• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda City (Gd8) Idle Drops Way Below Than 500

PerfMad

Hi Guys..

Few weeks back my honda city GD8 (2004) model car started an engine miss when I change the gear to D position or any other driving mode position.

When I put it to Neutral it stays without any miss. Only issue is this issue doesnt come always.. It comes after like running it 2-3km (when the engine is HOT) or sometimes it doesnt happen even if you run like 10km.

When I told this to my mechanic he did the following :

1. Did a engine tune-up (exactly after 1 day issue came up again)

2. Checked the plugs, out of 8 plug wires one was broken therefore replaced that as well (issue didnt disappear)

3. Checked the fuel pressure of the engine bay filter (i think that's the correct name) and it has the required pressure as well

4. Today he will be checking the fuel pump in petrol tank to rectify the issue.

I would like to get your opinions as well if anyone have face similar issues ??

NOTE: Car have done 126k genuine millage & has a 7 speed CVT gearbox

Cheers

Did you check the coil packs?

When i meant by plugs i think i was referring to coil packs.. Mine has 8 packs (8 spark plugs) so only one was broken and replaced it..

Just called the mechanic and I was told that petrol pump was blocked a bit (he has replaced it).. He will do few trails .. could it happen due to anyother reason?

Since this doesnt happen always as in as soon as u start or not may b in short distance sometimes, its not easy to replicate the issue as well.. But last few days issue came up everytime, therefore mechanic is checking everything related to fuel line at the moment.

have you done any repair like Tappets adjustments? Are you noticing any noise difference of the engine apart from the engine miss?

No tappet sound.. Engine runs smoothly even in neutral, issue comes only when the gear is engaged. Cannot move the car at all, more I press the gas pedal more it try to stall, as soon as I put it to neutral it idles properly.

+1 for checking coil packs. Failing ignition coils usually start giving erratic ignition when the engine warms up.

As part of the fuel system clean-up, I assume the Idle Air Control valve and MAF sensor were cleaned as well.

• Like 1

When i meant by plugs i think i was referring to coil packs.. Mine has 8 packs (8 spark plugs) so only one was broken and replaced it..

Just called the mechanic and I was told that petrol pump was blocked a bit (he has replaced it).. He will do few trails .. could it happen due to anyother reason?

Since this doesnt happen always as in as soon as u start or not may b in short distance sometimes, its not easy to replicate the issue as well.. But last few days issue came up everytime, therefore mechanic is checking everything related to fuel line at the moment.

The things looks like this.Did you replaced the broken one with a used or reconditioned one?

img66298850.jpg

• Like 1

No tappet sound.. Engine runs smoothly even in neutral, issue comes only when the gear is engaged. Cannot move the car at all, more I press the gas pedal more it try to stall, as soon as I put it to neutral it idles properly.

As Davy pointed out, my guess is there is something related to IACV..Ask your mechanic to clean up the IACV as well.

• Like 1

+1 for checking coil packs. Failing ignition coils usually start giving erratic ignition when the engine warms up.

As part of the fuel system clean-up, I assume the Idle Air Control valve and MAF sensor were cleaned as well.

Hi Davy

I really can't remember what he told, but he said there was lot of carbon and he cleaned everything.. I need to check with him whether he cleaned Idle Air Control valve and MAF sensor as well ( Thanks for reminding me that)

Im not pretty sure he checked those or just cleaned the throttle body + injectors

Hi Davy

I really can't remember what he told, but he said there was lot of carbon and he cleaned everything.. I need to check with him whether he cleaned Idle Air Control valve and MAF sensor as well ( Thanks for reminding me that)

Im not pretty sure he checked those or just cleaned the throttle body + injectors

The things looks like this.Did you replaced the broken one with a used or reconditioned one?

img66298850.jpg

Hi Gayan

Yes i was referring to this. And he have replaced the broken one, not quite sure whether its a recon or brand-new. I was told that it cost 6000. Even after that issue didn't resolve.

Latest update is, he has replaced the fuel pump in petrol tank which again cost me 3000. Hope that will fix the issue..

Anything else that can be think of ??

Hi Gayan

Yes i was referring to this. And he have replaced the broken one, not quite sure whether its a recon or brand-new. I was told that it cost 6000. Even after that issue didn't resolve.

Latest update is, he has replaced the fuel pump in petrol tank which again cost me 3000. Hope that will fix the issue..

I guess a brand new honda coil pack cost around 12k I'm not sure.But if the pump replacement didn't help you should pay attention to the replaced one.If the pump was so bad you would occur start up problems.Did the garage guy did a ecu scan?If there is any sensor errors it could have figured it.I had a problem like this before the culprit was MAF sensor but didn't detect on ecu.

• Like 1

I guess a brand new honda coil pack cost around 12k I'm not sure.But if the pump replacement didn't help you should pay attention to the replaced one.If the pump was so bad you would occur start up problems.Did the garage guy did a ecu scan?If there is any sensor errors it could have figured it.I had a problem like this before the culprit was MAF sensor but didn't detect on ecu.

I just called him, he have cleaned the sensors during the tune-up, and he have replaced the fuel pump as well..

now as per him issue is sorted.. I'm gonna take it home today and check it these days to make sure its gone permanently.. if issue persists will contact you all..

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

Cheers

Hi All -->[ Latest update ]

I got the car yesterday and mechanic have done like 5-10km ride and he claimed issue didn't come up.. I also drove it for like 5-10km and the issue came up again. After the recent changes yesterday i felt like;

- Car cranks few more times than it was before to get it started (what could be the issue ?)

** I'm gonna put the car to the mechanic again tomorrow to get it scanned

Could this be due to CVT gearbox failure ?

Yesterday I noticed that once I put it to D and hold the brake paddle for sometime rev goes down and it starts to shake and feel like gear engaging and disengaging .. sometimes it keeps happening, but sometime when i release the brake paddle it moves without any issue..

Hi Gayan

Really? Fuel pump just cost you only 3000 rupees? I thought it would be much pricier due to it's hard to reach location.

• Like 1

I guess your mechanic is not that competent bro.He's one of those guys who wants to replace everything till the error disappears.Did he check the fuel pressure before replacing the fuel pump?The symptoms you are describing if all other sensors are in good shape can also occur because of a bad fuel pressure regulator.Before going into major repairs like looking at the gearbox you should try replacing all the spark plugs first.Then check the fuel pressure at start up and off.Get a proper ECU scan.The car shakes when you apply break is because it put load on the engine.

As someone said above either your IACV,MAF is gone or fuel pressure regulator at culprit.Or a very bad coil pack your mechanic can't figure out.

Edited by GayanR
  • Like 1

I guess your mechanic is not that competent bro.He's one of those guys who wants to replace everything till the error disappears.Did he check the fuel pressure before replacing the fuel pump?The symptoms you are describing if all other sensors are in good shape can also occur because of a bad fuel pressure regulator.Before going into major repairs like looking at the gearbox you should try replacing all the spark plugs first.Then check the fuel pressure at start up and off.Get a proper ECU scan.The car shakes when you apply break is because it put load on the engine.

As someone said above either your IACV,MAF is gone or fuel pressure regulator at culprit.Or a very bad coil pack your mechanic can't figure out.

Hey Guys

Latest update....

Looks like the culprit was the fuel pump( i assume that's what you mean by fuel pressure regulator). The one which was replaced was also a defect(had a leak) and due to that I had issues with starting (usually car starts from 3 cracks, but after replacement it was 4-5). Changed the fuel pump again with a good one and everything was sorted. Total cost was around 13k (tuneup, 1 coil pack replacement, fuel pump & labor)

Thanks for your valuable inputs guys..