• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Off Roading For Beginner

Strikeee

Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying a SUV to do some off roading. I won't be doing extreme off roading, but to travel in dirt tracks, sandy beaches etc where a typical family sedan can't go.

At the moment I am looking at a 2002-2005 Mitsi Montero V6 3.5L. I know petrol engines are not as good as diesel when it comes to off roading, but my budget only cater up to this.

So can you share you expert advice regarding this.

Is it worth to buy a Montero & is it worth to buy a petrol?

Cheer

Good choice, Yes it's capable of everything you want and more from a SUV.

Apart from purchase cost, consider the cost of insurance+fuel.(Yes they are very thirsty whatever fuel they burn.)

The pick of the bunch - the Montero Exceed with Duel A/C

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying a SUV to do some off roading. I won't be doing extreme off roading, but to travel in dirt tracks, sandy beaches etc where a typical family sedan can't go.

At the moment I am looking at a 2002-2005 Mitsi Montero V6 3.5L. I know petrol engines are not as good as diesel when it comes to off roading, but my budget only cater up to this.

Cheer

Hello Strikeee

Visit the beauty of the mother nature is good but need to do it with a limits.

My personal opinion is diesel engine for 4WD, as you get good power plus cheap to run, In SL i use the 2010 Hilux Smart Cab with 2KD-FTV, I am not sure what is your requirement, you may going to use the truck as family vehicle/ off road truck.

Here in NZ i am using LC PRADO VX KZJ150 with few modifications (chipped ECU for xtra power, pedal torque kit, EFS shocks, etc.....), set your mind with the vehicle you want and then can give the idea's

I have just finish 2000km trip and back home

regards

JC

Drove a friend's 3.8 V6 Montero on sand once. The first thing I noticed was that the visibility was much much better compared to the Wrangler I was using back then. Had enough power and never really had to redline it to get out of trouble. Haven't driven any diesels offroad so can't really say anything about that. But I would imagine the low end torque of diesels are why they are preferred. If you only plan to do light offroading, the Montero in stock guise will be more than enough. But as others have mentioned, the fuel costs might make saving up for the diesel a better idea.

Unless u are looking for luxury off-roading, I suggest something more on the lines of Isuzu Trooper. The BigHorn versions are pretty good. And diesel. And the Nissan Patrols can't be beat. You can do some research at the Nissan Patrol club before committing, a lot of those guys take their jeeps pretty seriously. There is also a 4x4 club that should be pretty active. April is peak trip season for a lot of them.

Have seen some images Nissan patrol club posting on FB, they are serious, wana join with them for a trip or two once in SL if they happy to shake the hands with Toyota. :smilie_liebe9:

Some of the guys at the club driving the their gasoline trucks for the events and pretty impressive with the power from their 1UZ-FE's but all fitted with long range tanks and we are just stick to our factory.

regards

JC

Unless u are looking for luxury off-roading, I suggest something more on the lines of Isuzu Trooper. The BigHorn versions are pretty good. And diesel. And the Nissan Patrols can't be beat. You can do some research at the Nissan Patrol club before committing, a lot of those guys take their jeeps pretty seriously. There is also a 4x4 club that should be pretty active. April is peak trip season for a lot of them.

Oh yes the Patrol. I was seriously considering a Y60 Flat roof when I moved back. But the wife shot that idea out of the sky and had to settle for a far more domesticated option. There were some nice examples that used to come up for sale at decent prices. But I also heard that body swaps and there was rampant cut and bud action with them, not sure how far that is true though.

• 3 months later...
On 3/15/2016 at 11:02 AM, Strikeee said:

Hi guys,

Cheer

Bro.. It's not good having a petrol engine jeep for offroading cuz .. it has spark plugs and a ecu.. if mud water leaks to your ecu that's it. If u go with a diesel engine those problems would not occour .. you can get a landcruiser or a petrol y60 or a y61. Those are beasts .. 

Turboholic.

• 1 year later...