd gen Prius is also slowly crawling back to its old price. Probably because of new 4th gen.

Edited by Goro

The answer to your question depends on how committed you are to the car you buy.

If you are not a committed car owner and hope to pump petrol in one end expect miles to come out the other, buy a 0 mileage jap car thats very popular right now with a decent warranty, from agents or a reputed importer. And sell it off before it gives trouble (e.g. wagon-r, aqua, fit, axio, vezel)

If you are ready to commit i.e. don't mind putting in a bit of time and effort to look for parts or sit on a garage bench, or simply put, if you got good contacts in the local car scene, first of all congratulations on being a human being. You've just opened up the pandora's box of local cars. Now you can buy the sort of car that makes the typical sri lankan motorist run the other way. you know the type who start a conversation asking "meka thel keeyak karanawada?" The cars range from performance or left field jap cars to the less obvious euros and classics. Maybe the odd american or korean here and there. This sort of car will most of the time hold its value if not appreciate, it'll definitely put a smile on your face everytime you take it out, all in exchange for a little bit of tlc.

• Like 1